raymater99

Electric fuel pump question

raymater99

Have a 520 with Onan engine.  Original fuel pump went bad and I figured switching to electric pump might work as I tried a new one and still didn’t work.   I found wire that was hot when key was turned on and ran black wire to negative on battery.   I made sure pump was full of gas and did not hook hose to carb and turned key just to make sure pump was working and it was pumping good. I turned key off and  I hooked up fuel line from pump to carb and turned key and nothing.   I have tried 2 different pumps and both did same thing.  Just seeing if anyone has any ideas why it might be doing this.  Thank for your help

clueless

So original pump doesn't work, new one doesn't work and electric one doesn't work. May not be a fuel pump problem.

• Like 3

raymater99

No fuel getting to carb.   New fuel lines from tank to carb.   Tractor will start and run for a few seconds when I put fuel in carb.  Just making sure that electrical setup will work.   Pump is mounted to frame lower than fuel tank also

• Like 1

ericj

did you check carb to see if the needle is stuck in the seat ?? I had a Kohler 12 that the needle stuck, had to blow air in fuel inlet of carb to get it unstuck and it would run and start fine, until left sit for any long period of time then would have to unstuck it again to get it to run. Finally got a kit and rebuilt the carb and had no more problems with it. good luck

eric j 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

you did check that the shut-off to the fuel tank was turned on , if it has one, don't ask why I might mention this :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

:WRS:

In let and outlet are marked on the pump, they are correct, right? I agree with Eric, the carb. is likely to be the problem.

• Like 2

ericj

forgive me moderators but I believe this is more of an engine issue then an electrical problem

eric j

wallfish
On 3/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, raymater99 said:

Just seeing if anyone has any ideas why it might be doing this.

Try disconnecting the fuel line to the carb again and see if it pumps again. If it does then the problem is at the carb. Like others mentioned check the float valve. 

where is the fuel filter? before or after the pump?

OR, is what you're describing as "nothing" means the pump acts like it has no power to it? No pulsing.

What pump is it? What wire did you find the hot wire and what does that originally go to?

If it's one of the $10 cheapie pumps, I had one stop for no apparent reason. So I took it off and tried to blow air through it. Check valves are same direction as fuel flow. And could not blow air through it. Never did open it up but it was like the pressure inside was holding the check valves closed.