Docwheelhorse

And then there was one less...

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

Posting this because alot of us know each other and just to show what can happen.

Dont know if it was electrical or what started it... gas tank under hood finished it. 

I had loaned a very very very clean original C120 from the era I like best... 1973--1976. Solid mount engine, tank under hood with trunk in back.

Lent it to older friend who called and said he had gotten off of it to get a drink and left it running just inside doorway of his barn. 

He came out, said there was nothing he could do and called 911... he had to push it out of barn to prevent it from going up too.

So... shes gone, Ill take what I can and thats that. Of all the Wheel Horses I have it really irks me that I lost one of my favorites.

Sure it could be rebuilt but I dont have the time, energy or desire... Im just flat pissed over it. This happened around 3 today

Tony

20190518_182252.jpg

20190518_182351.jpg

20190518_182339.jpg

20190518_182325.jpg

20190518_182319.jpg

20190518_182314.jpg

20190518_182258.jpg

20190518_171652.jpg

20190518_171645.jpg

20190518_174034.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

midpack

Ouch

JAinVA

Sorry for your loss.That is exactly how I lost my C120.Many years later I was able to salvage the engine and little else.

Herder

S#!t.  like losing a close friend.   

AMC RULES

Thanks be to Jesus...

you only lost that tractor.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

JCM

I have the same tractor and for some reason being used to the 300  400   500 series I for some reason shut the fuel off when I am done with it but do not do that on the others , why I do not know, very sorry for your loss.

Super-C 4 me

Sorry to hear that Tony

that’s some unfortunate circumstances 

Retired Wrencher

Tony is that the one you just pick up? What a shame. I hope you change your mind. It can be fixed.

Pollack Pete

Terrible to lose ANY Horse,not to mention a favorite.Good reason to have a fire extinguisher right inside the door of  all the buildings.I learned that lesson years ago from my late father.Bad accident in front of his home.The car burst into flames.He ran out with the extinguisher,pulled the woman out of the car and put the fire out before the fire dept. got there. He saved that womans life.

• Like 1

bellevillerod

Wow just had that happen the other day to a Amazon truck across the street from our house. you could see the driver on his cell phone then he started going back in forth into the burning truck to get the boxes out. Thing is exploding air bags going off and he is inside trying to get the packages out. Crazy... but good thing your friend is Ok an his house is still standing. Tractors can be replaced people not so much. I stopped loaning my things a few years ago. I hated having to do it but, even my good friends an family would bring things back broken and never say a word. Or just hit me with the ole "well it was 20 years old stuff don't last forever" So now it's either I'm working on it, I'm using it or I got rid of it when ask to borrow something. Sorry about he tractor though, I love the C series Horses.

• Sad 1

Tractorhead

Ouch, that is not fair.

yes it‘s maybe just a Tractor, but hey - aren‘t these our beloved Toy‘s.

In my case it is so.

To give you a idea, my 200 was also in a burning Barn before i got it.

I know it will be a lot of Work, but give youself a bit Time, to get over the loss.

After that, you maybe will newly see the Potential and recover her.

ericj

the motor and trans should be okay, so it can be made better, stronger and faster, did I hear that someplace before ? :hide: good luck  either rebuild it  or use the parts to save another one's life

eric j

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I have 78-ish C-101 parts, if you make a list of what you could use, I’ll go shopping in my pile and whatever I have is yours.  I’ll bring it to the Big Show, if you can meet me there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Ok guys, I did some looking and realize now that CT isn’t exactly next door to the show... but imagine a bunch of us slinging tools and parts in the middle of the fairgrounds to do a rebuild on site!  I know it’ll never be the same, but it would save just one more.

My parts are the tank under the seat style, so I’m not positive what I have that’ll work... but as mentioned, what I do have that is usable is fair game!

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

If I were you, I would go ahead and pull that battery out and take it to the carwash and wash the heck out of it. That should get rid of any battery acid so things don't start rusting right away. I know you are pissed right now, when you cool down, you may want to fix it. Those were good tractors!! 

Randy

• Like 2

oldredrider
12 hours ago, pullstart said:

Ok guys, I did some looking and realize now that CT isn’t exactly next door to the show... but imagine a bunch of us slinging tools and parts in the middle of the fairgrounds to do a rebuild on site!  I know it’ll never be the same, but it would save just one more.

I think Kevin has a great idea there Tony, if you're going to the show. I know I would pitch in to help you get it back up and running. 

There's a brotherhood here that hates to see a Horse die. Reviving Horses is what we do. Bring it!!!

• Excellent 1

Tuneup

Sounds like an inherent weakness in the upper plastic tank models - with that seam traveling vertically across the valve and seal and in a warm area. I never got mine to seal right. Punched a hole in the top and let the pump siphon. Sealed the base with a plastic welder. That said, it worked for 40 years so how much of a weakness is that? Yeah, loaners....been there. Sorry, for your loss but someone will take it off your hands for a rebuild!

Docwheelhorse

Hello All---I am going to the show, I could bring it along... don't know if its a great idea or not. I don't want to step on any WHCC toes in process and I don't know if everybody would be "into it" ... the wiring is toast... cables, dash tower on and on... I guess I need more feedback and it will not be a quick easy thing. Plus like I said it is the WHCC show and they usually run a tech session themselves and I don't want to step on any toes.

Tony

DBlackston

Wow that is an eye opener.

I have driven diesel vehicles and worked on diesel tractors my whole life (I'm pretty young so thats not too long)

I have gotten used to being covered in diesel and getting it everywhere without a care in the world. 

My only experience with gas has been pouring it in well maintained equipment like fourwheelers and rototillers.

Since I have my own place and have started my little wheelhorse hobby I have noticed I have the same habits with the new gas powered equipment I have been aquiring.

Just yesterday I had a puddle of gas under my 854, all over me, and all over the tractor trying to diagnose a running issue and fiddling with the pump and carb. Then I pulled the spark plug and checked the fire when it quit against the head of the gassy motor!

Last week I had 2 gallon or so of gas leak out of a gravity fed carb on a different mower in the shed. Walked in flipped on the lights and plugged in a fan. 

It seems seeing this I may need to be more careful with my new fuel of choice before I end up like this poor C-120!

• Like 1

bds1984

I'm sorry to see that Tony.  But like many here, I feel that this isn't a lost cause and she can be made whole again in probably very little time with the help of us here.  

Racinbob

WOW! Talk about overheating! So sorry this happened to you Doc but it could have been worse. I like Randy's idea of the car wash or get the pressure washer out. Get the crud off of it and do the parts list thing. I'm sure you can come back from the big show with everything you need. Think of the great story you'll have when you get her running again. :)

• Like 1