71_Bronco

Picked Up A Commando 8

JAinVA

Nice score but you may want to carefully reread your post and edit it.Just saying.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

You may want to check your spelling on line 3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Loooove those Kohler 8s.

Nice score!!

Keep us posted on your progress.

RetroMower

Maybe it eats a lot of fiber? Works for me.;)

• Haha 5

71_Bronco

Oh my gosh, I apologize for that. Just fixed it.

The deck shell is a little rough, but still usable in my opinion. Not making a show tractor (yet). The spindles move freely too and seem very nice, which is a big plus. Nothing is seized up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JAinVA

Nothing to apologize for.As they say "shift happens".The photos you posted of the deck seems to indicate its not in that bad of condition.Again nice score.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Haha 2

WHGuy413

My wife has a commando 8. Im more of a round hood guy  but I love that machine. Nice score.

• Like 1

WHX??

The 8's are one of the most underated tractors out there.. very versatile and just a nice thing to have. Nice score:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX22

71_Bronco

I bought this to use around the yard, as I just don't have time to finish my Bronco 14 (yet). I will have to do some minor tweaking as I go, but nothing that will prevent me from using this. I have about 1/2 - 3/4 acre of flat lawn to mow, so I shouldn't be working this too hard.

Some things I noticed off the bat:

- Someone added a head-light conversion to the front, and a red light on the seat pan. They work, but I want to double check the wiring, and may add a solenoid to be on the safe side.

- I have 2 hitches, a stationary one that wraps under the trans case, and the swivel one connected to the lift handle via cable. Not sure if this is normal.

- Need to look at the clutch pedal set-up, looks a little off to me.

All in all, it will be a fun tractor, to use and to tinker with. I think I did well for the price. I am mechanically inclined, and have the tools to wrench on this myself.

Looking forward to spending a little QT with her :)

• Like 2

WHX??

The swivel one is appropriately called a slot hitch and the other one is called a draw bar. What you have is preferred and totally acceptable. The slot hitch is intended for ground engaging implements such as a plow, disc, harrow or cultivator. Draw bar pretty much for tubs. 

As far as the lights they are commonly PO added and might be fine as is. I guess I don't understand what you mean by adding a solenoid? A single single FUSED switch should work fine.

Give us a few pics on the clutch setup and we'll see if we can help with that. I can see you becoming a supporter what with all the :text-coolphotos: you going to need to post! :)

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

Someone added a head-light conversion to the front, and a red light on the seat pan.

Those lights would have been standard on a 1968 Charger, wonder if they were a dealer option? Adding a fuse would be a good idea.

71_Bronco

953, thank you for the diagram. I do have the lighter and the rocker switch on my dash. I wonder if someone transplanted it somewhere along the line, or if it was added as a dealer option as you said.

I'll get some more pictures tonight, including the messed up clutch pedal.

On a completely side tangent, how hard would it be to swap in a larger motor onto this small frame? Something like a K-321 14hp?

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

messed up clutch pedal.

On a completely side tangent, how hard would it be to swap in a larger motor onto this small frame? Something like a K-321 14hp?

if what you're looking at on the clutch pedal is the fact that it leans backwards a bit. You can adjust that some with the rod that connects to it. It's important to make sure that your BRAKE ADJUSTMENT is done FIRST, then adjusting that rod.

I have a couple of different 8 horse tractors and I had a 12 and now a 16. If you don't specifically need the extra power for something like a rototiller or tall grass, that little 8 horse is more than enough and it will use far far less fuel.... Right around half.

That said, I'm curious to see what the answers are because I'm thinking of putting a 12 into a similar tractor that does not have an engine currently.

71_Bronco
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

if what you're looking at on the clutch pedal is the fact that it leans backwards a bit. You can adjust that some with the rod that connects to it. It's important to make sure that your BRAKE ADJUSTMENT is done FIRST, then adjusting that rod.

I have a couple of different 8 horse tractors and I had a 12 and now a 16. If you don't specifically need the extra power for something like a rototiller or tall grass, that little 8 horse is more than enough and it will use far far less fuel.... Right around half.

That said, I'm curious to see what the answers are because I'm thinking of putting a 12 into a similar tractor that does not have an engine currently.

That is correct, at rest, the pedal leans back towards the rear end. It does function properly though, both the brake and "clutch" portion. May just need an adjustment.

And I'm not looking to replace the 8hp. I have the 14hp Kohler from my Bronco 14 on the bench, and of course, it made me go "hmmm... what if...." lol

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 71_Bronco said:

That is correct, at rest, the pedal leans back towards the rear end. It does function properly though, both the brake and "clutch" portion. May just need an adjustment.

And I'm not looking to replace the 8hp. I have the 14hp Kohler from my Bronco 14 on the bench, and of course, it made me go "hmmm... what if...." lol

Yep. That should be just exactly it. go ahead and get your brake adjustment done and then on the rod where it is attached to the pedal there's going to be a clip. Just pop that Rod out and you should be able to screw that Rod forward there by adjusting it and leading the pedal forward more.

I've had the exact same thought about the engine.....

:lol:

Pullstart

That big block will fit, it’s just a matter of what might be in the way?

016CD2C6-1639-4990-9D1F-FAE1444FD3A3.jpeg

73776F41-B17F-4183-8B1D-2EF343D3B5AA.jpeg

8C7E31BC-239A-4728-A3E3-C55E45867B79.jpeg

80970DB0-9863-4773-93BD-68D43D2A47FF.jpeg

07F06573-4CBA-40AE-8CC9-6D46C6E0258E.jpeg

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Reeeeaaalll niccccee!

71_Bronco

Got some more pics. The slot hitch is frozen, so I'm going to have to work on that.

The headlights dont have a lens, but I have a sheet of 1/8" lexan I can cut one out of.

I also took a pic of the dash with all the accessories.

I couldnt get a good pic of the clutch pedal because its packed tight in the garage right now.

20190509_181503.jpg

20190509_181444.jpg

20190509_181428.jpg

20190509_181419.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

Here’s the dash from my Commando 8. Mine has a filler plug where your rocker switch is. It also doesn’t have “LIGHTS” printed next to the spot where a rocker switch would go. Interesting, yours looks factory minus the odd switch you have next to the cig lighter.

70B2E9AE-BFCE-4647-BAE6-8242ED5EA3AB.jpeg

596DD7B8-32B4-4312-99FD-5E68FA25818D.jpeg

• Like 2

71_Bronco

Looks like the lights / dash plate are a definite transplant. I just looked behind the dash with the hood open.

There are no wires running to the light toggle switch. The chrome round thing is a pull / push switch, and that is what the light are turned on with.

It is also wired so the lights come on no matter if the key is in or out. Will have to either rewire it or make sure I dont leave the lights on and kill the battery.

I may keep an eye on Ebay and the classifieds to see if a decent dash plate comes along.

Edited by 71_Bronco

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Looks like the lights / dash plate are a definite transplant. I just looked behind the dash with the hood open.

There are no wires running to the light toggle switch. The chrome round thing is a pull / push switch, and that is what the light are turned on with.

It is also wired so the lights come on no matter if the key is in or out. Will have to either rewire it or make sure I dont leave the lights on and kill the battery.

I may keep an eye on Ebay and the classifieds to see if a decent dash plate comes along.

It's entirely possible, in fact quite likely, that a previous owner was either uninformed or too lazy to find the correct switch. It's crazy what some people will do to these machines.

The dash plate you have could be usable with a sticker kit from Terry but you may still see a small dimple there.

Throw an ad in the wanted section and I'm quite sure you'll find something very soon.

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct autocorrect

71_Bronco

I've actually got a really cool idea to make my own, one-off dash plate ;)

Stay tuned

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1