WildmanC120

First Cut at New House and A C-160

Razorback

Congratulations on the new house and land! What a great feeling! And, I hope you enjoy your C160 as much as I do mine! I’d love to find a 48” deck for mine to help with our acre lot. Man, if I could do that, I could cut my GT family down a bit. I keep a newer Craftsman GT with it’s 54” deck just for mowing.

Where was that connector you pictured?

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
4 hours ago, Razorback said:

Congratulations on the new house and land! What a great feeling! And, I hope you enjoy your C160 as much as I do mine! I’d love to find a 48” deck for mine to help with our acre lot. Man, if I could do that, I could cut my GT family down a bit. I keep a newer Craftsman GT with it’s 54” deck just for mowing.

Looks like the connector for the ignition key assembly. Anyway, that is a good first house that just needs one other thing--a nice big shop for the C-160 and all the other horses sure to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120
6 hours ago, Razorback said:

That was the old 5 pin for the ignition switch.  IDK who touched this tractor last but they did a terrible job fixing wiring haha.  

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Looks like the connector for the ignition key assembly. Anyway, that is a good first house that just needs one other thing--a nice big shop for the C-160 and all the other horses sure to follow.

Yes.  My 5 year plan is to get a garage.  For now I do have enough shop and storage space to get me threw.  

I have a full basement with a 54" garage door to ground level.  I also have a large 10x20 shed out back.  It needs a little cleaning up but its nice and solid.  These should do for a few years until I can get the finances in a good spot to have a garage built.  

• Like 2

peter lena

hello wildmanc120, don,t know what you did to correct  that wiring issue, but  both the correct switch and  5 point plug in harness are available on line for about 20 $ . my experience with horse wiring is to replace the bad with new , secure solid grounds , use dielectric grease on your connections , for connectivity and corrosion resistance. if that was the major issue had , consider yourself lucky and make sure you detail your baseline service , that will help ensure your tractor  running well. pete   

WildmanC120
6 hours ago, peter lena said:

hello wildmanc120, don,t know what you did to correct  that wiring issue, but  both the correct switch and  5 point plug in harness are available on line for about 20 $ . my experience with horse wiring is to replace the bad with new , secure solid grounds , use dielectric grease on your connections , for connectivity and corrosion resistance. if that was the major issue had , consider yourself lucky and make sure you detail your baseline service , that will help ensure your tractor  running well. pete   

All I ended up doing was get a new plug and spliced in to the existing wiring.  Fixed some cob jobs along the way and back to usable condition. 

• Like 1

chip61

Nice place! As you've found, that C160 can handle anything you throw at it. Yours has a lot more paint on it than mine does, but with the exception of a couple electrical gremlins mine has been a very dependable tractor. It's more comfortable than my 416-H.

• Like 1

WildmanC120
1 hour ago, chip61 said:

Nice place! As you've found, that C160 can handle anything you throw at it. Yours has a lot more paint on it than mine does, but with the exception of a couple electrical gremlins mine has been a very dependable tractor. It's more comfortable than my 416-H.

Thank you.  I am loving the place so far.  I have so much stuff I want to do with so little time.  It's all minor things though.  Needs some serious landscaping though as its very bland. 

I'm actually very impressed with it.  Here is a video I took today mowing.  You can see how long the grass was and how she just grunted and took it all without issue.  

C-160 Mowing Tall Wet Grass

Edited by WildmanC120
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

thank you for the ride along, sounds effortless , very good. i would drop that deck and scrape it out , i use  chain and cable spray on mine to feed the metal fend off rust , if you can, also leave it upside down to dry out with the sun , i have a rustproofing deck ,  site on this site, it works. i would also take advantage of a total hot engine to do a fresh oil change , rotella 30 wt  is the oil to use. good luck with it , pete

• Like 1

WildmanC120
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

thank you for the ride along, sounds effortless , very good. i would drop that deck and scrape it out , i use  chain and cable spray on mine to feed the metal fend off rust , if you can, also leave it upside down to dry out with the sun , i have a rustproofing deck ,  site on this site, it works. i would also take advantage of a total hot engine to do a fresh oil change , rotella 30 wt  is the oil to use. good luck with it , pete

Thanks Pete. I'll probably drop the deck this week and clean it out well.  

I just changed the oil before I mowed.  I did use the rotella 30w and will continue to do so.  The old oil was pretty filthy.  Might be a good idea to get it nice and hot after. Few hours of mowing and drain it.  Might get a lot of good sludge out of it. 

peter lena

glad to here you used rotella , another thing doing a hot oil change on a  recent purchase is a great way to baseline your engine service , having recovered  a few engines takes time. fresh oil and sea foam  gas treatment will transform equipment. stay at it. i would also hope you are using your highest cutting setting. you are on the right track , keep it going , pete 

ohiofarmer

Those 5 pin switches can be a bit confusing. mine has 4 positions OFF /remove key IGN+ accessory, IGN without accessory, and Start . What does make sense to me is that the two terminals farthest away from the Start [solenoid] lug share continuity with that lug with the key pulled in OFF position. You would think that none of the switch terminals would share continuity with the key removed.  So that leaves only two other switch lugs for the power to the switch..And I assume the other terminal is either the accessory or more likely the coil wire. Why Wheel Horse put no markings on the thing is beyond me.

So I looked on the electrical info right here on Redsquare, and there it is..It confirmed that I was on the right track..A big thank you to 953Nut

• Like 1