Ran d

Axle Length

Ran d

I am searching for the overall length of each rear axle in a 1969 Charger Automatic. New to forum, so if not appropriate here please suggest where to post this question. Also read some posts here that suggested A to Z for source of used parts. Looking for decent used axles and hubs for my Charger. Thank-You!

stevasaurus

Wheel Horse used a bunch of different lengths axles...mainly for the width of tires they wanted to put on their horses.  Your 1969 Charger would have the Sundstrand 90-2046 Automatic along with a #5062 trans-axle.  Your trans-axle is a 10 pinion limited slip differential.  This means that you have 2 axles of different length.  The axle on the "Right" # 7202 is 12" long.  The axle on the "Left" # 7203 is 11 1/4" long.  :occasion-xmas:  I have a video on my You Tube channel that shows rebuilding a 10 pinion LS differential for a #5060 trans if you need it.  My channel is in the bottom of my signature in this post. 

• Like 1

Ran d

Thanks for the info!  Good stuff! I have been looking for awhile to determine all that you explained.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

A-Z is great, give Lincoln a call or an Email inquire. Here is the web site. https://a-ztractor.com/

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'll put the link in here also.

• Like 1

Ran d

I sent an email to A-Z for my parts needs. They responded positively with axles and hubs can be furnished for my Charger 12 Automatic. This afternoon I pulled my rear wheels and hubs. My left axle has a slightly wollered keyway. I have two questions: (1) Both of my rear axles have about .050 to .060" end play....is this normal? (2) My plan is to remove the transaxle from my tractor, disassemble as required to replace damaged axle, reassemble with new axle seals. Is this process something that a mechanically inclined person can perform with no special tools, pullers etc?  Thanks!

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ran d said:

(1) Both of my rear axles have about .050 to .060" end play....is this normal?

That is fine, there is a little space between the snap ring and drive gear on the axle.

(2) My plan is to remove the transaxle from my tractor, disassemble as required to replace damaged axle, reassemble with new axle seals. Is this process something that a mechanically inclined person can perform with no special tools, pullers etc?

With Steve's video and input from members like Paul @pfrederi who have done it you will be fine. While you are at it you should plan to replace the outer axle needle roller bearings (B-1816). They can be purchased on line or at any good auto parts store or industrial supply house. A hydraulic press works well for the bearings, but it can be done without one.

I'm not positive, but believe the gasket is the same for the hydro and standard transmissions, @stevasaurus can tell us.  If it is you can buy it and your seals from Lowell. https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html#!/Transmissions/c/23548039/offset=0&sort=normal

• Like 1

Ran d

Got me thinking again. So the outer needle bearings are pressed into the outer ends of each housing? Assume they are behind the axle seals?

• Like 1

WHX??

You are correct sir.

:WRS: In case I have not done so.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The gasket is different for hydros than gear drives   Hydros use 5999 which is NLA form Toro but Lowell sells them ..or you can make your own.

Sundstrand hydro transaxles use a different Seal than the gear drives 1-1/8" axle. 

WH# is 6449  CR11124

Gear drives use 100443  CR 11050

seal hydro.JPG

seal gear.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1