Vincez

1989 Wheel Horse Model 2110806 not startingf

Vincez

My 310-8 machine was working fine, except for me having to jump start the engine because of a bad safety shut-off switch, which I can't seem to get fixed.  So, I've been jump starting it with a screwdriver for a couple of years now.  Last week, I mowed the grass and it was working just fine, however, when I went to start it today, nothing.  I charged the battery, just in case, with the same result - - no "click", and will not turn over.  I suspect either the solenoid or the starter went, but don't know how to determine which one?  I am not savvy on the use of a multimeter, so, if you could provide details on the connections an settings related to troubleshooting, please advise.  I don't want to randomly start replacing parts...

Thanks

P.S - Where can one buy the parts these days?

Edited by Vincez
Additional question

gwest_ca

This is good manual on multimeter use. For starters familiarize yourself with taking DC (Direct current) voltage readings. That will take you a long way toward isolating the problem. You need to find out how far the voltage is getting.

Do you know if the engine must be running for the lights to work? There is conflicting info on which system the 21-10K806 uses.

This one does not require the engine to run for headlights to work

The starter circuit has it's own diagram making it much easier to understand.

Post any questions you have and we will walk you through the test procedure.

Garry

953 nut

348760804_1electrical.jpg.56be1872cefc6dc51301c41fc15f5e38.jpg

itsmeraymond
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

348760804_1electrical.jpg.56be1872cefc6dc51301c41fc15f5e38.jpg

This is a really good tip!

Vincez

Gentlemen... Thank you for the useful diagrams and volt meter document!  Now I could use your help in MAKING and CHECKING the meter connections.  First thing I did was to check the voltage across the battery, to rule out the battery itself - - it read 4 on the DC scale (30 volt setting).  Next, I went between the positive terminal of the battery and the output side of the solonoid and also to the starter - -  4 reading.  I also checked the 25 amp fuse and it looks good.

I need assistance on where to make any other connections I need to determine the cause of no-start, no-click - - soloniod, starter or something else?

With the wiring diagram I can see where to make the connections, I just need to know the proper meter setting and expected reading...

gwest_ca

If you are getting 4 volts DC across the battery posts there is your problem. It is a 12 volt battery so expect to see slightly more like 12.5 volts if the battery has a decent charge.

The 30 volt scale means that setting will measure up to 30 volts or 29.99 volts.

Try measuring across the actual battery posts - not the bolts or the cables bolted to the posts.

Garry