Sign in to follow this  
bc.gold

PTO Shaft for Tiller

bc.gold

Not sure what brand or who made tillers for Simplicity, maybe from the picture you guys can help me identify this tiller or possibly point me in the direction of who may carry this oddball drive shaft.

The PTO drive shaft is a solid square that measures in the neighborhood of 14.5mm, it is flat on three sides then on the fourth is grooved running the full length of the shaft and the female sleeve coupler is manufactured to only accept this type of shafting.

Failing to find the proper square shafting I could change the sleeve coupler to a series 6, so far no luck finding one with an 8 inch sleeve.

tillie.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

They do not give a parts break down of the actual pto drive line, I needed the square shaft but have since found the problem was in engineering.

Most of the lawn and garden tractors of this era used series 6 pto shafts, yokes and bearings, whoever manufactured the tiller for Simplicity decided to make the drive line proprietary so you had to purchase replacement parts from them and them only.

The end with the yoke has a one inch square hole, the scrap welded center just a round sleeve, then the other end is where the mfg welded a metric end on, wouldn't have been a problem if they had matched the two square holes parallel to one another instead of a cork screw.

Yea the shaft I made fits perfectly until it has to mate with the misaligned square hole on the yoke, I however have the means to fix this problem along with getting rid of that proprietary metric shaft which is no longer available.

mmm.png