mhlmeader

Suburban 400 restoration

mhlmeader

I wired up a 240v outlet for the air compressor today, and put together the sandblaster.....she blows!!! Prolly get some ppe, and blasting medium tomarrow and give her a try.

20190525_205227.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Looks like you have some really interesting stuff in that there play space..........

mhlmeader
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like you have some really interesting stuff in that there play space..........

Yeah, I've acquired some stuff, :)

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

blasting medium tomarrow and give her a try.

You will be best off avoiding silica sand. For your own safety use some "Black Beauty" or "Black Diamond" blasting abrasive. Tractor Supply sells it.

• Like 1

mhlmeader
Just now, 953 nut said:

You will be best off avoiding silica sand. For your own safety use some "Black Beauty" or "Black Diamond" blasting abrasive. Tractor Supply sells it.

Yeah, I been doing alot of reading up on it, and the Black Diamond is what I'm gonna get, the fine grit seems to be most recommended to avoid clogging, thanks for the recommendation.

• Heart 1

mhlmeader

Well yesterday was my first attempt ever at sand blasting, didn't go as well as I hoped.  But today I had better success I think.  It's not perfect, but it something to work from. 

20190527_110722.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

From the picture looks like you did good 

• Like 1

Jennifer
On 5/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, oldredrider said:

"Purtyfied"...like this:

20180610_125437.jpg

Could you please post a few more pictures of the engine on the sweet looking Horse!  Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mhlmeader

Get a useful tool, and the friends and family crawl outta the woodwork....blasted this door stop for my Dad. Today:)

20190528_171400.jpg

20190528_171351.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

Get a useful tool, and the friends and family crawl outta the woodwork....blasted this door stop for my Dad. Today:)

20190528_171400.jpg

20190528_171351.jpg

Niiiice

Also a boot scraper??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mhlmeader
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Niiiice

Also a boot scraper??

Huh!!!  Never made the connection.  Sounds good

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

mhlmeader

Parts is parts...making a lil more progress sandblasting...and making a mess

20190530_191517.jpg

20190530_191415.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

mhlmeader

https://youtu.be/u_TmWX6zJKk

No blasting today cause of rain and laziness,  but I did see if the engine would run, it PURRS!!

Edited by mhlmeader
Added video
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Niiiice....

Mikey the Monkey

Great thread. Great progress. How did that blaster work with that air compressor?  Pros and cons?

mhlmeader
5 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

Great thread. Great progress. How did that blaster work with that air compressor?  Pros and cons?

Thanks,  so far I would say I'm pleased with the blaster it has been working pretty well, once I kinda got it dialed in.  The pros and cons......it seems to work it's best at around 100psi or more, problem is the air compressor is only a 30 gal tank, so it really cant keep up for very long.  I can blast pretty good for about 3 minutes, then I close the valves on the blaster and let it build up more pressure, doesn't seem like a long time, but for the little parts and generall smallness of the tractor, it's really not too bad.  By then I need 5o wipe off the goggles anyway, just to see better.  A 60 gallon tank, would prolly be much better.  I'm using the finest grit material too, so glogging hasn't been an issue.

Cons!!...its messy!!.. I set up just outside my roll up door about 5 feet.  I,ll probably start closing the door abit to help that.  Still get alot of material back in the barn, no biggie, but just messy.  I wear goggles,  faceshield,  respirator, welding jacket and heavey leather gloves.  Moister in the blast materials can be an issue, but this has a water trap, and somewhere I read to use a 25' hose from the compressor to the blaster tank, and that's suppose to help aswell.   

Overall, I'm pleased, and can see myself using it for other small projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Can we see a pict of your work site, next time you're blasting parts...

so we can get an idea of what "messy" really means?   :thanks:

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

Thanks for the info. How long would you estimate it took to blast the parts in the picture with hood, frame and fenders? Looks like they turned out great.

mhlmeader
1 minute ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

Thanks for the info. How long would you estimate it took to blast the parts in the picture with hood, frame and fenders? Looks like they turned out great.

Hmmmm,  I'd say if I had it dialed in better when I was starting on those parts, all them could be done in about an hour, give or take.....I've only had about 4-5 blasting sessions,  and the first couple were the learning curve, a bigger capacity air compressor would definitely make things quicker, but I dont rush at it....after about an hour of blasting, I'm ready to get cleaned up anyway considering having worked a construction job all day to begin with.  I have the parts setting on a cart on plywood,  wheel it out the barn a few feet or so, load up, dress up, and have at it for awhile.

• Thanks 2

Mikey the Monkey

Great info, thanks a lot:greetings-clappingyellow:

mhlmeader

More sand blasting today. With the exception of the rear rims and a few smaller tractor parts, I think I'm about done blasting for awhile. Kept the roll up door closed this time, less debris in the barn.  

20190612_114936.jpg

20190612_122823.jpg

20190612_130146.jpg

20190612_122830.jpg

• Like 3

mhlmeader

Put the frontsie on the backsie and put two coats of etching primer on, figured I'd better stop before I messed up too badly, reevaluate some life choices and such....

20190613_193143.jpg

20190613_193134.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

mhlmeader

From what it was, to what it is.....pretty excited to see some new paint on it!!!

20190524_153915.jpg

20190615_193224.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

mhlmeader

20190616_141817.jpg

20190616_141833.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Are you coming to the big show?  That’s what Putt Putt looked like about this time last year :handgestures-thumbupright: