JAinVA

Wheel Horse on the side

JAinVA

Last fall Big Ugly started leaking at both axle seals.When I went to drain the oil out the drain plug hex stripped.This tractor never saw any cover before I got it and the plug probably was never taken out before.The thought of getting under the rear of the tractor and drilling out the plug was not appealing.I have dodged hot steel shavings all my adult life.The thought of pulling the trans out was not fun either.So this made life easier.Since the engine was off already the 520 wasn't that heavy.

2019.05.21.2012.JPG

2019.05.21.2014.JPG

2019.05.21.2015.JPG

2019.05.21.2016.JPG

2019.05.21.2017.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

oldredrider

Oh we're gonna have fun with that rig at the show !!!:eusa-dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

No hostage taking please!          ransom.jpg.fad4a9e98d402626ad207985067869ed.jpg           :ychain:

Should I find it odd that you either already had that made up or made it up in just a few minutes??

:ROTF:

@JAinVA nice job on the repair.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

made up or made it up in just a few minutes

I was bored and there was nothing interesting on TV.       Amusement is where you find it, for me it is Red Square!       :woohoo:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete

I had to do the same with one of my C-175's.Lots easier drilling that plug out that way.I always replace the drain plug with an external square plug.Use Teflon tape too.Much easier to remove the next time. 

• Like 2

ericj
52 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Use Teflon tape too.

becareful what kind of Teflon tape you use. oil will eat normal Teflon. There are some kinds that will work. When I worked for the oil company on oil burners I was told always use pipe dope becuase of this. I have also seen this first hand since then. good luck

eric j

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, ericj said:

becareful what kind of Teflon tape you use. oil will eat normal Teflon. There are some kinds that will work. When I worked for the oil company on oil burners I was told always use pipe dope becuase of this. I have also seen this first hand since then. good luck

eric j

I'll second that. I've seen the White, water style Teflon tape go bad in petroleum fluids.

clueless

Yellow Teflon for petroleum.

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

The things you learn on this site...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, clueless said:

Yellow Teflon for petroleum.

I used to think that was exclusively true but a year or two ago I tried to buy some and I bought the yellow stuff because I "knew"  that was going to be correct.

I got it home and discovered that it was NOT OK for use with petroleum fluids.

It was natural gas tape.

I don't know if it would have worked okay anyway but I brought it back to the store and got one that had liquid petroleum in writing.

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

I had to do the same with one of my C-175's.Lots easier drilling that plug out that way.I always replace the drain plug with an external square plug.Use Teflon tape too.Much easier to remove the next time. 

A square head plug will interfere with some implements.  Even the hex socket type should be flush.

JAinVA

I used a square head brass plug .The original steel plug stuck out about an 1/8".I may get flamed for this comment but the Teflon tape is more of a lubricant than a sealer.Teflon under pressure creeps.

Edited by JAinVA

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

A square head plug will interfere with some implements.  Even the hex socket type should be flush.

I agree that it’ll interfere with a drawbar hitch!  I found a brass plug that fit flush to the case laying around in the shop because of that.  As you see, I also used PTFE.  Maybe I’ll have to go ahead and change that before I top it off!

19A67D71-935B-4B99-8B46-553D7BC3B6C7.jpeg

3FDDEE5F-5474-4AA7-A0BB-DC8ACD4626E3.jpeg

BDC8B98C-7C26-4B40-AEA4-C3DD084EEA1C.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
PTFE
  • Like 1

clueless
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I used to think that was exclusively true but a year or two ago I tried to buy some and I bought the yellow stuff because I "knew"  that was going to be correct.

I got it home and discovered that it was NOT OK for use with petroleum fluids.

It was natural gas tape.

I don't know if it would have worked okay anyway but I brought it back to the store and got one that had liquid petroleum in writing.

Yes, it needs to say for petroleum fluids on it, oil. Don't use it on any liquid gas connections :snooty:

JAinVA

On the Eaton 1100 that plug is a country mile away from the drawbar hitch.

bds1984

How many hood-less 520s do you have?!?

JAinVA

2015_10_29_002.JPG.424b4ce4c3fd30008176892e9a9f2598.JPGAt least two.This hood was on Big Ugly when I got it.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

bds1984

Yikes.  I guess my pieced together 520 doesn't look all that bad then.  I cannot believe how some people care (or lack of) for an piece of equipment like that after spending  so much to buy them new. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1