RetroMower

Which should i buy

RetroMower

Hello again forum folks. I joined a while ago looking for advice on an A100. Most replies advised me to keep looking for a horizontal shaft model so i passed on that one. Now ive found a fellow who has 3 for sale a B100, C100 and a C111. All have been stored for 6+yrs but look to be in terrific shape. 2 are in the 250$ rang and one is $180. Id would very much appreciate which model is more desirable and or reliable. Thx 

Sparky

I would be after the C-100 myself. Also I prefer the Kohler motors and I think the C-111 is a Briggs motor. 

• Like 7

midpack

So... where are all these deals???

J/K you could take any one and be happy I'm thinking.

I'd check the fluids and general care and of course $ to help me decide

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:

If the B-100 is a 76 or 77 it will be identical to the C-100 save for a couple cosmetic things and, of course, the motor. Go for the best of the two. :)

• Like 2

RetroMower

This is what i was after, the main differences between the C and B models sounds cosmetic. Would i be incorrect if i assumed the B series was was produced for a number of years and then discontinued and the C series took over? Or did wheelhorse produce the B ans C series at the same time to offer a stronger engine or mote available attachments? 

Racinbob

The B's prior to 76 were a tad shorter. The 76 and 77 were identical to the C's except for rear tire size, 22.750-12 vs 23.850-12, low back seat vs high back, headlights optional vs standard, 13" vs 15" steering wheel, of course engine size and a few minor things. All attachments would interchange but you needed to watch horsepower requirements mainly with the mower decks. In 78 both continued but the B's became light duty lawn tractors and nothing like the C's. :)

• Like 4

RetroMower
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

Just buy all three of them you are going to be hooked after the first one anyway.

I just might if the guy will gimmie a deal on all 3. 

• Excellent 4

classiccat

:wwp: !

roadapples

All else being equal, C100 gets my vote also...

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: 

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Just buy all three of them you are going to be hooked after the first one anyway.

Yeah what he said LOL. Wheel Horses are like potato chips, you can't have just one. I thought I'd be happy with just the one when I got my 1277, now I'm up to 5 and constantly on the hunt for more. Any one of the three you mentioned would be good tractors, though like @Sparky said I believe the C-111 would have a Briggs engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the older Briggs, but it's hard to beat an old K-Series Kohler

• Like 2

ZXT

Like some others have said, buy all 3 of them.. If you wave $450-500 in his face you'll probably own all of them. If they're in great shape like you've said, they should be well worth it. 

Pictures?

• Like 1

RetroMower
19 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Yeah what he said LOL. Wheel Horses are like potato chips, you can't have just one. I thought I'd be happy with just the one when I got my 1277, now I'm up to 5 and constantly on the hunt for more. Any one of the three you mentioned would be good tractors, though like @Sparky said I believe the C-111 would have a Briggs engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the older Briggs, but it's hard to beat an old K-Series Kohler

Ive worked on Briggs b4 but never a kohler. In your opinion which is easier to get parts for?

RetroMower
8 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Like some others have said, buy all 3 of them.. If you wave $450-500 in his face you'll probably own all of them. If they're in great shape like you've said, they should be well worth it. 

Pictures?

Pictures soon hopefully 

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

In my experience Kohler parts are easier to come by and easier on the pocketbook as well. None of my Horses have Briggs engines, but I did have a Gilson built Montgomery Wards tractor with a 14 HP Briggs for a while, and seemed like engine parts were harder to come by and more expensive than anything I've ever needed for a Kohler. But both are good engines and if well taken care of should last a long time. All engines have their ups and downs, and everyone has their opinions on which ones are better than others. I personally would pick a Kohler powered machine over a Briggs, but would pick a Briggs over a Tecumseh or an Onan. Parts for those can get real expensive real quick, and they can be a bear to get running right, I've got a little 70 model Commando V8 with the VH80 Tecky in it sitting in the corner of my storage shed right now, it's there because I'm mad at it...no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to run right. 

Whatever model you decide on, good luck, and remember we all like lots of :text-coolphotos:

Edited by Professor1990
  • Like 2

RetroMower
26 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

In my experience Kohler parts are easier to come by and easier on the pocketbook as well. None of my Horses have Briggs engines, but I did have a Gilson built Montgomery Wards tractor with a 14 HP Briggs for a while, and seemed like engine parts were harder to come by and more expensive than anything I've ever needed for a Kohler. But both are good engines and if well taken care of should last a long time. All engines have their ups and downs, and everyone has their opinions on which ones are better than others. I personally would pick a Kohler powered machine over a Briggs, but would pick a Briggs over a Tecumseh or an Onan. Parts for those can get real expensive real quick, and they can be a bear to get running right, I've got a little 70 model Commando V8 with the VH80 Tecky in it sitting in the corner of my storage shed right now, it's there because I'm mad at it...no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to run right. 

Whatever model you decide on, good luck, and remember we all like lots of :text-coolphotos:

Thank you very much for the input. It would seem most threads in here talking about motors are with you and favor kohler over other manufacturers. 

953 nut
11 hours ago, RetroMower said:

ive found a fellow who has 3 for sale a B100, C100

Asking us which one to buy is like asking an alcoholic if you should have a beer or a shot;   :confusion-confused:   Why only one?

If the B 100 or C 100 are automatic transmission you can use that as a bargaining chip.     "I don't even know if they work, unless they are running I will have to offer you a little less!"         Rehearse that line and use it, it works.                :lol:

:auto-layrubber:                 Go get all three!                :wwp:

• Haha 2

Herder

Buy them all, don't sweet the small stuff. :wwp:

Edited by Herder

Sparky

Any attachments? Mowing decks or snow plows?

Hearing these guys saying to buy all three might seem like joking but in all seriousness it might be the way to go. It sounds like all three bought individually is around $650, but maybe a package deal could be had for $500-$550? Then ya bring em all home, get them running and assess what you really have. If you get mowing decks you can now spin them all up to see which is in the best shape and has good spindles. 

Now let’s assume you have three running machines, you decide which one (or two) you want to keep and sell off the remainder. A running machine with at least one working attachment could be worth $300-$500 depending on its overall condition. 

Dont know your financial state but a larger monetary investment and some elbow grease and you could possibly end up with a tractor for free or close to it. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JimmyJam

I agree with @Sparky. However pics would also help us, help you. I own several machines, Many have their own function and/or state of restore.

@Sparky I own a 1979 C-111 with a 12hp Kohler. I believe that either Kohler or Briggs and Strattons were options or whatever was factory surplus at time of manufacture.

• Like 2

Sparky
11 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

@Sparky I own a 1979 C-111 with a 12hp Kohler. I believe that either Kohler or Briggs and Strattons were options or whatever was factory surplus at time of manufacture.

Wouldn’t a Kohler 12 under the hood make is a C-121 :eusa-think: ? I think when there was a Briggs single under the hood that Wheel Horse had to cut a small notch in the hood to clear the Briggs air cleaner. I’ve had a couple GT-2500’s and they both had the notch in the hood.

You can see it in this pic.....

926FCED2-3C7A-47AB-B6D8-685D58D0EB08.jpeg

8EC49247-BB18-4045-BD4A-74B2A2879F88.jpeg

• Like 1

T-Mo

The C-111 was made only one year, 1979, and had a 11 hp Briggs engine and a 8 speed transmission.  Ironically it doesn't appear in my 1979 brochure.

clueless

I had a 79, C-111, Briggs and the notch. Also the C-111 has the shaker plate.

Ed Kennell
12 minutes ago, clueless said:

. Also the C-111 has the shaker plate.

Yes, and IMO, that is a negative.   I never felt the shaker plate reduced the engine vibration.   If anything ,I believe allowing the engine to move increased the vibration and put excess cycling loads on the drive belt .     It was a bad idea that increased the cost and never had a benefit.

• Like 4