mikeeyre74

Modern Eaton in an old Charger?

mikeeyre74

I have a 1968 or 69 Charger, and the transmission it isn’t the greatest. I have an Eaton 1100 from a 1980 something off in the side yard. If and when the Sunstrand kicks the bucket,  what are the chances that the Eaton will fit in there, if I have a complete donor tractor to take parts from? 

JAinVA

Bolt patterns to the frame should be no problem.I just went out and measured both and they seem to be the same.The only real issue I can see based on comparing the two is that the Sunstrand has a rectangular bolt pattern for the seat mount and the Eaton has a two bolt center pattern. Of course you already know that the control setups are completely different between the two.

Edited by JAinVA

mikeeyre74

I have the remains and carcasses of several tractors from various years out behind the shed, so I have a fair selection of brackets and gizmos to choose from to make this happen, but I was just looking for someone to say “well you can’t do this part, because blah blah blah won’t lineup”. It’s not what I’d like to do ideally,  but I have a good drive train from the modern tractor and I have a bad drivetrain in the old tractor that I am partial too. It just seems like someone is telling me to DO it...  but with the flip seat that the charger has, I’m sure I’m going to run into problems with that being retained, and I would be sad to see that go  

953 nut
47 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

just looking for someone to say “well you can’t do this part, because blah blah blah won’t lineup”.

Sorry, can't help you there.....YOU CAN DO IT AND IT HAS BEEN DONE!

This thread by  @19richie66 covers replacing the Sundstrand  in a GT-14 with an Eaton 1100. Of course you won't have to swap out longer axles so yours will be even simpler!                 YOU CAN DO IT!

Image result for you can do it    

19richie66

All the modern control linkages should bolt into the holes the old stuff comes out of fairly easy. Might have to open up a hole or two. The while direction lever assembly comes out and the newer assemblyshould slide in it’s place. I am not completely sure but if you have a complete donor tractor, you have all the parts you need. As far the seat mount, weld a plate into the bottom of the one you want to keep and drill the two holes. You may have to relocate the oil filter adapter but Lowell can make you new hoses if you need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ericj

the problem I see is the charger has he tool box under the seat that is a part of the main dash tower, that would interfere with the eaton pump and linkage. good luck

eric j 

Edited by ericj

pfrederi
23 minutes ago, ericj said:

the problem I see is the charger has he tool box under the seat that is a part of the main dash tower, that would interfere with the eaton pump and linkage. good luck

eric j 

Charger Tool boxes are not part of the hoodstand they bolt to the top of the transaxle and to the belt guard.

• Like 1

19richie66

Nothing a plasma cutter couldn’t handle :laughing-rolling: I am not familiar with the setup on that particular older tractor. I know on the gt14 I just had to trim a little off the one side plate. Be interested in seeing if it could be done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sarge

If that older hydrogear decides to give up the ghost - swap it out with a later model C series piston to piston Sundstrand. Best transmission they ever made, repairable - and pretty much bulletproof without all the hacking of the original tractor. A lot of folks knock the Sundstrands, but given their age, lack of proper maintenance and general abuse by owners - they are a very well made system and will last a very long time. Parts are still out there as well, so don't give up so easily. There are a lot of threads on here about repairs and we have sources for parts and information as well.

Sarge

• Like 2

19richie66

We had the Sundstrand pumps in the Toro Groundsmasters at work when I started there back in the late 80’s.They took a beating for sure. We had parts back then and every now and then had to go into one. Definitely heavy duty. The only reason I put the Eaton in my gt14 is I already had it and all the parts from a parts tractor and knew it was good. Plus I cannot leave anything alone.  I do agree with you Sarge, proper maintenance is everything.

• Like 2

Super-C 4 me
On 5/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, mikeeyre74 said:

I have a 1968 or 69 Charger, and the transmission it isn’t the greatest. I have an Eaton 1100 from a 1980 something off in the side yard. If and when the Sunstrand kicks the bucket,  what are the chances that the Eaton will fit in there, if I have a complete donor tractor to take parts from? 

Hey Mike 

its Brian, I sold you a charger 12 roller last summer.

It just so happens I have a sunstrand out of a charger 10

works perfect, just heading down another road for my Charger project.

Its available if you’re interested 

Brian

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

Hi Brian! That was you? I  was just thinking about that machine the other day, because there are still a few pieces of it left kicking around here in the shed and I couldn’t remember where it came from? The transmission from that machine is now in service on my friends charger and the shifting apparatus took up residence in the machine that I speak of above,  along with a few other pieces.  That roller has brought back two tractors to life. 

I just managed to drag out the above mentioned machine from the shed yesterday, and now that I look at it, I’m not sure what I was thinking? It appears to be in satisfactory condition and usable quite fine as it is? I guess I sort of forgot where I left off with it at the end of last year and figured the worst… But it appears to be quite OK by the looks of things. Now I just got to figure out what to do with that eaten that’s taking up space in my side yard that I’m getting tired of looking at.  Now I just got to figure out what to do with that eaten that’s taking up space in my side yard that I’m getting tired of looking at. 😜

19richie66

If I was closer 👍