formariz

Driving us nuts

formariz

So like every year wife planted flower pots that she places in stairs in front of house and some around house. Every day now in the morning pots have been totally dug out and plants destroyed. I am thinking a raccoon but in 36 years here this never happened. What are they looking for? They don't eat the plant, just turn pot over and dig it out.

peter lena

grubs are  the main reason for garden /  plant destruction , they can show up at any time or area . bird droppings ,  wind and weather will also transfer microscopic life anywhere. since regularly treating my lawn areas with grub control my lawn has really filled out. by the way grubs are also the main food for  MOLES . since regularly towing a spikier behind while cutting , it has really opened up the heavy clay base in my lawn . grub control will will help you out , been there , pete

gwest_ca

I transplant hundreds of spruce trees and always mix a handful of bone meal in with the soil used to backfill the root ball. Many dug out until they found there was nothing to be salvaged. Learned dogs will do that but never see stray dogs. Do have foxes so maybe they were doing it.

Garry

formariz

This is crazy. One pot with a Sequoia that I brought from California has been out there for ever untouched until now. I have replaced same dirt in pits with what I salvaged from plants and they hit it again each night.

Pullstart

If it’s a coon, get a live trap and toss some marshmallows in it.  What you do with the coon thereafter is your choice.  I prefer my 17HMR, but any lead poisoning seems to do the trick around here!

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If it’s a coon, get a live trap and toss some marshmallows in it.  What you do with the coon thereafter is your choice.  I prefer my 17HMR, but any lead poisoning seems to do the trick around here!

I wouldn’t discount chipmunks... for as small as they are they can do some damage, and they will climb short heights. 

Squirrels are also bad about it. I have some petunias I have to stick back in the dirt every day, but only after I remove the brand new walnut from its pot. 

@pullstart.30-06 will get them, and no clean up 😂

• Like 2

formariz

I am thinking it has to be a raccoon . Only they are clever with those front paws like that. Just why now? It. Has climbed front steps all the way to door to get that pot.

formariz

This happens between 3 AM and 7 AM . I am thinking only raccoons. Chipmunks and squirrels are not around because of the cats.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

Get bigger cats 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

*Google searches* “Tame puma cubs for sale” 

Sounds like it might be a coon then after all. Sounds like a stylish new hat is in your future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darb1964

I think you have a skunks,that is their M.O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

clueless

Sound like an armadillo, but your in New Jersey. They say their are slowly migrating north, pray the don't :snooty:.

• Haha 2

LengerichKA88
4 minutes ago, clueless said:

Sound like an armadillo, but your in New Jersey. They say their are slowly migrating north, pray the don't :snooty:.

I’ve only ever seen one outside of captivity, and it was in southern Indiana. Blew me outta the water. 

formariz

This has gotten us plain furious. I am not a gun guy but I am thinking all kinds of crazy stuff with some woodworking tool. 

Getting some repellent for tonight for the time being and a trap if I find one.

I am also kind of thinking a skunk. 

Wife just said that there were tiny grubs in soil which came from compost pile. 

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

Hold the safety back on a brad nailer, ours is good for about 15ft..... I’m guessing :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

LengerichKA88

@pullstart, have you ever laced the marshmallows? 

Seems like if you used the big ones you could poison them, depending on the legality of that in your area *as well as other possible trap-ees*

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1

Darb1964

Skunks love grubs also bulbs plants, if you get one in a have a heart trap, move real slow and put a blanket over the trap to move it. Wear heavy leather gloves.then unfortunately drowning is next. Call animal control in your town, maybe they will help.

• Like 2

formariz

Wife planted them and it wasn't easy or her with Parkinson's. She is sort of heart broken over it, that is why I am so furious about this. It's all a out war now.

• Sad 2

LengerichKA88

I know here in Indiana, if you trap them they have to be released within the same county. 

If you do trap them and want to release the , I would get in touch with the local conservation officer nearest you and ask about local and state regulations. 

May not be a bad idea to do so anyway, our local animal control directs people to them for most wild life related issues.

Found this, May be of help

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/contact.htm

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib

They dont like moth balls if you dont mind the smell

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Call animal control BEFORE you trap. Trapping without permission n licenses in Maine is absolutely illegal. Not sure about where you are.

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I’ve only ever seen one outside of captivity, and it was in southern Indiana. Blew me outta the water. 

I had one cross the road in front of me a couple weeks ago in downtown South Bend. That's the only one I've even seen up here. :)

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
55 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

They dont like moth balls if you dont mind the smell

Thank you for the reminder! 

4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I had one cross the road in front of me a couple weeks ago in downtown South Bend. That's the only one I've even seen up here. :)

Good thing you saw it, that would’ve been a little rougher on the car than the other critters around. 

Racinbob

If it a coon you and you catch it live you better make sure it ends up where he can't come back. I was trying to catch feral cats in a live catch with a can of cat food as bit. They were killing my birds. Two mornings in a row I caught a coon and just released it. After that I'd find the trap tripped, no coon and an empty can of cat food outside the trap. He figured out how to get the food without getting caught. I was fed up so one evening I laced the cat food with 6 out of date prescription muscle relaxers. The next morning the trap was tripped, no coon and a half eaten can of food. Never saw him again...……….B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

trap was tripped,

That wasn’t the only thing “tripped” :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

formariz
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Call animal control BEFORE you trap. Trapping without permission n licenses in Maine is absolutely illegal. Not sure about where you are.

We pay so much in taxes in this state that I think we are allowed to do anything.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3