Goofey

Electric PTO clutch source

Goofey

Hi folks

I am in need of a new electric pto clutch. I was hoping to find one that was just about the same design as the originals was. Anyone know of a source for souch a thing, that ain't TORO original. Those are so very expensive if at all available. :-) Yes, I would preferre a new or rebuild unit if possible. No I would not convert to mechanical :-) if available

I have not been able to find one, so I'm hoping someone knows how.

It's for a 1 1/8" shaft.

Thanks

Edited by Goofey

ebinmaine

You could place an ad in our wanted section and see if any members have a spare they'd like to sell.

I've never had the experience of it but I understand to some extent they can be repaired or rewound.

The option I would personally choose is to call Lincoln at A to Z tractor.

One of our fine listed vendors.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have never seen an after market that could be used with out a lot of work if at all.  What is wrong with your clutch.  electrical or bearings???

Good used ones are not cheap. 

Edited by pfrederi

The Tuul Crib
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You could place an ad in our wanted section and see if any members have a spare they'd like to sell.

I've never had the experience of it but I understand to some extent they can be repaired or rewound.

The option I would personally choose is to call Lincoln at A to Z tractor.

One of our fine listed vendors.

:text-yeahthat:

953 nut

:WRS:

The most likely place to find a good used one would be on :techie-ebay:and any 1 1/8" electric clutch would work with a slight bit of modification. Warner makes most of what is out there so do a search for them.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Looking at an Electric PTO from a JD I will revise my earlier comment it might be possible to use it but you would only have a single sheeve pulley. you would have to fabricate a bracket to hold it. You may also have an issue with clearance around the drive pulley (belt to the transmission).  The JD pulley center would hit the drive pulley.  The WH version the center hub of the PTO rides against the drive pulley.  You may be able to solve that with spacers but I am not sure.  WH is on the left. 

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

• Like 1

Goofey
36 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

The most likely place to find a good used one would be on :techie-ebay:and any 1 1/8" electric clutch would work with a slight bit of modification. Warner makes most of what is out there so do a search for them.

OK, so what modefications, and wich to chose. CW or CCW. I'm not sure here :-) 

And I don't see any of the warners that looks anything like the original. Is that just not available?

Goofey
14 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Looking at an Electric PTO from a JD I will revise my earlier comment it might be possible to use it but you would only have a single sheeve pulley. you would have to fabricate a bracket to hold it. You may also have an issue with clearance around the drive pulley (belt to the transmission).  The JD pulley center would hit the drive pulley.  The WH version the center hub of the PTO rides against the drive pulley.  You may be able to solve that with spacers but I am not sure.  WH is on the left. 

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

I also have been thinking that it could be made to fit. Only problem is the design/looks of it. thats why I hoped for a more original looking unit.

The old one is ratteling, and it has begun cutting out, so from other threads, I gather it's just a matter of time to meltdown.

I have located a nice original unit, but it is more expensive that a new heavy duty unit, and still 40 years old.

Goofey

Could one take the coil and "discs" from a new unit, and fit them into the old housing?

pfrederi

Virtually all of the new Electric PTOs are designed to run a deck on vertical shaft engines and thus are some what the reverse of the WH.  The coil is mounted close to the engine on new ones with pulley out board.  WH are just the opposite.  I have no idea if you could swap coils.  I doubt very much you will find anything new that "looks" like original   Bearings are not hard to replace.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

I have a good used Electric PTO...looks like this...     

sent 001.JPG

sent 005.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Skipper

Can I ask what the price would be on that. I might be interested if Goofey ain't.

• Like 1

ztnoo

@Skipper,

I believe Dave prefers to conduct price discussions privately.

I suggest using PM here at Red Square or emailing him : daveoman@windstrream.net

• Thanks 1

Redhorse

I have an electric PTO from a Wheel Horse 268H. Not sure if you could use something like that. Let me know if that would work.

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

@Skipper,

I believe Dave prefers to conduct price discussions privately.

I suggest using PM here at Red Square or emailing him : daveoman@windstrream.net

I've been admonished in the past for posting prices in the RS open forum. 

Accordingly, I ask members to send me an email for item(s) pricing details.. without intent to deceive or offend.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut
31 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

I've been admonished in the past for posting prices in the RS open forum. 

Accordingly, I ask members to send me an email for item(s) pricing details.. without intent to deceive or offend.

Dave, you have come to the rescue of lots of us over the years by providing a quick response and an offer to supply needed parts.    :text-thankyouyellow:

You also have a lot of great information to share.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

daveoman1966
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Dave, you have come to the rescue of lots of us over the years by providing a quick response and an offer to supply needed parts.    :text-thankyouyellow:

You also have a lot of great information to share.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanx, I try....but you know as well as I do...  its an addiction.  lol. 

• Haha 2

tinker7

HI,

I RAN A CROSS THIS FORUM WHILE LOOKING FOR AN ELECTRIC CLUTCH FOR MY 1972 12HP RAIDER 8 SPEED.

I AM LOOKING FOR A REPLACRMENT.  MY OLD ONE SEEMS TO HAVE AN OPEN IN THE COIL. ANY HELP WOULD

SURE BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS RON

pfrederi
2 hours ago, tinker7 said:

HI,

I RAN A CROSS THIS FORUM WHILE LOOKING FOR AN ELECTRIC CLUTCH FOR MY 1972 12HP RAIDER 8 SPEED.

I AM LOOKING FOR A REPLACRMENT.  MY OLD ONE SEEMS TO HAVE AN OPEN IN THE COIL. ANY HELP WOULD

SURE BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS RON

Check with A to Z tractors in our vendors section or with daveoman1966 (posted above)

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/

Welcome to red square

tinker7

Thanks PFREDERI, A-Z was able to help. I really appreciate the tip.

• Like 1