12 hp Kohler

My new gt14

ztnoo
3 hours ago, Aldon said:

And it adds Bling!!!!

That's Super Bling, with whip cream and a cherry on top!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hp Kohler

I have been making some progress on the gt14. I have wanted to post an update for a while but have been too busy between school, work and all of my projects.

So... I took it for a test drive and the hydro seems to work pretty good. I am a little worried about the hydraulic lift because it lifts super slowly. I know it’s not supposed to be fast but it seems slower than usual. Opinions? Does the hydraulic cylinder need rebuilt? I haven’t put any weight on the 3pt yet so I don’t know if it is strong or not. 

I pulled the gas tank and cleaned it up, I am going to try to do repairs on it soon. I didn’t realize how bad it was cracked till I pulled it out. Here are a few pictures of it after I cleaned it up a bit. I am going to clean it up a bit more and see if I can repair it.     

9F81BC69-55C3-4543-8508-239EC598E392.jpeg.d618f4a5f17360b18b79ced34a877228.jpeg

D0CCBC5E-0C98-4A0E-B72E-4A212E1B167E.jpeg.94e7590df10511ba2789ec57f17576ae.jpeg

0DBF66C1-9A40-4299-BA1D-8A62177DAC26.jpeg.38028658e950bfe8d9e29fabc7ddb0a6.jpegE1E4957C-E1C0-40F4-BED0-0271DCD19390.jpeg.4fd2466852fb4153364b440a5b840250.jpeg

i pulled the carburetor out and it is shot. The choke plate is bent and the throttle shaft is broken, that explains why it was running a little rough. I have a different carburetor that I am going to rebuild and put on. 

42180EA2-C955-4D5B-A82C-CCC114B0B19D.jpeg.01c8b6c090dd3f2acb6fd12b4dd3ff26.jpeg

Picked up transmission fluid and a filter a couple weeks ago. I am going to try and put it in this weekend. 

I also pulled the 3pt off to clean it up and replace some hardware.

F97EF730-54AF-4CC7-B35D-E94F686A2AC2.jpeg.d2c5eed99daeb9e75a850269d6441e24.jpeg

I will post another update when I make a little more progress. I am gonna try to have it at least running and driving for the big show in June. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Good to see your progress Robbie!  That tank is pretty rough.  I’m not saying it can’t be fixed, but it won’t be quick!  Once it’s sealed up, I’d suggest epoxying some fiberglass material onto it to help hold it together.  As for the hydraulic cylinder, try putting weight on the 3 point and see if it drops at all.  Slow movement wouldn’t really be the cylinder’s fault unless the seal is leaking internally.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Good to see your progress Robbie!  That tank is pretty rough.  I’m not saying it can’t be fixed, but it won’t be quick!  Once it’s sealed up, I’d suggest epoxying some fiberglass material onto it to help hold it together.  As for the hydraulic cylinder, try putting weight on the 3 point and see if it drops at all.  Slow movement wouldn’t really be the cylinder’s fault unless the seal is leaking internally.

I am gonna try and heat the plastic a little bit and bend it back to shape, then I am going to try to jb weld the crack. 

If anyone has an old style gt 14 tanks please pm me. I know they are uncommon but it’s worth a shot. 

dells68

Look up plastic welding on here.  Several folks have had good luck using zip ties as their filler material and blending it with the original plastic to create a permanent repair.  I’m with @pullstart on using some good epoxy and fiberglass cloth.  I’ve done it myself on plastic and it creates an extra level of insurance after you repair the plastic.

• Like 3

12 hp Kohler
36 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Look up plastic welding on here.  Several folks have had good luck using zip ties as their filler material and blending it with the original plastic to create a permanent repair.  I’m with @pullstart on using some good epoxy and fiberglass cloth.  I’ve done it myself on plastic and it creates an extra level of insurance after you repair the plastic.

I will look into it, thanks for the good info. 

RandyLittrell

Another option if it doesn't work to fix it and you want to use a different tank like @19richie66 would be to cut out the front portion of the tank and mount it to the nose, then put a different tank in behind it. That way it would still look original from the outside.  Just a thought. 

Randy

• Like 4

12 hp Kohler

Changed the hydro fluid and filter on the GT last weekend. Rebuilt the carb and put it back on yesterday. Now i am just waiting for the gas tank to be finished. I took it to an Amish guy that does plastic welding, i am just hoping its done in time for the big show. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

kthack657

Great tractor, I have a 73 GT14, the one tip I have is be very careful with the gas tank, or change out the front end to a newer model (where it was iron the whoke way around...

The gas tanks are pretty difficult to find...good luck with your tractor!!!!

• Like 2