Hacksawhero123

K341 Hand Grenade

Hacksawhero123

Well, I’ve been busy with life and away from here for a while. Today was a bad day for the C160. I heard some violence in the block, followed by the unmistakable sound of a rod seizing up. I tore her all down and found chunks of balance gears in the pan. The boss holding the upper balance gear broke from the block, but no external vent holes or cracks. The rod is lunched, the slinger must have struck the balance gear when it went to the pan. The crank looks salvageable. I’m hoping to put her back to service. Wish me luck😂

Mark

• Sad 4

bc.gold

Ouch! Hope your engine block is salvageable.

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Wish me luck

Hope it works out for you.

I'll be following along to see what happens.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-imsorry:

Yet another first hand testimonial for the removal of balance gears!                 Please share some pictures of the carnage.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

Are the 14 hp bad for the balance gears or are they all this way. How far down do you have to dismantle to get them out?

Hacksawhero123

This evening I will renew my supporter status (like a dummy I let it lapse) and post some pics. Thanks, Fellas. 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hacksawhero123

Carnage pics 

Mark

D0199F02-E094-4CA7-BACA-29C02866B3DD.jpeg

175AF501-90B6-4A3B-8AF1-21DE786289F9.jpeg

B8BD49A5-799B-413A-AF09-536DB8708228.jpeg

• Sad 1

Hacksawhero123

Afternoon Gentlemen. Good news. I found a K341 nearby. It turns over, looks original, and is complete minus the carb. It most likely has a stuck valve. I’ll pick it up tomorrow for $225. I’m still taking my old motor to the machine shop. If it’s salvageable, I’ll rebuild it and shelve this other one for a rainy day. Thanks for the condolences.😂. And the moral support. 

Mark 

• Like 4

bds1984

I am glad I removed the balance gears from my K341 in my C165!  I really didn't notice any difference in the amount of vibration afterwards either.  

• Like 2

Hacksawhero123

My new protocol is to remove them from any equipment that comes through my shop door. Terminate with extreme prejudice 😂

Mark

• Like 1

MalMac

I agree get them out, now with that said. The Magnum 14 and 16, they need to stay in there. I took them out and ended up

with a ultra micro vibration, almost sonic like. After doing some research, I found on Brian Miller’s web site that on the Mag 14 and 16’s need to stay in there do to the way the engines are balanced. I figured he knows a whole lot more about them then I do. I found out first hand. Glad I did not keep running them without on a 14 Mag. It would have ended very bad. 

Now I have K series I have, I have removed them all with no problems. 

• Like 1

pacer

Yeah, I'm another convert.... A while back I had seen a couple post mentioning the "grenade gears" - I had never heard of them! So as the weeks slipped by I became more and more concerned about a .... rattle?? in my 341. I have heard many noises from engines - piston slap, rod loose, valve clatter, etc but this noise was different. Feeling frisky one day I decided to go in and check, after all these engines are relatively easy to remove and take the pan off..... whoa, those 2 gears were very loose!

I feel sure I would've been looking at a similar 'grenade blast' like hack saw shows if I hadnt made this relatively easy/simple check. Wisely I went ahead and pulled the head and removed the piston/rod and valves for inspection. Found the rod/piston were well in specs, but did go ahead and throw a new set of rings in, and gave the valves a 'clean up'. Doing this sure gave me some additional comfort knowing with removing the 'grenade gears' and a wellness check on the rest of motor that I should go a long while yet......

• Like 1

richmondred01

Look at the bottom of the cylinder apron and see if any chips or cracks. 

If not you should be good to go. You were lucky I’ve seen them blow out the side of the block.