wallfish

Anyone recognize these parts?

formariz

Now I am really speechless. People here been joking with all kinds of funny suggestions and ideas on what you are doing. All I got to say to them is be careful what you wish for.

• Excellent 1

wallfish
6 minutes ago, formariz said:

Now I am really speechless. People here been joking with all kinds of funny suggestions and ideas on what you are doing. All I got to say to them is be careful what you wish for.

Gett'n all geared up for @Ed Kennell's frontal lobe! He's going to be walk'n around the show with an animated woodie sticking out his forehead! :ROTF:

Edited by wallfish
  • Haha 6

Ed Kennell

Whaaaattt !

• Haha 6

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Got the engine block vid.

Here's a fishing reel

OK John,  you knew it was coming.    I wanna see the rings on the pistons and the compression data.   

Really like the Mitchell 300 reel.  Do you have a Penn 765?      :hide:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Were those toothpick models too, or pine block? 

wallfish

On 3/21/2019 at 7:27 AM, pullstart said:

Were those toothpick models too, or pine block? 

The reel is all toothpicks, even the gears but the engine is pine

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 3

wallfish

Here's the next installment. Belt guard

This one I kept track of time on and it took about 4 hours from start to finish. Kind of a long time for such a small part but at least it didn't get ruined half way through and a start over. Think it may get pinned on so it can be removed to show the details on the pulleys. The belt itself gave me some trouble so haven't figured out quite what to do about it, yet.

Screwed up and the engine shaft is short and doesn't stick out past the belt guard. But I think this one will slide since there's no plans for a mower deck, sickle bar or blower. Probably a dozer blade though.

64899286_beltguard.JPG.b2c934b68411d604d7e9492d51fdbd77.JPG

955425307_beltguard(2).JPG.c3e42370459a78ecf5b3704fdd00e0f7.JPG

877976162_beltguard(3).JPG.f255938a90131b70a0c5e462354a3b49.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

formariz

Placed all the build photos in my photo program . 100 build photos up to today. It is really something to be able to see them side by side in the correct order. One starts to notice stuff missed before and realize even more how tedious the whole process is. I thought I always considered myself a patient person but now I know better.

• Like 2

953 nut
18 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Screwed up and the engine shaft is short and doesn't stick out past the belt guard.

:text-coolphotos:

OK John, we will let you get away with this one, but don't make a habit of it.      :ychain:      This is amazing!         :text-goodpost:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

OK John, we will let you get away with this one.

Not me...I'm stayin on his arse.   I want him sharp as a toothpick for the surgery.

• Haha 6

wallfish
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Not me...I'm stayin on his arse.   I want him sharp as a toothpick for the surgery.

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

wallfish
On 3/22/2019 at 6:18 PM, formariz said:

I thought I always considered myself a patient person but now I know better.

Believe it not, I have no patience at all. Think it's more about determination with the challenge and enjoyment of doing it.

The idea on this one is to represent as many different parts as I can get on there which are actual parts of the RJ. That wasn't the initial plan but once the build thread got started, that's what it is now. So determination becomes the drive to try and do it. Trying to duplicate parts to represent the actual shape and size is difficult but obviously not impossible. Some things just can't be scaled because the wood can only get so thin to still maintain some strength. Which is why the front axle has gone on yet, the spindle tubes on the ends of the axle are looking to big because of trying to have the spindles steer. The small size allows for more little imperfections but it does make some of the small parts and details more difficult.

It could've saved about 10-15 hours alone just by skipping all the drive pulley stuff and making a solid wood belt guard. That area would basically have the same appearance once it's all together, but under close up examination is where a real round hood Wheel Horse collector will have a greater appreciation for it. It'll take a while for someone to notice all of those little things but that's kind of stuff that's going to make this one stand out from any other toy model. 

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Jada this morning....  “can I see the toothpick tractor?”

Me...  “I’ll look for it.”

Jada....  “wooooaaaaahhhhh!  Did you even give it a thumbs up?!”

Me...   “yes I did, Honey”

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

wallfish
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Jada this morning....  “can I see the toothpick tractor?” 

That's great when the kids are interested!!!

How old is Jada?

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That's great when the kids are interested!!!

How old is Jada?

She’s 11, Rylee’s 9.  I kinda like ‘em! :handgestures-thumbupright:

D512A278-56F1-4689-8130-1D7CC71615FC.jpeg

10E02AFC-1161-4AA8-B070-BFC666145C13.jpeg

93C5AEF8-EBF1-445A-88C8-3BACBF16B8CE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

My girls this morning asked me if there were updates to the toothpick tractor.  They don’t even ask if I’ve accomplished anything in the shop, they must be future wood workers!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

Tell Jada and Rylee here's the next update!

Been working on the rear tire and hub assemblies. These small parts with holes take multiple attempts so it takes a while. Quite a few get broken near the end when I think I got it, then BAM. It's gone. Dropped a couple too and couldn't find them.

So I'm not completely thrilled how the inner rim parts look but after so many tries doing other things and trying to add too much detail, it just wouldn't work. But here's the assembly pieces.

297949232_hubparts.JPG.5f03960ecff2b839f990806405672197.JPG

Close up of the hub and inner rim

369766399_hubcloseup.JPG.52b66e54b3128517929816cf8e8f08f4.JPG

1069643081_hubaxletires.JPG.90ce679a45bea0b239e493adf053949b.JPG

Added a small tube at the frame for the steering tube. It appears square in the pic frm the shadows but it's a tiny round tube. Oh, and you can see the sediment filter on the tank. Looks rough that close up.

710108463_steeringtube.JPG.b251f73a4926d10e3f9a29f569243c70.JPG

Here it is mocked up. None of those hub pieces are glued yet. I need to get the seat on so the tires can be positioned correctly. And I'm having a little trouble getting a tight bend for the seat spring to look right.

1773066788_mockup1.JPG.b6f9a8342671b209fc4549a115d57838.JPG

410926276_mockup3.JPG.0420a97e2865ab91333712a5d276a0ac.JPG1244086815_mockup2.JPG.bc83c01fa498263b4bc8207cec5d256e.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

:omg::eek::dance:  B - U - T - FULL 

• Like 1

953 nut

image.jpeg.82fa75871cc8abbc3917ed3f4c9e0d72.jpeg

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

Again...

• Like 1

Pullstart

Thanks for doing all this, just for my girls John!  :ychain:  I’ll show them in the morning, they’re gearing up for tomorrow’s big haul!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66

Awesomeness 👍

• Heart 1

rjg854

Unbelievable :eek:

Pullstart

My kids were so excited to find out they might be able to see this in person at the Big Show!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1