Stepney

GT-1848 story

peter lena

looks like a solid unit, in addition to a  BASELINE TOTAL SERVICE , GO AFTER THE ENGINE COOLING INTAKE AREA, often plugged up with debris, leading to rear cylinder over heating . seafoam your fuel , change filter , greasing and oil changing everything. show that horse some love , looks like it will benefit from it , pete

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice :wh: score.   :greetings-clapyellow:

Stepney
27 minutes ago, peter lena said:

looks like a solid unit, in addition to a  BASELINE TOTAL SERVICE , GO AFTER THE ENGINE COOLING INTAKE AREA, often plugged up with debris, leading to rear cylinder over heating . seafoam your fuel , change filter , greasing and oil changing everything. show that horse some love , looks like it will benefit from it , pete

Already went about that. Shrouds were mostly clean, some chaff in the front cylinder. Nothing alarming. The hydro was another deal entirely.. between under the frame and the rear end I pulled a literal trash bag full of debris. I have a feeling the knock is a buildup of carbon in the head,.. hoping its not the cam key-way failing, or the valve seats.. it's a pretty loud bit of noise. Engine's coming out in a few weeks when I find the time. For now it's just parked in the shed. 

• Like 1

peter lena

i would bet the debris is from a r/d mower deck,if you are going to use one , you can bolt on a full width discharge rubber strip to deflect the grass to ground. hopefully that knock is carbon , in addition to fuel flow cleaning you can get ethanol additive that might help. good luck with that , pete 

Stepney

This has a 48"SD actually, 42" wont even fit on it. Wheels hit the back tires. The guy just never cleaned it. That and with a slight leak at the hydro valve .. just built up over the years. 

Blackhood Bill

@Stepney @Daddy Don is the one to ask about that machine. He has one completely redone. There is a photo here on the site and it looks super. Yours looks really nice. See attached picture. The 1848 looks just the same as 1800

5FC8AF4D-2544-421E-A26E-5B72B8F79FFD.jpeg

Edited by Whnewone
Added photo
  • Like 2

Sparky

Definitely a repaint....and I love that gray color that was used! Probably was taken apart for paint and then reassembled ( might explain all the loose bits) 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Stepney said:

This has a 48"SD actually, 42" wont even fit on it. Wheels hit the back tires. The guy just never cleaned it. That and with a slight leak at the hydro valve .. just built up over the years. 

They are built like a 520H same 8.5" wide wheels (but a 42" RD will work "at least I have seen a couple pictures here on RS" just not a SD) and the Eaton 1100 transaxle, most people (including myself) usually spill oil when topping off or refilling from a change with the seat pan on you really can't see where all that oil and chaffe/dust ends up.

IMAG2018.jpg

• Like 1

Stepney
14 hours ago, Sparky said:

Definitely a repaint....and I love that gray color that was used! Probably was taken apart for paint and then reassembled ( might explain all the loose bits) 

Man, perhaps he found all new decals at the time then, because there's no evidence of masking or overspray anywhere. If it was, this would have been done 15 years ago, as the son said he never touched it. Considering the rough state of the deck, I'm thinking it might have had a badly bent blade rattling the thing apart. He mentioned the pto just stopped working slowly .. obviously as the bolts loosened up. Regardless, for what I paid for it, I can sort it out with no issue. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

That’s my Work Horse in the above picture, thanks for referencing it! I purchased it brand new in 1984. Used it for literally thousands of hours before restoring it last year. There was two paint colors for the Work Horse, light pewter gray and pewter gray matalic. I painted mine the light pewter gray. I believe yours was repainted. Some say that there was factory black Work Horses but I’ve yet to see documentation to prove that. I’d also say you’re correct that those are not the correct front wheels. The correct ones have a deeper dish and the valve stems on the inside. Hope this helps!