67 WH 877

Decals and clear coat

67 WH 877

Question....Decal placement, before or after clear coat? Which is the best for longevity?

JAinVA

I can't answer your question but why not both?

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

I have clear coated vinyl decals on motorcycle tanks. Never had a problem with it. But on the side of caution, I’ve always asked my decal guy for a few scraps of vinyl and did a test run sample with the base and clear coats I was using at the time, just to make sure that there was no adverse chemical reaction between the vinyl and paint. Best of luck. 

Mark. 

• Like 5

adsm08
45 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

I have clear coated vinyl decals on motorcycle tanks. Never had a problem with it. But on the side of caution, I’ve always asked my decal guy for a few scraps of vinyl and did a test run sample with the base and clear coats I was using at the time, just to make sure that there was no adverse chemical reaction between the vinyl and paint. Best of luck. 

Mark. 

Do this.

Ideally you would have no such reactions and you would clear over the decals which will help protect from physical and sun damage. If will also keep the glue sealed away from the air, and increase its life. The glue drying out is 99% of the reason an undamaged decal will start to peel.

• Like 2

67 WH 877
3 hours ago, JAinVA said:

I can't answer your question but why not both?

Starting with a clean slate...stripped down to metal, body work done and repainted. :handgestures-thumbupright:

67 WH 877
3 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Mark. 

All my decals are from Redoyourhorse. I believe it says you can...I'll check again. Thanks 

67 WH 877
2 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Do this.

Ideally you would have no such reactions and you would clear over the decals which will help protect from physical and sun damage. If will also keep the glue sealed away from the air, and increase its life. The glue drying out is 99% of the reason an undamaged decal will start to peel.

Sounds logical to me...Thanks

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

...or, horse around with you.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut

I know that NASCAR teams would clear coat over decals to achieve lower wind resistance, what is your goal in doing so?

A lot will depend on the finish you are applying and how long it has been on the tractor. If you are using an air dry enamel it needs to cure for several days (even longer in humid conditions) prior to applying any decal. The enamel will continue to off-gas and if the decal is applied too soon the paint under it will loose its adhesion. 

• Like 2

67 WH 877
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's our own @Vinylguy Terry.

Give him a call and get the answer right from the horses mouth.

See what I did there?

A horse joke.

On a horse forum.

Oh man I'm hilarious.....

Seriously though..... Call the man himself. Awesome guy. He'll be more than happy to help you.

LoL....will do! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

67 WH 877
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I know that NASCAR teams would clear coat over decals to achieve lower wind resistance, what is your goal in doing so?

A lot will depend on the finish you are applying and how long it has been on the tractor. If you are using an air dry enamel it needs to cure for several days (even longer in humid conditions) prior to applying any decal. The enamel will continue to off-gas and if the decal is applied too soon the paint under it will loose its adhesion. 

Paint has cured a couple weeks now, thanks for the tip though.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

Dan @Achto whats your take on this? I would think decals under cc would give it a 3-d effect??

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Different look, mkes them appear to be.embossed into the metal.

• Like 2

Vinylguy

I have had questions over the years on clear coat subject.

Things to consider?

1. Is this going to be a worker? If so then I recommend not clear coating over decals

The graphics have a clear laminate over the solvent uv resistant inks and will not fade for a long time.

Most Horse-A-Holics never store their restored horses out in the weather so longevity is not a consideration.

If you should scratch a decal o a tree or shrub you can easily remove and replace that decal.

2. Once clear coated you can no longer easily remove and replace decals, your looking at a repaint.

3. The decals are 2 layers thick as compared to non laminated decals that you see on motorcycle tanks.

4. If the tractor is not going to be a worker and is stored inside the decals will not fade for years and years.

If  it is a look you are going for then clear coating is not a problem in most cases. Again make sure your base coat has 

completely cured before applying decals and clear coating.

• Excellent 6

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX22 said:

Dan @Achto whats your take on this? I would think decals under cc would give it a 3-d effect??

I don't think that clearing over a decal changes the effect much. When ever I have cleared over decals the intent was to get rid of the texture of the decal. Basically I did not want to be able to feel the edges of the decal. Sometimes this involved letting the first round of clear coats to dry, wet sand every thing smooth with 1000grit, then apply more clear coat to get a glass finish.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

67 WH 877
5 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

I have had questions over the years on clear coat subject.

Things to consider?

1. Is this going to be a worker? If so then I recommend not clear coating over decals

The graphics have a clear laminate over the solvent uv resistant inks and will not fade for a long time.

Most Horse-A-Holics never store their restored horses out in the weather so longevity is not a consideration.

If you should scratch a decal o a tree or shrub you can easily remove and replace that decal.

2. Once clear coated you can no longer easily remove and replace decals, your looking at a repaint.

3. The decals are 2 layers thick as compared to non laminated decals that you see on motorcycle tanks.

4. If the tractor is not going to be a worker and is stored inside the decals will not fade for years and years.

If  it is a look you are going for then clear coating is not a problem in most cases. Again make sure your base coat has 

completely cured before applying decals and clear coating.

Thanks for the advice Vinylguy, she will be a worker. I received my 2nd round of decals a few days ago...Awesome work! Thanks Again:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1