Mudrig150

I'm torn.

Mudrig150

So I'm in a kinda bad spot at the moment, and I'm torn on what kind of motor to put in my project.
After careful consideration I'm going to put either my brother's diesel or my K321 in my 140 (which I need to go get)

I'm torn between three options:
Kohler Magnum
Kohler command
KT17 series 2

Pros and cons of both:
Magnum-Good power, direct bolt in, I have 2 parts engines; Impossible to find in one piece, some parts are wicked expensive, lubrication issues without constant maintenance, needs wiring modified
Command- Easy to find, parts plentiful, somewhat cheap, direct bolt in*, wiring needs modified, needs remote oil filter, head gasket, valve cover, and valve issues
KT17 series 2- Somewhat Easy to find, parts are somewhat plentiful, direct bolt in; hard to find not wore out, same issues as magnum
*Not sure if it's actually a direct bolt in

Which would be my best option as a teen on a budget?

formariz

If finances are an issue and you have a free engine, choice seems clear. I am not sure if you have to purchase the Magnum, but that aside would be my choice since you have access to spare parts and little has to be changed for it to work.Wiring changes are almost always needed. Sometimes we want a certain engine or part for our projects but in reality whether due to finances or practicality we have to change our expectations . Perhaps just go with the least expensive way now and in the future upgrade to what you want when conditions permit it.

• Like 3

Stormin

Good advice there. :thumbs:

Mudrig150

You know what? I think I'll put the K321 in the project and diesel in the 140.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

The kohler command in my opinion is 

really one thats fits into the throw it away and just go by another one instead of fix it 

syndrome. The k series is hard to beat!

• Like 1

Mudrig150
43 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

The kohler command in my opinion is 

really one thats fits into the throw it away and just go by another one instead of fix it 

syndrome. The k series is hard to beat!

Not really with the older ones. I think even kohler still makes parts for them.

The Tuul Crib

Had one on a JD that was nearly nineteen 

years old. Wanted to get parts to rebuild 

and was told by the dealer where l got that it was discontinued and was mainly junk

Thats when l found my first horse. 

clueless

So what is the project and what is the 140?

Mudrig150
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Had one on a JD that was nearly nineteen 

years old. Wanted to get parts to rebuild 

and was told by the dealer where l got that it was discontinued and was mainly junk

Thats when l found my first horse. 

There's the issue. You went to a deere dealer, right? Deere is the one who does the classic throw away and buy new. Kohler actually does sell parts.

Just now, clueless said:

So what is the project and what is the 140?

A John deere and another John deere.

Wanted to get a horse yesterday but a b-80 with busted steering column and dash with no oil in the motor sold for 275$.

clueless
6 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

There's the issue. You went to a deere dealer, right? Deere is the one who does the classic throw away and buy new. Kohler actually does sell parts.

A John deere and another John deere.

Wanted to get a horse yesterday but a b-80 with busted steering column and dash with no oil in the motor sold for 275$.

Now we're all torn :lol:.

• Haha 2

Mudrig150

Believe me, I'm not one of those guys who constantly rips on a brand endlessly for 0 reason. I'm actually trying to have some diversity. Our GT collection consists of: 6 deeres, 1 cub cadet, and one little tractor. Not exactly the definition of "diverse".

redone

After reading your topics, I am in need of poistons for kt17 over size .20 or .30.with rings

Mudrig150
15 hours ago, redone said:

After reading your topics, I am in need of poistons for kt17 over size .20 or .30.with rings

I don't have any kt17 pistons. Are you asking where to get them? https://isavetractors.com/internal-engine-parts/pistons/kohler/ is a good place.