Oldcpecdr

Pulling a small stump

Oldcpecdr

Hey all

I need to pull a small stump that probably will pull right out, I moved it around with the plow blade today and almost got it free.

Should I pull it with my B100 with a Hydro, or my C100 with an 8 speed and just go easy on the clutch in low low ?

Which am I LEAST likely to do damage with ?

Thanks

Mike B

wh5.jpg

wh6.jpg

Edited by Oldcpecdr

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would use the 8 speed in low range

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

I would do the granny low as well. As long as you have traction and wheel weights 

go for it !!!

857 horse

Yep,,,what Elcamino Jim said.......

low gear...2 or 3rd gear,,,,,,,and its gonna be fun....LET IT EAT,!!!!!!!!!

The BIG SHOW is in 3 weekss......come and have a ball.   

Jim....your coming/????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

953 nut

I would use the 8 speed in second high. Put a couple wraps of chain as low on the stump as you can get and just let the weight of the moving tractor do the work. Don't try yanking it out full blast, you will find the weakest part of your :wh: if you force it.   :scared-yipes:

• Like 3

wfrpalm

I don't have an opinion on the tractor to use but some pics of the operation would be cool, good luck.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Either one.    I test all my Sundstrands and Eatons by chaining them to a tree and let them dig.      The heaviest tractor with the best tires will be the best stump puller.  You need traction.

Do not get a running start.  That's how frames get separated from the transmissions and skulls get cracked by flying rigging and stumps.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldcpecdr

I'll post some pics tomorrow ...even if it shows a dumb a@@ move on my part...see if I can get SWMBO

to be the photographer !!!! 

I can actually get the drive wheels on pavement so traction should be fine until I run out of chain LOL....

Mike B

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

I have five  acres  of trees behind my house!  Yeeeee  Haaaaaa! 

I wonder how many feet a rope that would take to do that!? 

Edited by The Tool Crib

FatJackDurham
42 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Do you have any pulleys and some rope?

i've seen something similar with an ATV. What strength was the rope rated for, same for the pulleys and where did you get the pulleys?

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

i've seen something similar with an ATV. What strength was the rope rated for, same for the pulleys and where did you get the pulleys?

That’s not me, I just saw it one time and referenced it :handgestures-thumbupright:

adsm08

Don't do this:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

FatJackDurham

HAHAHAHA I had something similar happen when I got a jeep stuck in the mud. A truck tried to pull me out and bounced backwards. My jeep didn't move. I had to have it lifted out with an excavator!!!

gwest_ca

What I would do is dig down so you can get a chain or cable around one of the large roots next to the stump and pull that. If the stump is rotted enough you may pull that one off and get a feel for what it will take to do the rest. Once the roots are off one side the rest will come easy.

I can pull 6000 lbs using 4 blocks and cable using a C-120 8-Speed at an idle in 1st and low range walking beside the tractor. If I add the 2nd set of 4 blocks the pull increases to 30000 lbs and this is when it gets scary. One needs to be aware of the strength limits of the chains, cables and blocks you are using so no one gets hurt.

Garry

• Like 3

Oldcpecdr

EPIC FAIL !!!!!

Well all hooked up, ready to go , let out the clutch and slowly tugged and tugged, WHEEL SPIN, any and every gear ughhhhh!!!!!

AND on pavement !!!!

My wife laughing the whole time I got my trusty tow van, hooked up the chain, and DONE in about 4 seconds,,,, Guess I need to gain some weight,,,,

Mike B

stumpy1.jpg

stumpy2.jpg

stumpy3.jpg

stumpy4.jpg

• Like 4

71_Bronco

Good to hear you got it done without breaking anything lol.

I had to pull out some giant vines from a tree this weekend. I tried to pull them out by hand, but they were too tall and too wrapped up in the tree.

I wrapped a rope around the vine, and the other end to my Commando 8. Put it in first gear and chugged, and down came about 40 feet of vine, about 2-1/2" thick at the bottom. No tire spin.

Jeff-C175
On 5/31/2019 at 6:35 PM, pullstart said:

Do you have any pulleys and some rope?

I wonder if he considered what might happen if one of those ropes snapped?

I can just imagine one of the pulley blocks flying through the air at high speed right a the back of his head.

Can you say BIG SLINGSHOT ?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I wonder if he considered what might happen if one of those ropes snapped?

I can just imagine one of the pulley blocks flying through the air at high speed right a the back of his head.

Can you say BIG SLINGSHOT ?

Typically when pulling something like that, a towel or other rope, tow strap, etc helps to alleviate that slingshot energy.  I’ve had to spend quite a bit of time unwinding what it tore into to kill the energy, but learned my lesson after sending a chain through the back window of my mud truck, past my face and piling up on the dash.

Jeff-C175
On 5/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, adsm08 said:

Don't do this:

ID10T  error code.

• Haha 4

seuadr
43 minutes ago, LeeDonna said:

Why do you make everything so complicated?

well isn't that an awesome first post!

• Haha 3

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

past my face

Missed this guys face... maybe that would have been less painful?

Here... hold my beer

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 7

Wheel Horse 3D

Another stump pulling trick..leave the stump tall! gives ya leverage when its time to pull it.

• Like 1

balconio

My days of stump pulling with the wheel horse are over... Tried pulling a small but sturdy stump with mine and I ended up with my hitch dug into the ground and my front wheels pointing straight up in the sky. It happened real fast but luckily I turned off the ignition before flipping over completely... I panicked and didn't have my foot covering the clutch. Luckily no damage to the tractor or operator, I had to bend the fender out just a tad after flopping her back onto 4 wheels.

Anyhow my 6k lb Suburban is much better for stump pulling and has proper tow hooks and 4wd. The wheel horse is still great for dragging logs out of the woods where the truck won't fit though.

• Like 1