Razorback

After 2-year hiatus..... 2019 garden!

Razorback

Tater vine.....

F891A043-904B-4C17-856D-AAB86F6158CB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Razorback

Things are progressing. Did some tilling this evening. Looks like I was a couple of days too early on the green beans and they got frozen. Came up real spotty. Will replant in the next few days.

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

• Like 1

Razorback

Went out this evening to hill the potatoes in preparation for a weekend and week of rain chances.

FE0B9AD6-C17E-43AA-9D30-E642D67A69D0.jpeg

76B015C0-BCD4-4F31-B2D0-9902A906586B.jpeg

Edited by Razorback

Razorback

Boy, did I have fun today!!!! The forecast rains have held off, so I removed the tiller and used the spike aerator on the yard. When I finished that, I got the cultivator attachment out and installed it on the tractor. After some slight adjustments on the shanks, I stirred up the dirt between the rows and also in the area that I have not planted anything yet. I LOVE that cultivator! I can see that I will keep it on the Wheel Horse for the gardening season.... it will make short work of keeping the weeds in check until I can get everything covered with mulch.
This Wheel Horse is worth it’s weight in GOLD!!!

328FA2AF-DC4C-41BE-9588-42E0561D6A9C.jpeg

FEBDA1DD-8847-4D5E-9327-ADA20CC203B9.jpeg

FFE7AC7F-9ADA-44A3-ADEE-3BAB50D8E510.jpeg

296C65C7-B7FF-46A7-BB35-6635220FDFE6.jpeg

AC9FD37E-0C52-4908-A064-2FF90056AD1C.jpeg

E3BA14D0-18F6-4366-BB83-77EAEDA57EC1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Your garden looks fantastic.

I'm glad to see you're having so much fun on that machine.

My only issue is that you have too many attachments.

I'm thinking you should probably go buy a couple more tractors.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Razorback
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Your garden looks fantastic.

I'm glad to see you're having so much fun on that machine.

My only issue is that you have too many attachments.

I'm thinking you should probably go buy a couple more tractors.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

No room in the shed as it is! I still need to sell one or two GTs so I can get this Wheel Horse in the shed and out of the trailer. But then, I would have to fight the urge of filling it up again!

Poblem, problems!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Razorback

Stopped by my local greenhouse and picked up misc seed and 24 sweet tater slips.... now the garden needs to dry out enough so this stuff can be added..... we had a BUNCH of rain early this morning, got everything saturated again.

77611F54-FC57-4433-A7D5-044DD6347892.jpeg

Razorback

C20E4486-ED21-4F1C-9AFE-D6377E416CD1.jpeg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

That's gonna be awesome.....

• Like 1

Razorback

Went out this afternoon to cultivate and was hoping to plant the remainder of my garden. I had not used my Troy-Bill Horse for two years.... got it out, checked the oil and fed it some fresh gas..... two pulls and she started right up.

Got the C160 out and didn’t want to take the time to mount the WH cultivators, so I hitched up my Agri-Fab cultivator on the sleeve hitch. After an hour or so of work..... the lift cable broke! Spent the rest of the evening fixing that.... still need to adjust the new cable a bit to get the lift height right...... put everything away in the dark.

7AD6157E-61AF-4375-A2F0-4D279CA1B0EC.jpeg

C9FC7E37-29A0-4873-A83D-FB90B32F3355.jpeg

• Heart 1

ebinmaine

Looks wonderful!!

Most Mainers will be starting their gardens in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

Razorback

Finally got my sweet potatoes planted today!

5EDC5356-8B57-43F0-91B4-DECFFBC1191F.jpeg

• Like 1

Razorback

And the rest is looking good.... way behind on planting the warm weather stuff.... hopefully soon.

DCB2DF52-067B-4845-9C2A-BC3382FC1B7A.jpeg

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Razorback

A few minutes ago it was pouring rain, tornado warning for the area but nothing on the ground that I know of. It cooled off 20 degrees! 

81884381-5AB8-4451-8722-7F3E0E616D11.jpeg

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

Razorback

Got to spend the entire evening in the garden with the C160 and tiller. What an amazing machine! Got the area tilled where I had planted green beans a few days too early.... most got frozen. Maybe 6 plants survived.... got enough beans for dinner! After this evening, two good-sized areas are ready for more beans, squash, maybe some okra. I plan on getting up at daybreak and plant what I can before getting ready for work. 

• Excellent 1

Razorback

Got up at 05:30 this morning and got everything planted. We had a light rain earlier this morning that made the soil perfect for planting.

3 rows of flat Roma 2 beans

Yellow squash

Zucchini squash

Butternut squash

spaghetti squash

cucumbers

cantaloup

okra

collard greens

I think that was all..... we’ll see when it comes up! (Just remembered I need to plant some cilantro..... but that can go just about anywhere.)

Got chased inside by some rain.... light, but enough to get soaked by the time I came in. Perfect for the garden!

Edited by Razorback
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Never mind the cilantro. Nobody needs dish soap flavor in their food.

:hide:

:ychain:

• Haha 1

Razorback

Got home yesterday evening. Checked the garden.... something has come up..... cannot remember what I put where, but the little plants that are coming up are either squash, cucumbers, melons..... we’ll see. All I remember for sure is that I separated the different squashes with some distance to keep them from cross-pollinating.

Hoping that the green beans and okra poke through sometime this week.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I think it's pretty awesome that you don't remember where you put stuff because it's kind of like getting a present when you figure out what the fruits and veggies are in a few months.

• Like 1

Razorback
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I think it's pretty awesome that you don't remember where you put stuff because it's kind of like getting a present when you figure out what the fruits and veggies are in a few months.

May seem strange, but I was in such a rush last Wednesday morning to get that stuff planted..... I would usually make notes on my phone about what is planted where.... not this time. Does add to the fun of the garden!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Razorback said:

May seem strange

ain't strange to me at all. That's exactly the kind of thing I would forget to do and then... Have fun with it!

• Like 1

Razorback

So far, this has been a strange-weather gardening season. Relatively cool for this time of year, and lots of rain. The sweet potato vines are waiting for some good, hot weather. Those slips have been in the ground almost a month and have hardly grown a bit. We might see those take off soon because it is starting to get warmer and muggier.... more like normal. I remember some seasons where May would come, temps would jump into the 90’s, and it would be like someone turned the water faucet off. That kind of weather is actually ideal for sweet potatoes..... as long as you could provide them a drink of water when you’d see the vines getting a little droopy. I try to use captured rainwater as much as possible, but I only have 2 55-gallon rain barrels..... in a hot, dry season, that doesn’t last long at all. I would really like to get at least 2 of those 275-gallon totes for rainwater..... really surprised that I haven’t done that by now.

• Like 1

Razorback

A few pics of the garden, taken today while mowing the yard.

14DB4824-3132-4A0F-8D2C-4AEC6576DA4C.jpeg

F5FF0AC5-7DC0-456C-AC12-3EEEFB8BBE51.jpeg

F7984503-970D-4BCD-BAD5-63B054C474E3.jpeg

0A185302-8E68-43B2-88CC-F0F240C29A90.jpeg

F154BFF7-7006-4080-BF95-BE873BFA9128.jpeg

• Like 2

Razorback

Wasn’t originally planning on digging taters today, but.......

C4180638-DD6F-4B8D-826E-FFC27837702F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Nice!!