WHNJ701

educate me on the 953

WHNJ701

there is a 953 for sale near me.  all original runs and drives with a mower deck and front plow blade.

how uncommon are they?  what price range you think this would be in?  it's unrestored original faded paint.

RetroMower

I wish i could be the one to give an accurate appraisal. I can be the first to ask that you provide pictures because I know everyone wants 'em :wwp:

oliver2-44

I'm calling @953 nut in on this. But I'll take a shot as I'm learning about the poor Ford blue 953 semi basket case I have.

The 953 is sort of a one year model followed by the 1054 that is essentially the same, but the same motor is now rated 10hp.       

They are the 1st "big wheel" 15" rear rim WH.  If it has original rear tires thats a plus, I believe I've read only one manufacture makes the exact correct size in a turf, but no one makes an exact size Ag. (other manufactures offer slightly smaller/larger sizes)

Over the 2 years there are 3 steering gear configurations  (2 ross steering box, then later fan gear.  I believe there are also 3 steering wheels over the years.

You have to drop the transmission to remove the gas tank, and rusty gas tanks seem to be a common issue to check for.  

The rear fenders and seat pan are welded to the frame

If it has a working hydraulic lift (Not sure if that would be a Hy2 or Hy3) that adds value and is sought after.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

bellevillerod

Well i just got me educated on the 953/1054 model WH. Thank you...now I have to go and find me one.....the wife says thanx a lot..lol 

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, bellevillerod said:

Well i just got me educated on the 953/1054 model WH. Thank you...now I have to go and find HER one.....the wife says thanx a lot..lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2