wallfish

Hammer mechanic mistake

ebinmaine

John. I don't care what anybody says. You're the man. It takes guts to share this kind of folly about one's self.

Really nice job spreading that foam filler everywhere.

• Like 3

Sparky
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Got all over my hands while I panicked trying to shove that bolt back in. 

Damn!! No video! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

squonk

:ROTF:

:ROTF:

Dang! I missed filming another episode " Wallfish's Tractor Follies "

You didn't get any in your mouth did you? :lol:

• Haha 6

JAinVA

It is always good to learn from your mistakes but much less painful to learn from the mistakes of others.Thanks for the lesson

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ah, I say write and do jokes all the time so laughing at yourself is almost just as good. A laugh is a laugh in my book.

You have no idea how spread it really is. Bet that crap shot up in the air about 10 ft.  Got all over my hands while I panicked trying to shove that bolt back in. 

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

:ROTF::ROTF:

Overall positive intent has a HUGE part in our house.

Laugh with you. Laugh at you.

Doesn't matter.

Just laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MoreyToo

Glad no one got hurt. I have found that Lacquer Thinner is a great solvent for the spray foam.

wallfish

Wish I did have a video! I only got 2 little spots on my mustache and 3 or four on top of my hat but all over my hands. SOOOOOOOOOOO lucky it didn't get all over me. Now that would've been epic funny!

BTW, the tire actually seems like it's going to work very well. So anyone giving this a try, WAIT 'til it's dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and seal the holes with silicone or something so water doesn't get in there.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:confusion-confused:             So,   you made a mess and gave us a few laughs:    but, did you save the tire where it can be used?       Second question,  how will you get the tire off the rim now?

Rob R

Why did you not just put tubes in them????? Just saying...….

wallfish

Already have a full replacement with rims and tires coming for $28 .

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/Wheel/Pneumatic-Wheels/15x5-00-6-Pair-Of-Lug-Wheels-1-5116.axd

It's up to the next guy to get it off. Maybe I should take it to a tire shop and video the guys response when I give it to him! LoL

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

squonk
3 minutes ago, Rob R said:

Why did you not just put tubes in them????? Just saying...….

Where's the fun in that? :)

• Like 4

953 nut
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

take it to a tire shop and video the guys response when I give it to him! LoL

They always cringe when a tire that has "Slime" in it comes in, this would push them over the edge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

:no:    :omg:      This how my neurosurgeon  operates.   Now I'm nervous.  

• Haha 7

wallfish

As stated in the first post, the tires have heavy cracking and enough so to leak air. They will tear open with tubes and probably in the middle of a snow storm. For $28 it's a no brainer to just replace the whole kit and kabootle. I just got inspired to do something stupid so I took advantage. LoL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

wallfish

Don't worry Ed, I have another can of foam! Kinda looks like brains pouring out, don't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

formariz

Curious if the foam would have dried totally inside tire without being exposed to air.

wallfish

I'm sure there's still going to be some of that sticky gooie slime stuff from when it doesn't dry all the way but it got airy when loading it in there. Even more so when I pulled the plug too soon. The tire is full and hard now so...

Edited by wallfish

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, wallfish said:

just got inspired to do something stupid 

And yet...... No video.

Man.......

wallfish

It wasn't stupid until anyone else knew about it!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

It wasn't stupid until anyone else knew about it!

:happy-partydance::laughing-rolling::banana-rock::party:

wh500special
16 minutes ago, formariz said:

Curious if the foam would have dried totally inside tire without being exposed to air.

It probably would since they don’t really “dry”, they cure. 

These foams are are cured by reacting with the water in the air and in the substrate.  CO2 is evolved in the process too and makes the bubbles that make it foam. 

I really heavy or dry cavities the cure can be enhanced by spritzing with a little water before the foam sets. 

The moisture cure cure is also why they stick so tenaciously to your skin...lots of water available.  

Glad  it didn’t get in your eyes, John.  Would have been a different kind of story.  

Steve

• Thanks 2

wallfish
3 minutes ago, wh500special said:

It probably would since they don’t really “dry”, they cure. 

These foams are are cured by reacting with the water in the air and in the substrate.  CO2 is evolved in the process too and makes the bubbles that make it foam. 

I really heavy or dry cavities the cure can be enhanced by spritzing with a little water before the foam sets. 

The moisture cure cure is also why they stick so tenaciously to your skin...lots of water available.  

Glad  it didn’t get in your eyes, John.  Would have been a different kind of story.  

Steve

So what if the tire was filled part way with water and used the foam to push it out? Would that work better or cure the foam too quick? Or just a little water?

I had glasses on so if it went in my face you guys would've just been laughing harder at a pic of that too.

• Like 1

wh500special

It would probably displace the water and be fine.  I suspect if you cared about the cured density of the foam that adding water may alter it some by changing the size of the bubbles, but for normal use it wouldn’t matter.  

Might affect whether it ends up closed or open cell too.  Probably would get hot.  

Another common water-cured everyday item is superglue.  Mix enough of that stuff with water and it gets really hot.  

Steve