Larry Chamberlain

K301 adjustment

Larry Chamberlain

Hey guys when I put my throttle up on the wheel horse obviously it goes up in rpm but soon as I disengage the clutch the rpms drop down a bit I think little more than usual and also when running the motor will bog down a little then slowly come back up to rpm any help would be great or unless it's normal 

JoeM

I have had this and it can be many different issues.

Any thing ranging from the governor being out of adjustment, carb main jet may need cleaned / tweaked, points, spark plug (I use an Autolite 437 on some older engines they are a little hotter), old age with low compression, bad gas.

Those symptoms are real tough and I would start with the easy ones that cost no cash. My first question though would be was this sudden or over time? Having a rpm gauge tester for real data is good too. Does the engine seem to be running on governor?

Could be an implements loading issue, i.e. bad bearing on deck dragging down rpm.???

Just thinking out loud. I am sure the others maybe able to add a few more ideas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Larry Chamberlain

I rebuilt the motor about 3 months ago bored 10 over I didnt replace the spark plug or even cleaned the carb at all i will start taking the bowl off and jets out and cleaning and throwing a new plug in it carb seems to be adjusted right

But I think it goes through a little to much gas but I'm used tot he 8hp I gotta get a set of feeler gauges soni can check the points they might need adjust too 

• Like 1

peter lena

agree with  OILUJ52 , the implement loading issue is a highly possible  part of it. too often, i see neglected and lubrication starved implements and drive points that really kill its function. thats  in addition to engine/ carb fuel issues. easy to zero in on it, separate power from  implement drive, look  for any rusty friction movement area. do you grease the NEEDLE BEARING  in your pto  pulley? just a question on the answer search, pete  

• Like 1

Larry Chamberlain

I haven't put any implements on it yet 

JoeM

Yeah it should bounce right back up, could be the points now that the cylinder is fresh. I set mine at .018 some prefer .020. best is if you can check timing but sometime trial and error works fine. Do clean that carb.

• Like 1

Larry Chamberlain

Yeah I aligned all the timing Mark's up with the info I collected believe from this site I left my balancing gears in I know alot of people take there's out when they rebuilt yeah I'm just gonna do a refreshing of everything see how it goes thanks 

• Like 1

Larry Chamberlain

So I just noticed it's a labor carb and I have a kholer carb for it I just got done cleaning the kholer carb I checked the numbers and it's for a k301 so I'm gonna stick that on and set that and see how things go 

richmondred01

Look inside the throttle side of the carb.

#26 should be embossed on the top side if it’s a Kohler 301 or 241 carb.

1.07" throttle bore

tunahead72

@Larry Chamberlain The Walbro and Kohler/Carter carbs are different, and they're adjusted differently.  In other words, there's different initial settings to get them in the right ballpark to get the engine running, and then you adjust them from there to get the smoothest running engine.

Your Walbro could have one or two mixture needles, plus the idle speed screw.  Which one do you have?  If you haven't installed your other one, you might try resetting the needles and see if it helps.

Do you have a copy of the Kohler owner's manual for your engine?  There's drawings of the carbs in there, with instructions for adjusting.  I'm sure we have one here, I'll take a look and post it if you don't have one.

--------

EDIT:  I've tried three times to copy and paste the link to the manual I mentioned, and can't get it to work for some reason.  Trust me, it's there.  Give it a shot, and see if you can find it, or maybe somebody else will be able to link it here.

Edited by tunahead72