Mudrig150

Engine shutoff relay

Mudrig150

Where the heck would I find a shutoff relay for magneto ignition? One that is open when it has power and grounds when it doesn't. All I can find are freaking fuel shutoff solenoids. I need a relay to kill a magnum.

gwest_ca

This relay is very popular in autos also. Click on the picture.

We can get here complete with a plug-in socket which makes for a nice installation. This company is a lot like Harbor Freight.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/30-40a-12v-dc-change-over-relay-with-5-wire-socket/A-p8402042e

Garry

gwest_ca

What model of WH do you have?

Wheel Horse did this very thing years ago. A battery style ignition switch was used to control the ignition on models with magneto ignition by the relay.

Garry

Achto
27 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

All I can find are freaking fuel shutoff solenoids. I need a relay to kill a magnum

You should be able to just use a key switch that has an M terminal. There is very little amperage on the ignition system so I don't really see a need to use a kill relay / solenoid. Run your kill wire to the M terminal and a ground wire to the G terminal of the switch. These two terminals should have continuity to each other when the switch is in the off position, thus killing the engine. JMO

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Mudrig150

I'd need a switch with Regulator, Battery, Magneto, Start, and Accesory. Very hard to find. Most tractors have a switch with Lights, but I need one with a constant power terminal.

Mudrig150

So I need a normally closed relay?

Achto

The "A" accessory terminal should have continuity to "B" when the switch is in the on position and be open when the switch is off. This would work for you regulator.

SwDiagF.jpg.79834f208baaa3e7fa2cb59af6eb3d25.jpg

A switch like this could be salvaged out of almost any old Murray that had electric start.

Edited by Achto

Achto
11 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

So I need a normally closed relay?

Here is a real common and easy to find relay. Available at any auto parts store for less than $10.

shopping.jpg.f1c04375e89a9b5417281c006431a24f.jpg

Terminal 87a is normally closed, term 87 is normally open to term 30. Kill wire is connected to 30. Switch power is connected to 85. Ground is connected to 86 & 87a. This would accomplish killing the engine using a relay.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1