kdeatrick

GT1148 - Eaton 1100 - Touchy shifting

kdeatrick

Hi guys,

So I bought a GT 1148 and added it to my Work Horse stable. The rest are all 8 Speeds and this of course is an automatic. 

That leads me to my question of why this thing shifts so hard and is so touchy. It does center out in neutral fine and the speed is fine. The shifting as very hard and extremely touchy. 

Add that to the fact I'm so used to the 8 speed, it's a bit dangerous, but I haven't run over anything yet.... 

The parking brake also actually seems to set ok as well. It looks like the brake band is very loose when it's not on, but use of the brake does kick the auto out of gear as it should I believe.

The Previous owner had did change the fluid and filter as well just before I bought it. 

I see in the manual 810243R2, there is a motion control friction adjustment. This sounds like what I need to work on. 

Has anyone experienced the issue I'm having and it that the proper course of action?

Ken

WVHillbilly520H

Pictured is the "cam" motion friction control...the nut with large flat/friction washer to the right of center is 9/16" is the adjustment...NO grease or wet lubes as these attract dirt/dust ect you may need to disassemble the whole thing thoroughly cleaning and straightening and reassemble with a touch of "graphite powder" and adjust to suit you, if it's to loose you will have to hold the motion control lever while you drive to maintain speed, too tight pretty much what you are describing to a point, hopefully this helps.

IMAG2022.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Welcome to the Eaton world Ken.    Good to hear from you....it's been awhile.      Take Jeff's advice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kdeatrick

Thanks guys, I'm getting a brake band as well, it's about shot I think and I'll adjust it per spec as well. 

But, not until I'm back from my Birthday trip. Off to Alaska! My 50th. State on my 50th. Birthday!

• Excellent 1

kdeatrick

So I've been using this tractor for a while this summer at my rental. I adjusted as you mentioned and it did get usable, but still very jerky. I brought it home and cleaned it very well and sprayed some graphite spray as it's was all I could find. I had it shifting very well.

Now tonight I jacked it up and removed the wheels and the brake. While off I'll clean it all up in the rear end and likely paint it up to mitigate rusting. 

Knowing me, This will become a full restoration.

One question, When I turn the axle I can hear a click every now and then inside. Is that likely something floating around inside the transaxle? Should I be terribly concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Edited by kdeatrick
removed question

rmaynard

My first experience with an Eaton 1100 was not good. It was hard to control and each time I would stop and start it would jerk me around. So I solved it all by adding one of Matt's foot pedals. 

pfrederi

Etons click when you push them it is normal

• Like 1

squonk

Check that cam wear surface. They usually get quite worn