Shorts34

Sk486 wheel horse

Shorts34

Ok so my dad has a sk486 sitting behind his garage with a snow thrower attachment I believe? He told me I could sell it but after a little research (still not sure what it’s worth) it seems like this would fetch a lot more with a little restoration. Is this hard to accomplish inexpensively? Is it worth the effort or would parting it out be better? It’s sat for 5 years or so and does not run but ran when it was parked so I’m pretty confident I can get it going again just not sure if it’s worth the headache. Thanks!

8778C696-4FEB-4DCB-8C72-D5461D537574.jpeg

24E9BCA4-0BB4-4AD2-AFCE-3B47B4200C34.jpeg

Edited by Shorts34
Add photos

The Tuul Crib

If it sat outsidefor the last 5years l would be a little concerned about the transmission being froze up due to water getting in. Hard to tell unless you really get into it and how much of your time is spent! 

Keep us posted as to what you do!

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

pfrederi

If it still has the Kohler K341 the engine is sought after .  if you can get the engine running even better.  You will never get your time effort (unless your labor rate is less than $1/hour :P) and money on parts back if you try to restore the tractor and then sell it.

• Like 3

Shorts34

Ok thanks for the advice! I’m gonna play around with it and see if I can get it running and take it from there!

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS: If you're looking to sell, your best bet is to change all of the fluids, get it running & driving and put it up for sale. Restorations are for the love of the tractor, not for making money on a sale. You'll never get your time or $ back.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5

wallfish

:WRS:

get her up and going and you may just want to keep it and use it.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib
8 hours ago, wallfish said:

:WRS:

get her up and going and you may just want to keep it and use it.

:text-yeahthat:

ztnoo

:text-yeahthat:

Racinbob

As already mentioned, there's no payback in a restoration. Please don't let it just sit there though. There's a big :wh: show coming up in June just about 100 miles from you. I can guarantee somebody would make the drive to pick it up from you. :)

I know I would if I was going to the show this year. :(

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

ztnoo
24 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I know I would if I was going to the show this year.

@Racinbob

Maybe one of the other midwest guys going to the Big Show would probably haul it back for you.

There's a lot of movement in both directions about stuff being taken to the Big Show, and stuff being hauled back this way from the show.

I know of some guys who are going and I could let you know by PM here who I am aware of.

Someone would probably be willing to do that for you if you can make the connection and arrangements.

Just a idea.......

Maybe start your own Big Show hauling thread or look at the Big Show sale offerings to see who is from where, and maybe come up with a hauler that way.

Just thinking out loud.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm not too far from you to make a trip!! :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

Racinbob
11 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

@Racinbob

Maybe one of the other midwest guys going to the Big Show would probably haul it back for you.

There's a lot of movement in both directions about stuff being taken to the Big Show, and stuff being hauled back this way from the show.

I know of some guys who are going and I could let you know by PM here who I am aware of.

Someone would probably be willing to do that for you if you can make the connection and arrangements.

Just a idea.......

Maybe start your own Big Show hauling thread or look at the Big Show sale offerings to see who is from where, and maybe come up with a hauler that way.

Just thinking out loud.

Regards,

Steve

That's a great idea and I appreciate you mentioning it Steve. That's a desirable model and I'm sure there would be a lot of interest if Shorts decides to sell it. I still have two to finish up (854 from last years show and the 500 Special) that I hope to get to this summer. I think I'll let the guys in his area or who will be at the show duke it out. Mike's got his ears perked up already. :)

I also like the idea of a thread for hauling assistance. I hauled a friends 701 up from Florida a few years ago. The guy who bought it wasn't going to the show but another member who was relayed it back to him. What a great group we have here. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ztnoo
33 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

What a great group we have here. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

:bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue:

1681792640_blue-thumbs-up-mdat25.png.82c12dbe7a36ed0653887cc051cd582c.png