Cetan08

plowing with hydrostatic drive.

Cetan08

Maybe this has been covered before but I am curious. I just watched a 520H do plowing and I understand the difference between the pumps and engines. The local antique tractor club has plow days and I am a member. I was asked if I would want to use one of my horses so folks could see the capability of these great machines. I have three out of my herd that I am thinking of using. My D-160 with the K-341, my 516H with Onan or my 416-8 with a BF MS Onan. I am leaning towards the 416-8 but would love to use the D-160. I can't imagine they would build the D or the 516H they way they did if they aren't capable. What should I look out for or expect. I don't want to destroy anything but love showing them off.

FYI. The ground being plowed has been previously worked over the years.

Thanks Everyone.

• Like 1

953 nut

If yo have the three point and a plow to fit it I would say the "D" is the way to go!            Hearing the big 16 thumper at work is music to my ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

D's have the weak link coupling the motor to the pump. Not knowing the condition of your D I would opt for the 8 speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cetan08

I went through the D and the coupling is in very good condition along with the complete hydraulic system.

I do have the three point and a nice plow. It would be nice if there was a fan or something to help cool the pump on the D series.

If I use the D should I load the tires or have some weights on the back. I presently have 26x12x12 ATV tires on it that are fairly aggressive. I will try it out in my own garden before the plow days.

Another option would be to put my tiller on the D and the plow on the 8 speed.

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

should I load the tires or have some weights on the back

@PeacemakerJack

@Achto

@WHX22

Where's the plow dogs?

• Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

@Cetan08 I would go for the 416-8 provided you have the weights and tires for it.  The D would be a fun tractor to plow on as well but you just need to make sure that you have a strong hydro on it.  Caleb plowed on his 418-C last summer and it did really well.

I have posted this video before but it shows that a strong hydro and proper weights will make a good plow tractor.  I have always been more partial to a Gear Jammer for plowing though. My personal plow tractor is a 314-8 and it works great...

What I personally like about the GD tractors is that you select your gear for the conditions, typically 2nd, let out the clutch after dropping the plow and go.  However, I know lots of guys that plow on a hydro with great success.  I don’t know if you have followed the big plow thread, but I suggest looking there if you haven’t.  It was pinned by the moderators and will give you lots great thoughts and advice on plow setups.  Feel free to ask any questions you like here or specifically on that thread as we are trying to continue to develop it into a great resource for anyone new to plowing. It is also good for us that have been plowing awhile to pick up tips and thoughts from the other “plow dogs”!

Eric—thanks for bringing me in on this one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Found this video of a similar rig plowing.  In this case he isn’t running aggressive tires or chains but note the three point Cat 0 12” Brinly plow.  More food for thought anyway...

Cetan08

I have decided to put a set of AG's on the 416-8 and plow with it and set the tiller up on the D. The D is the only one with PTO for the tiller anyway.

Wished I had put this in the plow thread. There is great info over there.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

Wished I had put this in the plow thread.

perhaps as you are taking the time to set up your machine you could post in the other thread....

your learning experience will turn into information for others down the line

dcrage

I saw on your original post that you were considering plowing with your 516-H. That tractor has an Eaton 700 and is NOT RATED for ground engaging work. Somebody chime in here if I am wrong. 

Cetan08
4 hours ago, dcrage said:

I saw on your original post that you were considering plowing with your 516-H. That tractor has an Eaton 700 and is NOT RATED for ground engaging work. Somebody chime in here if I am wrong. 

You are correct about the earon 700. When I got mine the 700 had already burnt out so I put an 1100 in it. Easy conversion.

• Like 2

Cetan08
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

perhaps as you are taking the time to set up your machine you could post in the other thread....

your learning experience will turn into information for others down the line

I will be sure to do this and add pictures along the way. Great idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: anything that can be added to that thread related to plowing will help future :wh: guys that want to try that segment of the hobby.  More and more antique tractor shows that have plowing as part of the festivities have opened up to GT plowing because many folks have garden tractors compared to fewer and fewer that own their full size counterparts.

It is also interesting the crowd that a group of GT’s plowing a larger field will draw.  Many people will stop to watch for awhile. Most will say that they never knew that a GT was capable to do that type of work...

@Cetan08 can’t wait to “watch” you get yours setup and working!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

T-Mo

I plowed with a 416-8 with a 10 inch Brinly plow.  It did okay, but not near as capable as my JD 316 Onan that I had a few years back.  I had a 3 point and a 12 inch 3 point Brinly on the JD 316 and it was a lot more capable than the Wheel Horse.  It was heavier, had higher ground clearance underneath the rear differential, and just did better.  BTW, the 316 Onan has a hydrostatic transmission on them, and is basically a 318 with less features.

In my experience, field conditions, plus how well your plow and tractor set up is, are keys to plowing.  The tractor is important, but how you have your tractor set up is also important, i.e. traction, rear weight, etc.

One last thing, if you ever had to lift a plow out of a ground with manual lift, and compare it to hydraulic lift - you will opt for the hydraulic lift any day, especially in wet field conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1