Moparfanforever

60 inch Deck Questions

Moparfanforever

I am going to look at 520 with a 60" deck , but i thought i read on here that big heavy can do damage to parts of the tractor ?? If that is correct , can anyone tell me what to look for on the tractor that gets damaged ?? As heavy as the deck is , i can believe it would cause some damage.

Does that style of deck give a nice cut ??

Thanks !!

lynnmor

I have used a 60" for many years.  I have noticed more wear in the hitch but no failures.  The later model decks have rollers on the front corners and that will cause less gouging than the fixed skids on the early ones.  The cut is indeed nice and with the wide width you can trim better under and around trees and shrubs.  If you have very rough terrain, maybe the deck would work the tractor too hard.

When you look at the deck, check for rust at the rear corner of the discharge and for cracks at the nose.  I have welded the baffles in several places.  So flip it over (a two man job) and inspect carefully.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

daveoman1966

A few years ago, I bought a 520-H with the 60" deck on Ebay. When I picked it up in Barker, NY, the angle iron frame was cracked...both sides...where the 3/4" footrest bar is welded to the angle iron frame...both sides.  This is a weak point and SHOULD be reinforced.  I only bought it for the Onan engine and resold the HEAVY 60" deck. So, in a word....LOOK for a crack at these welds...both sides.  

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

Thanks for the info. , I will be sure to check the frame and deck for any damage.