Southkraut

First garden with the wheel horse

Southkraut

So excited to get everything working. I plowed up a new spot with the wheel horse couple weeks ago. We had a bunch of rain. I tilled it up yesterday and planted. I love this tractor!!!! Now I can garden like my dad did. We’ll se what grows in this South Carolina red clay. Not at all like the soil back home in Michigan. May take a few years to get some good soil worked in. Anybody know where I can get some winter radish seed to plant this fall and plow under. My dad said that’s what they’ve been doing after sugar beats are harvested to replenish the nutrients 

20E9D7A0-AC73-4D9E-A115-9F9DB32EEF85.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

One thing you may want to consider is to get your soil tested by the local extension agent.My wife does this every other year and the one thing they report is the need for the addition of sulfer.I never would have guessed.We have chickens and their byproduct gets tilled in.2019_05_03_1991.JPG.36c1c3f39bca876de84b3cc57a14bf60.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

cafoose
4 hours ago, JAinVA said:

One thing you may want to consider is to get your soil tested by the local extension agent.My wife does this every other year and the one thing they report is the need for the addition of sulfer.I never would have guessed.We have chickens and their byproduct gets tilled in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Southkraut

Oh my the worst smell is chicken crap. They use it a lot around here. I can handle cow manure and pig manure but chickens. Lol. I’ll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the advise. 

cafoose

This is more appropriate for gardening LOL

8ntruck

Back in the late 90's we moved from Michigan to 5 acres in Bowling Green, Ky.  We had room for a 50' by 60' garden.  I had an 8N at the time with a single bottom plow and a set of cultivators.  Followed that up with a roto tiller.  Borrowed the neighbor's 8' disc once, but had a bad (learning?) experience with it and bought the cultivators.

We managed tomatoes, beans, corn, okra (yuk), melons, sunflowers, cucumbers, squash, and onions in that red dirt.  Every fall, I would go to the WKU ag. department and get pickup load or two of mulch and turn that under.  Burned all of my yard trash in the garden in the fall as well. The mulch and ashes helped the red dirt immensely.  After 6 or 7  years, the dirt was more like what I grew up with in central Michigan than the red almost clay I started with. 

Good luck with your garden. 

Edited by 8ntruck