oldredrider

What do you mow with and why?

Shynon

I mow a small yard with a 753. Takes about 30 min. But the looks i get are priceless. 

20180421_125518.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, chip61 said:

small diesel would be nice

Just run up to see @PeacemakerJack and his family.

They have a bunch of tractors and at least a couple are diesels.... 

They wouldn't even miss one !!

:ychain:

• Haha 4

PeacemakerJack

Easy now @ebinmaine those are like junior family members...:ROTF:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Easy now @ebinmaine those are like junior family members...:ROTF:

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

• Haha 1

chip61

Maybe one of them would like to visit Virginia for the summer??? :lol:

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Mostly with my 414-8 . 

0293A16C-BF41-423F-B7CD-355CA547841C.jpeg

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

@chip61 although it isn’t set up for mowing, @Achto’s “Radpferd” is the epitome of a small diesel in a :wh:...

• Like 2

76c12091520h

Used my 76 C120 with a newer 42" recycler for 22 yrs, switched the deck over to my newly acquired 520H this spring; can't beat the cut quality if the deck is leveled right and you mow at the proper height. 

• Like 1

Razorback
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Great thread @oldredrider! It’s fun to see what everybody uses and why...

C5840A96-00BD-4010-9BE6-1680BFF493AA.jpeg.7bd308af2c77abfee9311ac382f512a2.jpeg

Our primary mower is Kelli’s RED (523Dxi) with a 60” deck.  The power steering, large mowing swath, foot controlled hydro, and it sips fuel for being a 1400# machine make it one of our regulars. Plus momma likes to use her tractor while getting some sun!  

E63EA93D-FAAF-4C5C-B35E-A867881137A1.jpeg.ddac29112f6ae36d9f417a54dc806c41.jpeg

I often use my 1772 Cub Diesel.  I have a 50” deck for it.  It’s a fun tractor, gives a sharp cut, uses very little fuel, and is a pretty fast machine.

8BF6B2DB-A196-4540-8879-A80924612214.jpeg.e4567aa4c4872399d4b2e60cee3f4dbe.jpeg

Caleb’s JackRabbit (418-C) is quickly becoming a regular use mower as well.  It has a 42” SD but also has the full bagger system which is excellent for those many moments when the lawn is unruly.  It has fast gearing and convenient tight steering ratio...

There is several other machines that we occasionally use because we have them but the above are our primary mowers...

LOVE the diesel Cub!!! B:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Welllllll......that’s a tough question!  I mow most of my yard with a low hour 96 312-8.  I use my favorite 68 lawn ranger for tight spots.  I mow about 3 1/2 - 4 acres weekly at my Dad’s with Coyote - my ugly c125, but man is she a good mower!  Why?  You’re in the wrong place if you have to ask why!  Wait, and @oldredrider has had his hands on all three😂!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

EricF

Mowing at my place is pretty much a trip back to the end of the 20th century, when they knew how to make equipment that lasts... :thumbs2:

5mnBoGN.jpg

My 520H with 48" SD deck does most of the work. It's more than enough for mowing my small lot, but it also makes short work of New England snowstorms in the winter with a 2-stage snowthrower so it does double duty. And it takes no time at all to swap the mower deck and blade for grading along the road shoulder in the front, and some other bits of ground work that keeps needing to get done. We expect to move to a bigger property in the next 5-10 years, so the 520 will be just dandy for wherever we wind up. I'd always wanted a Wheel Horse since I first got a property big enough to need at least a lawn tractor, but it took trading up through a couple of other-brand Craigslist finds over the span of ten years to get there. The 520's likely to be my "forever" machine.

The trimming gets done with a 1990's Lawn-Boy M series mower that I bought new. The Lawn-Boy is pretty much the hand mower equivalent of a 520H -- plenty of power to chew through overgrown stuff, and all the bells 'n whistles with three-speed power drive, oil injection for the 2-cycle engine, and the blade clutch so you can shut off the blade and leave the engine running like a tractor PTO. The Lawn-Boy actually got a 7-8 year rest while we lived at a couple of places with so much gritty sand in the lawns that I really didn't want to use it much to keep from sandblasting the cast deck, and the ignition module had gotten unreliable. (An orphaned Snapper Hi-Vac from the 80's, complete with the miniature disc drive, was the stand-in.) But a couple of years ago I put a new module in it, greased the power drive up, and it went right back to work.

Both machines sometimes turn heads when somebody realizes they've never seen anything like that at the box store... B)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413

Well that's a good question. If I'm at work mow with a kubota zd326 which is a diesel and has a 60"deck. Some times I have to switch to our Toro grand stand with a 48" deck. If the boss puts me on mowing athletics I just a Toro 5910 with 15 feet of decks. But when I come home it's the trust 416H with a 48" deck that I use. I used to use my bronco 14 with the 48" deck but I'm having trans problems with that. If I want to go old school I will pull out my 701 or 753 to mow close to the house.

• Like 3

ericj

last couple of years it's been a 516-H with a back up of some 8 speed. this year so far the 516 has become the back up mower and a 520-H that I had been planning on selling has been my primary mower, but ir runs so well I just might keep it. I had a 416-H that I mowed with for years, but I sold it several years ago. Kinda regret that and have been half looking for another one ever since. I'll probably make a 416-8 my back before the end of the mowing season. I just have to decide which one to use LOL.

eric j

• Like 1

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

with 15 feet of decks

Love seeing those huge gang mowers.

ericj

When I worked for the school district, they had what I believe was 2, Toro 580D's with 3 decks, a center deck and wings on both side. Powered by a 99 HP cummins diesel. It was 15 or 16 foot swath cut. Those 2 guys mowed 5 days a week darn near 40 hrs a week all summer long, even in the rain, unless it was absolutely pouring down rain.

eric j  

• Like 1

squonk
11 hours ago, Shynon said:

I mow a small yard with a 753. Takes about 30 min. But the looks i get are priceless. 

20180421_125518.jpg

I'm sure you do get strange looks seeing there is no deck doing the cutting! :ychain:

• Haha 6

bds1984

I use my 315-8 for mowing.  It would be nice if it were a hydro, but the few extra minutes of seat time never bothered me.

20180705_130950.jpg

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

My 1277 was my mowing machine, up until the engine threw a rod a couple summers ago, since then I’m down to just my trusty Craftsman push mower, which isn’t bad just mowing my rv space, but it really sucks mowing the 5 lots where my shop is. Have been looking for a deck for the C125 but haven’t found one yet. Just bought a 753 yesterday with a deck, once I get it up and running good it will probably see some mowing duty at the shop 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHGuy413
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Love seeing those huge gang mowers.

These are rotary decks not gang mowers. We do have a 14 foot gang mower for when the fields needs to be cut down really low 

• Like 1

Sparky

A typical mowing fills the triple bagger setup one and a half times. Just finished mowing and this is the second and final load of clippings.

A Wheel Horse mows great and all, but won’t out-bag the grass (or leaves in the fall) like this sucker :handgestures-thumbupright:

EE785E6B-D618-4D9B-8A34-95F3BEDD8AC5.jpeg

2D0DA5B8-80AC-4215-8FCF-4722877AAFAC.jpeg

6E585171-787C-4EB5-A262-E7225425C1E6.jpeg

• Like 3

adsm08

I had been using the D110 while the 855 was down for repairs. Now that the 855 is fixed and Juan is gone I am back to using the Wheelie Horse, because it is all I have.

• Like 1

adsm08
7 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I use my 315-8 for mowing.  It would be nice if it were a hydro, but the few extra minutes of seat time never bothered me.

20180705_130950.jpg

I will never complain about extra seat time. I am actually hoping some old lady who has no interest in mowing her own grass buys the empty house next to me so I can keep mowing that lawn too.

• Like 2

ZXT

For the last 2 years I've been using a Cub Cadet 1650. The K341 on it shakes horribly, and when my grandfather put the engine together on it, I think he put a K301 crank in it, which has different balance weights. Last year when I was mowing with it, it died, and had to hot wire it to get it to start to get back to its parking spot. Not sure what the deal is with it.. It'll run fine for a while without having a hot wire ran to the ignition, but then it'll die and I have to clip on the hot wire, and even then it doesn't run right. Need to pull it apart anyways to fix the vibration and the broken ACR. It cranks extremely hard.

When that happened with the Cub last September, it was about 40 minutes until dark and I needed to get finished before it rained. Went and got my dad's C141 that hadn't been run in around 8 years due to a stripped float bowl bolt, slapped a new one on that I found on the internet by accident (the reason it was parked was because we didn't know new carbs were available), had it running almost instantly and got the yard finished before dark.

Doing that sparked an interest in a GT-14 that I was given my by grandfather. Started piddling with it, joined here and the rest is history.. I'm a WH guy because a Cub let me down.

Since then, I bought a C120 (and corrupted a friend who then got a C160) and have mowed with it twice this season, then the starter died. Not a fan of Tecumseh's anyways so I'm slowly working on a K321 to put on it. Bought a Sears GT 19.9 the other day with a 52 cubic inch Onan on it to mow with at our river property, which is about 9 acres.  

• Like 2

Achto
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

@Achto’s “Radpferd” is the epitome of a small diesel in a :wh:...

I've only worked this tractor a little bit. I've rolled the lawn, did some mold board plowing, and messed around pulling a stone boat. With a little over 3hrs on the clock, the fuel level has barley moved. Best estimate would be around a quart of fuel used so far. I guess my :wh: just hasn't acquired a taste for diesel yet.:D

If I happen to find another one of these Hatz engines at a price that I can afford, I will most definitely be building a worker with it. 

What do I mow my lawn with?? I used to use a 21" push mower. Now I mow with a Swisher Ride King that came from the auction at Garden Tractor Daze last year.  @WHX22 was nice enough to bid on it for me while I was checking on some ribs that I had on the smoker. Winning bid was $55, and it only took us about 20 min to get it running & mowing. These work good if you have a fairly flat lawn and they are a blast to drive.  You do get a few looks :blink::huh::D while your zipping around on it too.

IMG_20180714_151152446.jpg.fb075ba523ca2460329289d18888146d.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

rjg854

I mow with a Bad Boy zero-turn :hide: the reasons should be obvious, manuverability and speed.  With all the trees and the wife's flowerbeds, the buildings and other obstacles it just makes sense.   I've had zero-turns before I ever got the Wheel Horse bug, I  suppose that's another reason I mow with one.  I do use one of the Commandos w/ a 36" deck to do the sides of my long driveway mostly because it  doesn't kick up the dust and it's a rear discharge which makes it easier to hug the fence posts. 

• Like 2