Goldnboy

B80-8 steering gear info

Goldnboy

Can anyone give me info on how the fan steering gear is removed? From the parts manual it appears just detach tie rods and pull few carter keys. Also is there new part numbers for 6469? I am guessing that the steering wheel must be removed also.

Sarge

The tapered gear is welded onto the steering shaft. The fan gear and its shaft are held on with a cotter pin, shims to set the spacing between the taper gear and fan gear, and goes through the cast support block that is bolted to the frame. Unbolt that block, pull out the cotter pin (note the shim washers position, thickness) and that assembly can come out.

Be really careful adjusting how tightly that tapered gear engages into the fan gear - that fan gear is cast and quite brittle. If those two gears mesh too tightly, it will break.

Sarge

• Like 1

rmaynard
1 hour ago, Goldnboy said:

Can anyone give me info on how the fan steering gear is removed?

As you have probably already noticed, the fan gear itself is welded to the shaft. If you have a problem with that, the whole assembly, (fan, shaft, and attachment plate for the connecting rods) must be replaced as one piece.

Part number 6469 is still a good number, but not likely to be found new. Plenty of good used ones should be available.

dmoore

Hmmm, the play in my steering may be coming from too much gap between the gears...time to investigate!