dells68

Great Father Son Weekend!

Mows4three

I know that Virginia State Park!   Went through it on our way to participate in a colonial re-enactment at Martin’s Station State Park a few years ago.   It’s pretty close to the Cumberland Gap.  Beautiful area of the state.  Met some wonderful people there, too. 

It is a very historically rich area of our country.  There’s a very real and dark story around the reason for the name of that park.  It is steeped in the history of the development of our country and the western expansion into native lands.  Not taking sides, but to get a full understanding of the history of that area deserves a read of a book called The Wilderness Road. 

There is also a song by Peter Kosky on his Album “Songs of the Allegheny Frontier” that memorializes the event. Dark and sad stuff. I believe Danielle Boone’s oldest done was killed by natives in a skirmish in the area of Hungry Mother SP and is buried near there. 

Don’t mean to hijack your thread.  I have a great passion for that area of the country.  I hope you and Emory had a great time and made some wonderful memories!!!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Hungry Mother State Park

Glad to see you and Emory enjoying some good father son time.

My wife and I went past a directional sign for the park years ago and she asked "were all the good manes already taken when they came up with that?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1