TonyToro

Our first pull of the year

TonyToro

We had our first pull this past Sunday. We tinkered all winter and had to wait until Sunday to find out how they will perform. Each tractor ran great. Nothing broke. That’s always a plus. I need to get a set of tires for the Raider 14. My son wants tri ribs. The rim is a 6” any suggestions on size would be appreciated. The Raider 12 always has to crank forever for it to start. Im thinking to switch that one from magnito to a coil. Hopefully this solves the starting problem. The WorkHorse just needs more power. It starts and runs amazing but that Briggs just doesn’t seem to have the same power the Kohlers have.  Overall very pleased with the the outcome of the first pull. Great time with lots of great people. 

1AC46498-0FB3-4F85-BA06-C12A7ED74659.jpeg

DE85FCC2-009B-4177-B1CB-8A017A91AA65.jpeg

09CBEBAB-2874-480B-8B8A-701D6CAC9C70.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Wicked cool!!

Glad you had a good time...

What's the size and type of Briggs in comparison to the Kohler engines that you're running?

I've had the same experience with the 8 horse Briggs not quite having the trailer pulling power that the 8 horse Kohler does. It really wasn't far off though.

Our comparison is an aluminum Briggs to a steel Kohler so the Kohler engine would be able to hold the front end down better. That helps with overall safety and steering and traction of course.

Kind of wondering to myself why you are having starting issues. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the solution is there but I'm not sure if switching to a coil is going to be the actual answer.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Is it starting that way when it’s warm, cold, both?  Maybe try a shot of starting fluid, possibly the fuel is running back towards the tank or otherwise flooding the cylinder?

TonyToro
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Wicked cool!!

Glad you had a good time...

What's the size and type of Briggs in comparison to the Kohler engines that you're running?

I've had the same experience with the 8 horse Briggs not quite having the trailer pulling power that the 8 horse Kohler does. It really wasn't far off though.

Our comparison is an aluminum Briggs to a steel Kohler so the Kohler engine would be able to hold the front end down better. That helps with overall safety and steering and traction of course.

Kind of wondering to myself why you are having starting issues. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the solution is there but I'm not sure if switching to a coil is going to be the actual answer.

The Work Horse has a an 11hp Briggs. The Raider has a12hp Kohler. The Raider pulls great and looses traction before loosing any power. The GT1100 Work Horse looses power before loosing traction. I may try a different pulley on the engine. 

The problem with with the Raider 12 starting is it cranks for ever before it fires. I noticed the spark isn't all that great until it finally starts. The battery is even over sized thinking it needed more cold cranking amps.

ebinmaine

If you are comparing apples to apples and same tractor to same tractor and same pulley to same pulley.....

My past experience is that the 11 horse Briggs is a great little engine and ran really well for me in particular but just does not have the kind of torque that the Kohler does.

I do realize that it's only a 1 horsepower difference but the Kohler engine just seems to have more grunt when you need it.

As to the hard starting on your Kohler engine, it probably would be a good idea to start a thread in the engine section and describe all of the symptoms that you have.

A larger CCA battery certainly isn't going to hurt anything but it shouldn't have much effect on how quickly an engine starts.

I'm thinking that some diagnostic testing may need to be in order. ( I've had past experiences where I thought for sure that it was spark related and it turned out that the fuel system was inadequate.)