adsm08

Exhausts

adsm08
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I got one like that from my local NAPA... Warehouse, not store.

Money automotive parts places sell those but do not keep them in stock. Tell them you are looking for a catalytic converter clamp and that may get you closer.

You'll want to try two or three different sizes to get the best fit. The size on the box does not necessarily dictate pipe  sizes.

I called the local NAPA hub, they said they didn't list anything below 1 1/4, which was a little large yet by my measurements.

7 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

It was on the muffler when l picked the

motor up from a friend. Have you tried 

tractor supply?

I did try TCS, they didn't have anything. They had some sort of U-bolt that I did try, and it failed miserably.

My muffler had a pilot hole of some sort in the one side of the pipe flange, I put a self-tapper through that into the pipe, and ran a clamp around over it to keep it from backing out since there isn't a lot of thread depth there.

ebinmaine
Just now, adsm08 said:

called the local NAPA hub, they said they didn't list anything below 1 1/4, 

The Napa I have up here had a 1 1/8 clamp on the shelf and I'm pretty sure that's the one I used. It is not even close to surprising to me that they couldn't find the listing for it.

If I remember correctly I had to get three or four people involved including a store manager and it took me well over 20 minutes to get one silly little clamp. I knew they had it so I wasn't going to let the issue go. I had to get them to pull out those old catalogs. You know the ones that are made out of paper?

Perhaps @squonk Mike could help us out here..

• Like 2

adsm08
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

The Napa I have up here had a 1 1/8 clamp on the shelf and I'm pretty sure that's the one I used. It is not even close to surprising to me that they couldn't find the listing for it.

If I remember correctly I had to get three or four people involved including a store manager and it took me well over 20 minutes to get one silly little clamp. I knew they had it so I wasn't going to let the issue go. I had to get them to pull out those old catalogs. You know the ones that are made out of paper?

Perhaps @squonk Mike could help us out here..

He probably could.

My last PT job I worked with a guy who was a Napa counterman for a while. I bet if I asked him he could probably tell me too.

The Tuul Crib
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

He probably could.

My last PT job I worked with a guy who was a Napa counterman for a while. I bet if I asked him he could probably tell me too.

Go to goggle and type in muffler clamp 

or exhaust clamp there is several to choose from.

squonk

Balkamp #7335332 1 1/8"  Std. duty clamp. Sounds like another Napa full of kids at the counter. This is a std. duty clamp made from 5/16" steel as opposed to 3/8".  I think few stores will stock light duty clamps. I think you can get a HD one from Auto Zone maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

adsm08
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That reminds me of a really neat and very special trick that is so incredibly simple but highly valuable.

Anywhere in the northern half of the country we have to deal with rust and corrosion on steel or aluminum or other metals.

Back about 25 years ago I learned from a younger auto tech that he was told by a mentor of his...

You can almost NEVER loosen something but you can almost ALWAYS tighten it.

At least on cars that is less true today than it was 25 years ago. All these flanged bolts and low-grade metals anymore, if it is threaded into something or you don't have access to the nut to turn it, you will just as likely stress the metal and snap the head off instead. We had major issues with this on the 02-11 Explorers. The transmission crossmember bolts point  up into the frame, with a nice flanged head. They get stuck, because it is a boxed frame with "breathing" holes, and then they snap off if you try to move them either direction. InForce and heat were the only good options.

One time neither of those worked and I ended up drilling and tapping the shaft of the old bolt with a new, smaller, one.

3 hours ago, squonk said:

Balkamp #7335332 1 1/8"  Std. duty clamp. Sounds like another Napa full of kids at the counter. This is a std. duty clamp made from 5/16" steel as opposed to 3/8".  I think few stores will stock light duty clamps. I think you can get a HD one from Auto Zone maybe. 

My local NAPA used to be good. Then after 20 odd years the GM got tired of all the tomfoolery the upper management was trying and went to Fishers, and most of his guys left right after him. For a while they had a sign out that they would not be open during their posted weekend hours because of "staffing issues", which basically meant nobody left who wasn't already well into OT and the company didn't want to pay it.

One of the guys there also told me that the DM wanted to "standardize" the inventory at all of his stores, so they took out the hose making equipment and replaced it with 25 radiators that this store has never sold, but the one in Mechanicsburg moves regularly.

ET160

NAPA has all kinds of good stuff.  Often, I find that they have little in stock that I need, though.