Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

adsm08

Here is a video demonstration of how to use it. This woman is clearly an advanced user as she is able to use one with each hand and with great speed and accuracy to boot:

Ed Kennell
9 hours ago, formariz said:

@Ed KennellEd you are up. Where are youuuu?

I'm here Cas,  just too much to do and too little time.       I did find your post on  the foundry and pattern maker very interesting.   When I took a drafting position with Allis Chalmers Hydro Turbine Division  in 1964,  my first project was to measure a 15" dia.  model Francis turbine at different elevations or  "board sections" using a pantograph machine,  then step up these sections to the full size 30' dia. prototype and lay out the board sections full size on mylar  for use by the pattern maker to make the pattern for the 30' dia. 30 ton casting.   This drafting layout work was done on hands and knees on a 50 X 50 ' drafting table using scales, slide rules,  dividers, flexible splines and  positioning weights ( called ducks due to their shape).

I eventually joined the Hydraulic Lab where all the R & D and model testing was done for all the large hydro plants.    I was responsible for the mechanical design, manufacture, assembly, and testing of the hydro models.   While in this capacity, I purchased all my aluminum bronze and manganese bronze casting from a local father and son foundry.  The father was the pattern maker and his son poured the castings.

I also was always fascinated  by this mans ability  to  make these pattern of a 15 bucket francis turbine using shrink scales and designing the pouring and venting routes to end up with a good casting.

I eventually developed a process of machining the individual buckets on a 5 axis milling machine and bolting them to a band and crown plate.     This was a big step in increasing the accuracy of the bucket shapes and made it a simple process to step up the model digital file  to any prototype size.       I still bought the bucket castings from the shop, but they were crude with finish to allow for the milling.

Sorry, for the long story.   I need to end this.

The elderly pattern maker that became a very good friend has passed on,  but I still see his Son and Grandson at school basketball games.     About 10 years back, his grandson and my grandson played on the same baseball and basketball teams.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz

Great story Ed thank you for sharing it.. Such a fascinating trade. I was so lucky to be exposed to it at that age since it sparked such an interest for it. I have studied it all my life and used many of its specialized tools in my own trade along with many of its techniques and methods. At this point in my life, I am beginning to feel a little sad, that I have been so lucky to have been exposed to so many great craftsman and have learned so much from them, and yet much of it will eventually die with me. My oldest son although not doing it for a living is the recipient of a lot of it, himself being a talented woodworker. I feel however that it's not enough. Gone are the days of apprenticeships where younger man would serve under the tutelage of older craftsman becoming themselves the carriers of all that knowledge and skill into the future. Not many now want to learn a skill, and sadly there aren't many to learn from anymore. I have really been greatly blessed all my life to have had the good fortune and opportunity to have been exposed to so much and so many, I just wish that I could transfer it all to many more so it would go on. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tractor boy

@adsm08 will get more pictures soon as it as at my great gmas house. 

adsm08
2 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

@adsm08 will get more pictures soon as it as at my great gmas house. 

Yeah, more pics would be good.

Up to now I've obviously been a bit of a smart alec, but I do think it may be some sort of pistol gripped key hole saw.

My grand father, who does a lot of wood work, has a couple with that hooped bit. It's a depth gauge for working in a boxed area, so you don't get all stabby with whatever is on the other side.

Edited by adsm08

bc.gold
On 6/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, adsm08 said:

But sarcasm is often much funnier when taken literally.

But then I have a sick, dry, British sense of humour.

You then must be a fan of Capp.

capp2.png

• Haha 3

adsm08
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

You then must be a fan of Capp.

capp2.png

You bastard, I just spit my drink all over the computer.

Yes, I love Andy Capp. My top 5 favorite comedy sources, in no particular order, are The Three Stooges, Capp, Red Green, Red Dwarf, and Ancient Aliens.

• Haha 3

LengerichKA88
14 hours ago, bcgold said:

capp2.png

Sounds like my wife 😂😂

• Haha 4

formariz

While we wait for @Tractor boy to supply us with more photos to try and identify his whatizit, here is another one to keep us busy.

These are like the last one, accessories to an important tool in my shop. Tool is not a woodworking tool although it can be used for such work. It was designed to work with metal. Accessories shown are wood although the triangular ones were originally supplied with tool but in metal. Tool is extremely rare and it weighs over 100Lbs.It is over 120 years old. What are they and what tool do they fit?

IMG_1922.JPG.3e956df742db909d855f39579d18e0da.JPG

Edited by formariz

Ed Kennell

Looks like a set of forming die for a press.

Here is one that I saw at the auction today.   I have no idea what it is.  It looks new.

102_0041.JPG.888e18921de44a98ee65bf48524c365f.JPG

Oh, a herd of deer were also there.

102_0040.JPG.77348212cb4afb831ff00b4cdf572069.JPG

• Sad 1

formariz

Now that is an interesting item.

image.png.faae63153272eb1bd1c5e1a5e6686e2a.png