formariz

Driving us nuts

953 nut

Skunks love to dig up new plantings. A few years ago I gave up attempting to plant in one location because it was being dug up every night so I put a big rock in the hole. Next morning the area around the rock was all dug up. I was told that "Irish Spring" bath soap was repulsive to skunks (go figure, smells worse than they do) so I put some shavings of the soap in with my plantings from then on, problem went away. Skunks are around and dig for grubs in the yard, but they leave the plantings alone.

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

@pullstart, have you ever laced the marshmallows? 

Seems like if you used the big ones you could poison them, depending on the legality of that in your area 

No, but the live trap is out in the field.... and I can see it from the back window.  Don’t need to lace anything but lead in the fur stream.

• Like 2

Sparky

So before you can follow thru on a plan (poison, trap or weapon) you need to know what's doing the damage. Time for a motion activated trail camera or something along those lines. Once you review the footage you'll know exactly who the culprit is.

• Like 5

LengerichKA88
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

No, but the live trap is out in the field.... and I can see it from the back window.  Don’t need to lace anything but lead in the fur stream.

That’s the dream pest trap/disposal set up right there.  

I might be able to shoot it from my back window, but it’ll go through the other guys back window too 😂

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Call animal control BEFORE you trap. Trapping without permission n licenses in Maine is absolutely illegal. Not sure about where you are.

I wouldn’t have thought of that, thanks for the reminder!  All we need is a small game license to dispose of pest animals.  If I wanted to get real technical, I’m protecting my livestock if they are in the vacinity of the chicken coop. 

• Like 2

Stormin

Talking of needing licences for shooting anything, we need a licence to shoot crows would you believe. I've been threatening to shoot a couple that have been making pests of them selves. Mentioned it the a neighbouring farmer. He said you only need a licence if you get caught. :D

• Haha 4

squonk

It was probably this cat! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darb1964

If the tax thinking was true you could be a cereal killer in Mass. Without worry.

• Haha 2