Larry Chamberlain

Snow blower

Larry Chamberlain

Looking into gettingba snow blower for my 73 work horse what is a good blower for it was wondering if a stage 2 would work on it or not thanks 

Ed Kennell

What HP engine ?   Gear drive or hydro?

• Like 1

Larry Chamberlain

12hp gear drive

WVHillbilly520H
17 hours ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

Looking into gettingba snow blower for my 73 work horse what is a good blower for it was wondering if a stage 2 would work on it or not thanks 

It's not that it wouldn't work as much as it would be working you and that tractor, the Toro 2stage was designed for the twin cylinder hydro/hydralic tractors (416-520) IMHO a 14 hp single would be the absolute minimum...as the PO of my 2stage had it installed on a 314-8...now with that being said I had a tall chute single for years and the biggest difference between the two is the 2stage can chew through DOT plow banks without clogging, if I were in your position a newer tall chute single stage easier to install, lift , maintain and less strain on the tractor again just my opinions and experiences, Jeff.

IMAG2993.jpg

IMAG5617.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

A lot depends on what and how much you have to clear.  I ran a single stage on a 12hp hydro for a few years.  In recent years went to a 16 hp hydro  Did a 28 inch snowfall two years ago.  i live on a hill that is windy I do not need or want to blow snow 30 ft in the air.  8-10 feet laterally is more than enough to get it out of the driveway.  No comments about the hat.  This was the Charger 12 several years ago

Charger blowing.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

I agree with Jeff and Paul.     I ran a single stage on a C-120 Hydro for years and it did Ok, only running out of power in the heaviest deepest snow.

Your 12 HP gear drive would have enough power to operate a single, but would be laboring to spin a two stage.

I have my single stage on a 520 Hydro now.     I really believe the single stage blowers work best when the ground speed is adjusted to keep the blower housing full, and the hydros with infinite speed adjustment makes this possible.   The convenience  of the hydraulic lift and ability to change direction instantly is invaluable when blowing and plowing snow.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge
18 hours ago, pfrederi said:

A lot depends on what and how much you have to clear.  I ran a single stage on a 12hp hydro for a few years.  In recent years went to a 16 hp hydro  Did a 28 inch snowfall two years ago.  i live on a hill that is windy I do not need or want to blow snow 30 ft in the air.  8-10 feet laterally is more than enough to get it out of the driveway.  No comments about the hat.  This was the Charger 12 several years ago

Charger blowing.JPG

Absolutely nothing wrong with that hat, Paul - I have one similar for hardhats and use it quite often. If you saw the damage from frostbite on my left ear that never goes away - you'd tighten the straps on that hat until your eyeballs bulged out. That Charger is one of the best tractor series ever made for snow or dirt work - limited slip rear axle, plenty of power and pure WH simplified build, can't beat it.

I love a gear drive for a tiller, otherwise - hydro all the way.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Larry Chamberlain

Ok guys thanks single stage it is I've seen enough of them for sale pretty cheap cheapest I've seen has been around 200 

• Like 2

Reel Mower Freak
12 hours ago, Larry Chamberlain said:

Ok guys thanks single stage it is I've seen enough of them for sale pretty cheap cheapest I've seen has been around 200 

I’ve picked up a single stage for $50. They’re out there. Sadly not a lot of people see the value in these old girls. Rather buy a crap blower from a big box store. If you were closer I’d give you one.