ebinmaine

Drainage and Ice Jam advice needed

ebinmaine

If you all would be so kind, take a look at this one minute video and it explains my question.

@pullstart pay particular attention around the 56 second mark. :D

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

You've got 2 choices.  (1)Keep up with the snow build up through the winter.  (2)Build something...wall with sand bags...or blacktop that funnels the water down the road.  Looking at the layout, you might as well have built the shed in a creek bed.  :notworthy:

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

....  Looking at the layout, you might as well have built the shed in a creek bed.  :notworthy:

Yeah I don't disagree with that. I'm not the fool that put the shed there in the first place.

I would have put it off to the left where it was higher up.

C'est La Vie. It's been there 15 years. Just gives me a good reason to build a much much bigger building now doesn't it?

:greetings-clappingyellow:

:party:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I got nothin Eric, but Mirror’s lookin’ ready for action today!  I’m ready for another two hour nap :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

Video not working for me so I'll just suggest a stick of dynamite and run! :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

Stilts!    And cute pooch!

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

You need a machine Eric(dozer, excavator)...just a one day rental would do it... 

to cut down Trina's rock pile...add material in front of your shed's entrance...

slope all those ramps away from your entrance, to stop funneling all the runoff into it. 

• Like 2

JoeM

Retaining wall with ramp and backfill against ramp.????

EBsshedramp.JPG.ee1b6cab99aaa55c732c54e516d0f5c7.JPG

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

Retaining wall with ramp and backfill against ramp.????

EBsshedramp.JPG.ee1b6cab99aaa55c732c54e516d0f5c7.JPG

Nice image capture there Joe.

I need to be able to drive the tractors while pulling trailers on this whole area.

I may very well end up removing more of the fill that you see but I can't add any walls anywhere around in here. 

Edited by ebinmaine

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

dynamite

Hahahahahahahaha

Jim I want you to know Trina said exactly what you did

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

What’s the grade behind the shed like?

Looks like you might be able to grade it to rear and discharge water to rear past that buried small pine tree? Coupled with slight regrading away from door might do the trick...?

• Like 1

JoeM

I see your point EB.

I got to tell you this story. I had a guy here with a track hoe running drainage pipe and swells. When he first pulled in, we looked over the job, and I was instructing him about what I thought needed done.

He looked at me and said really? In the county I live in, that is just a nice way of saying that's stupid. Okay what do you have in mind? he said first lets establish this; "there was only one guy that made water run uphill and he ain't here"! He got out the transit and voila, I was off. Living on this hilly terrain I learned that a good level and a piece of string, maybe a transit, water hose maybe is a good place to start and lay out elevations to plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Jim I want you to know Trina said exactly what you did

Smart gal.... how the he double hockey sticks did she end up with your sorry a$$?? :ychain::shifty::ychain: 

Got the video finally so make it 4 sticks or Craig's idea.... :)

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

@WHX22 Jim, I have no idea!! how she tolerates me...

So far I've got some great ideas but dynamite seems the most interesting and fastest.

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What’s the grade behind the shed like?

Well it's like this...

The ground at the back of the shed is about 30" lower than the front. And it drops that much in 20 feet.

We live in mountain country so you have to build where ever you can sometimes but I'd have done a Bunch more digging before setting a building there.

@stevasaurus

I'll never know what the PO was thinking when he put it there.

I believe they put it  so the town could not tax it as a garage. (Can't drive a car to it)

I don't plan on using it for more than a few more years but who knows?

It has a terrible lack of foundation. We plan to build a garage or move where there is one already.

The ground in the front where the ramp is now used to be so close to the building that I had trouble opening the 4 foot swing out door.

The "new" excavation was done last April and we had limited hours of machine use.

I do agree that the ramp should be deeper and the rock wall taller.

We'll be working on the area through the non frozen season this year.

Pullstart
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@WHX22 Jim, I have no idea!! how she tolerates me...

So far I've got some great ideas but dynamite seems the most interesting and fastest.

Take video, teach Trina how to post it if you light the wrong end of the fuse or something.. get a parachute and a helmet and enjoy the sky ride!

• Haha 1

Sarge

That location is the general problem - that part will never go away no matter what is done to help with drainage. Wind/snow and such forces will always try to fill in the void and that hill despite any effort you make to change that. It would be far more sensible to change the location to a higher point behind the house and allow that natural ditch to do its job. Besides, you already listed reasons to ditch the building - I'm sure there is material there that could be recycled into a new one and retain your avoidance of being taxed for another building on the property.

I run into these problems constantly at work - buildings in places they don't belong and our upgrades to the roads can create some new issues with drainage to a problem that already existed for property owners. The State will do what it can to minimize any impact on a property owner - but they will go only so far when a structure is in the wrong location to start with. I've watched the Engineers come up with some pretty good solutions, but those can come to quite an expense in a hurry. Unless that building was raised, the area by the door filled in better and graded properly - that will never change the problem. 

Sarge

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:omg: 

ebinmaine
Just now, AMC RULES said:

:omg: 

Hey Craig? You got any dynamite I can borrow?

AMC RULES

Host a meet & greet at your place, have everyone bring a tractor and dozer blade to push material around with. Have a mini excavator and 10 yards of 3/4" stone on site. Trina and me will make short work of it Eric...and you can take picts.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine

Straight up. You drive out here from New York and I'll make that happen.

I already got about seven or nine yards of stone sitting waiting.

the only problem with your theory.. you and I both know I'm not exactly the picture taker around here.....

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Well, I'm putting Trina to work, so you're gonna have to step up your game Eric.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug: Well, I'm putting Trina to work, so you're gonna have to step up your game Eric.

I'd give it my best "shot".

:hide: