Tractor boy

Basic question but...........

Tractor boy

So as most of know, I recently bought a new to me 1056. Well I noticed that it had headlights at point as the mounting tabs were on the hood but no lights. So I thought that they were long gone. I finally got around to cleaning the tool box on it out tonight and found a complete head light with one wire coning out of it. So i hooked it up to the bench battery to see if it would light up but no cigar. So i took the lens off and confirmed that the bulb was good. It was and has i had nothing better to do, i took it apart and cleaned everything and installed a new wire and cleaned the bulb contact. Assembled everything back together (with a ground wire soldered in place). But still no cigar. I am pulling 6 volts from the socket with the meter’s prong on the terminal of my bench battery. (Battery is good as is at 13 volts.) My only other idea is that these bulbs go bad when you tough them. Bulb looks like a older gm bulb but no markings on the case. I know it isn’t worth salvaging but i kinda like that it is probably original to the tractor. Sorry for the book guys. Tractor boy. (Pictures coming in the morning. Light is circle shaped with one screw holding the lense to it on the bottom)

adsm08

The wire may be corroded inside. That will cause high impedance and low voltage to the bulb. Have you tested the resistance? It should read only a tenth or two of an ohm above whatever reading you get just touching the leads together on the ohm meter setting..

Here is a good discussion about repairing those light sockets, including some useful part numbers:  

That information should get you what you need to replace the wire altogether.

Also, how clean is your lens? I had to clean, and re-clean, the housing and the retaining tabs a few times before I got it good enough to carry power for the ground side.

Edited by adsm08

adsm08
2 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Derp post.

Edited by adsm08

Tractor boy

Hmm. All wires are good. I will check into that part number though. 

8 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Also, how clean is your lens? I had to clean, and re-clean, the housing and the retaining tabs a few times before I got it good enough to carry power for the ground side.

So the hot wire goes to the socket and the ground wire just grounds itself off in the case? All testing was done while the lense was off so i don't think that will matter. Any idea where to buy a new light? I only have one original and want to have two lights. (one on either side of the hood.) thanks for putting up with the questions @adsm08  PS i will also check on the resistance. 

adsm08

Mine is an 855, so its a year older, than yours, but I think they are mostly the same otherwise.

Not having a ground should not effect the voltage reading at the socket. If it does anything it will raise the number.

Here is what my setup looks like. 

OsN3HKP.jpg

The green and yellow wires I custom built, they are the hot side. The bulbs ground to the case of the lens, through the metal retaining tabs, down the black wire at the top, and to the chassis.

I have no idea where you might find a new lamp assembly, I was lucky enough to have both there when I bought it.