Dano101

D160 hydro pump

Dano101

So I dug into my D160 the other day to replace a leaking oil seal on they hydro pump and I had a UH OH moment. I got everything off relatively easy until I got to the splined spacer in back of the coupler on the pump. I managed to break it into a couple pieces. Now I’m not sure what to do is it a necessity to have it or can it go back together without it? Please help!! 😅 

1FD7A87A-2C0F-415A-BB4E-CAB597074EA5.jpeg

D5005289-AD80-4E51-A9E6-01AB40F3C5D8.jpeg

B7BD2F8B-A897-4818-BAAA-0449D5F48C15.jpeg

pfrederi

I have not seen one of those on any of the pumps i have.  i have to assume it is the splined washer that Sarge mentioned. It is shown in the tsb #217.  Incidentally does you D 160 have a Kohler or Onan???  It was an add on and is no longer available so i guess you will have to go with out it.

Edited by pfrederi

Dano101
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I have not seen one of those on any of the pumps i have.  i have to assume it is the splined washer that Sarge mentioned. It is shown in the tsb #217.  Incidentally does you D 160 have a Kohler or Onan???  It was an add on and is no longer available so i guess you will have to go with out it.

Mine has a Onan in it. And from the looks of it it’s going back together without the washer now just hope I don’t screw these splins up! Here goes nothing!!!

Sarge

Again - the most important part is getting the crankshaft of the engine perfectly aligned with the hydro pump. Being just at a very slight angle will introduce a wear issue on those splines in both the shaft as well as the coupling. Those splines look pretty clean - consider yourself lucky there as most are not nearly as sharply defined from being worn down. I would advise to read those bulletins and use the Loctite method when you reassemble that coupling to the hydro pump and get that coupling as far as possible onto those splines for the most strength. Avoid any shock loads on that hydro system in the future - those splines will act as a fuse. 

Did you check the amount of play in that shaft and front bearing?

Sarge

Dano101

@Sarge I have 0 play tolerance with the shaft bearing thank god. I think I got very lucky on this one with the splines and bearing. Looks like a reseal and alignment and hopefully back in action we go! Thanks for all the input it’s been a huge help!

Dano101

Well little update on the D160 pump reseal. After ruining the first seal trying to put it in and throwing $$ out the window because of it I now how the second new seal in and ready for action! Thanks to @bmiller0457 and the tape around the input shaft of the pump to help get the seal past the ridge right after the splines “which took out my first seal”. Now for the reassemble tomorrow. Here’s some pictures from the presses 

ED501EEA-9A67-401B-A644-4C40046BF1BD.jpeg

76676044-5C68-4EE1-A543-0697341718BD.jpeg

8A7590E3-66AC-4701-A8E7-6FBEBD368A74.jpeg

• Excellent 1