zeke37

418-A tips

zeke37

Hey folks I cannot seem to get my c-160 started this season and am going to put it aside for now. So I have found this 418-a with 787 hours, looks pretty clean with some service records, owner negotiated price is $1200. Questions: any pointers beyond normal observations when purchasing? Good equipment is at a premium around here, but I still think this is a little high. A lot of spray paint yard ornaments around on facebook and craigslist but this one seems pretty solid. Have to drive 101 miles to pick up..

THANKS!

-Tim

418.jpg

• Like 3

SPINJIM

If I was only able to keep 3 out of my 12 WHs, my 418A would definitely be one of them.   Always a dependable starter, and plenty of power.   Trouble free engine, so I'd choose it over my 520H.   Heavy duty enough to do any chore;  it's my plow tractor and my general worker.   It's the only one of the newer style hood that I really value.   The price does seem high, but it depends on the supply and demand in your area.   The hours are really low, so it's worth a bit.  The asking price for mine was $1000, with a plow and a deck and 680 hours.  I offered $800, and was surprised when he accepted.  Can't hurt to make him an offer.   Great tractor.

Good luck,  Jim

• Like 1

Racinbob

Might be a fuzz high but I don't know the market in your area. Then again, look at what $1200 will get you at the big box stores. That one looks like it's been well cared for and if it's as good mechanically you won't get hurt at the price but like Spin said, make him an offer. :)

953 nut

The only problem I have encountered with my K Twin on the 418 was he fuel pump being on top of he engine and loosing prime. I replaced it with an electric pump mounted low on the frame and now it starts in a heartbeat. I think you will be pleased.

19richie66

418-A is a beast. If I needed a tractor to mow with and I could get that, I’d buy it. You won’t get anything that will work like that tractor for $1000 and last another 30 years. Looks like it has been kept up. Lower your gate, Make an offer, if he takes it, don’t look back.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

zeke37

Thanks that’s good. I pick it up tomorrow. Stop back and let you know how it went. I just bought a plow for the c-160 mostly to maintain my long gravel driveway but  haven’t been able to put it on yes. Grass is getting long! Yes!

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

If it runs good you will have to go a long way to find a better tractor. It is basically a 520h without the onan gremlins to contend with. It will outperform any current "garden tractor "costing 4 times that and running 50 percent more horse power. 

• Like 3

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:

zeke37

Started to clean, fix small rust spots. First mow was glorious. Thanks guys.

Tim

wheel horse 418 a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Herder

Very nice machine.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Oh my that is awesome. As I said before you will never find a  better tractor than that. And what you can do with it is only limited to the accessories available. Enjoy your addiction to red tractors.

RetroMower

I saw one of these in similar condition for $800. My WH noobness prevented me from knowing these were so prized. Perhaps I will try to locate that mower again hmmm:eusa-think:. Someone should make a WH top ten list of sought after machines. I know its hard to pick among the stars lol

Darb1964

I have a 418_8 i got for 400 not in the shape your a looks to be in. It has 1500 hours on it and still runs good no oil use. I have wanted a 520_8 but they are hard to find. I think the 418_8 is as good if not better because the onans can be a pain when they act up. I have two onans a 520_h and 518_h and they are nice but when they start surging and most will it can be irritating to remedy. Nice tractor you did good.

• Like 1