"Manic-Mechanic"

1961 Sears David Bradley

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I found a Sears David Bradley missing a hood and pretty rusted up. The hood I have on hand, however, I am leary about buying the tractor. There are a couple of implements, disc, blade, but those don't interest me too much. The tractor looks to be in fair shape but I haven't gone to see it yet. Can anyone give me a price on such a piece in the condition it's in? I know it's hard to guess, but I would enjoy the restoration on this one. The seller expects me to just meet half way and buy it, just like that? Well, I don't think that is too smart, especially if the rear end is all locked up or something. I believe the seller will be putting the tractor on blocks to see if the rear is freed up, or the clutch anyhow. Problem is the distance, it's at least 4 hours one way........Asking.500?

Oldman

51503109_240978056780884_8686659128111661056_n.jpg

51591181_2219825228282428_420377719461642240_n.jpg

52357811_2248481662075931_2659174992104652800_n.jpg

38474506_10204930323534035_2882043941765513216_n.jpg

1959-62 sears david bradley.jpg

Edited by oldman
text
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Looks like a cool project, but $500 seem too high for a Questionable roller.    Having said that, I have no experience with the value or rarity of the DBs.

I do like that manual 3 point.

https://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/35379-help-w-1959-david-bradley-suburban/

You may find some help here.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

if you want to pm me 

pacer

Way too many unknowns at $500 -- -- My thinking is even running/driving thats just barely in the ball park.

I had one of these and it was a worker, that little blade set-up on the back was better than a hyd 3pt in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I won a DB two wheeled tractor at the local auction for about 1/10 that price... but that’s comparing apples to oranges kind of.  But we both knew the same amount about them

• Like 1

WHNJ701
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I won a DB two wheeled tractor at the local auction for about 1/10 that price... but that’s comparing apples to oranges kind of.  But we both knew the same amount about them

I redid a 2 wheeled one they are neat and look cool, they really have little to no value out by me mine I picked up for free, I had attachments that I didn't want, I hard time giving them away some I just stuck in the woods for future generations to find

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701

mine was in similar condition but no where near that price.  I doubt the trans is locked up unless the chain broke.  I am sure the clutch is seized up.  Mine took 3 months of pb blaster to free up

i guess let's break it down this way guessing on the prices but I think they would be close 

manual 3 pt.    100 to 150

wheel weights.  100

ag 6-12s if good.  50

2 part front rims. 100 maybe more

belt guard.  75 to 100

clutch parts.  50 to 100?

implements 50 a piece

briggs engine 50 in parts

engine pulley 50

seat  25

spindles/front end. 50

trans axle and rear hubs 75 to 100

still have some other odds and ends +/-

• Like 1

WHNJ701

now let's look at the other way, again I am guessing.

purchase price. x$$!

missing hood. ?$?$?$?

correct engine 75 to 125

correct air filter offset   who knows?

misc engine parts. 50 to 100

4 tires tubes.  250

prep metal for paint  200 to 500

paint/primer  100

sticker kit.  50

clutch parts if able to find. 100

cables 40

the unknown issues. ????

labor. lots of hours!  

it's an involved project, most of the tractor is roll pined together.  I would say it's not a first timer project and it's not getting done in a weekend.  I think it's very restorable since you have the hood already which would be your biggest hurdle.  finding a 143302 or 402 engine shouldn't be horrible.

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

It'll have to be another labor of love. I don't usually resell, and if I do, usually get taken! Thanks for the comments, didn't expect too much fuss over a non-Wheel Horse. 

The tag on this makes it a 1961,this model had no turn brakes like the other's. Last year of Gold & Blue. I'd prefer the 62, it is blue on blue. They are getting extremely rare too. 

Oldman which is blue

Pullstart

Let us know how it all works out...

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I will. Not for nothing, I told the seller, he could deliver it for that price. (3hrs away). Never know until ya ask........

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Well, It's a go! The seller thought it over after my reminding him of the condition and value of the remains. Once again, another rust bucket to blast and return from the past!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701
6 hours ago, oldman said:

Well, It's a go! The seller thought it over after my reminding him of the condition and value of the remains. Once again, another rust bucket to blast and return from the past!

if you need any help along the way feel free to contact me

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

if you need any help along the way feel free to contact me

I really appreciate that. I have never been behind the wheel and the shifting, etc is all new to me. I know the wheels turn in opposite directions while the tractor is off the ground? Stuck or frozen clutch maybe? Not in proper neutral?

Regards, 

Oldman