wallfish

Anyone recognize these parts?

953 nut

John,     Are you building a match stick RJ?              :handgestures-salute:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

My guess Dick.    John's making 100 of them to give away at the SHOW.     :happy-wavemulticolor:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

Sparky
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

My guess Dick.    John's making 100 of them to give away at the SHOW.     :happy-wavemulticolor:

Dibs!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

John,     Are you building a match stick RJ?              :handgestures-salute:

Toothpicks

Wonder if I should do a build thread? took some pics

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Guest 88vic

Never a dull moment 😂😂  I love it !

Ed Kennell
9 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Wonder if I should do a build thread?

You had to ask.    :text-worthless:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

wallfish

It's been a long time so my eyesight and skills have eroded quite a bit. Takes much longer now. Anything with a curve takes longer and needs extra toothpicks since the only way to curve them is to actually break them. Quite a few don't make it. Not sure what I was think'n doing an RJ. Much easier to do a square hood.

Here's the beginning of the hood. The square piece near the edge of the desk is an engine block

479742991_prehood.JPG.8f762bf11e2339d28294cd1a8610a892.JPG

This is half of the trans "casting" in the vise drying. Yes it's much easier to

make a block and sand it to shape but it looses some appeal that way. Just looks better with rounded pieces.

2135766057_halfatranscast.JPG.2f5bf5dc532c6993319dd9eaa42e6105.JPG

Pre Axle tube. It appears to be one piece when it's finished but it's actually 4 toothpicks to form a square and then sanded to get the right size dowel. The axle tube is one solid piece and goes all the way through the trans body.

861479637_roundoutta4.JPG.2d4f1e8e5bbef6d104c8288996e6bca9.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Lee1977

Now when you get around to the tires and wheels We want tri ribs on the front and R-1's on the back.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
12 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Now when you get around to the tires and wheels We want tri ribs on the front and R-1's on the back.

I may have screwed up. Tires are usually the first thing to make and then the rest is kinda sized to them. It's hard enough to get 2 broken toothpicks to line up in a circle and then keep stacking them. This one may require 3 pieces for each layered stack instead of just 2. 2 looks like it's going to be too small.

Here's a tire for a motorcycle that never got finished to give you an idea. 2 Pieces per layer.

If I can figure out how to do the treads, Ags on the back

IMG_0206.JPG.f5da081517d227b62568cabc963005f5.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sparky

Wow! Mad talent right there (and patience!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Wow! Mad talent right there (and patience!)

I don't have the patience to even paint something. Always touching it before it's dry. LoL Just work on a bunch of pieces all at the same time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

If you used wood match sticks and it didn't work out the way you had planned you could always use it to start the fire place!     :ychain:

:angry-fire:

• Haha 1

wallfish

Maybe "lathe" in the axle ends? Just not sure as once it's screwed up it's start over time. Should've done it before attaching it to the trans. duh

IMG_0208.JPG.9a9f15d4a02e1d9b31d8058ce019ac37.JPG

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Beautiful work!

:bow-blue:

Ed Kennell

We may have to promote you from "Backyard Hammer Mechanic"   to    Master Toothpick Surgeon.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

bc.gold

A small steam box might come in handy for bending those picks into tire ribs, this is the neatest steam box idea I've seen yet. As a kid the river was not far from my home and would often go down and watch the shipwrights at work, they used a long wooden box to steam the wood for bending into shapes they wanted.

• Like 3

Pullstart

No offense to the engineer man, but soooooo much cooler than 3D printed models!  Great work John!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1
11 hours ago, wallfish said:

Thanks

This should give it some scale. And, got the axle ends done. A small detail that most will never notice but the more detail the better they look.

scale.JPG.9bb87b80873c233a8e2c2441ce5fb26f.JPG

That hood painted and tiny decals would be sweet as a ring!! Id ware it!

• Like 1

wallfish
11 hours ago, bcgold said:

A small steam box might come in handy for bending those picks into tire ribs, this is the neatest steam box idea I've seen yet. As a kid the river was not far from my home and would often go down and watch the shipwrights at work, they used a long wooden box to steam the wood for bending into shapes they wanted.

Tried steaming, soaking ect. ect. to bend them but the scale size is just to small for the fibers of the birch wood to bend tight enough without splintering apart on the edges and or retaining the bend without springing back out of shape. Plus it's very time consuming as they also need to be completely dry or the Elmer's glue won't hold. Super glue holds them in place but the glue gets harder than the wood and effects the sanding as the wood gets removed quicker than the glue. That makes it more difficult to shape correctly and quickly. Good old Elmer's might not be the best thing out there but works good for this. Plus it allows some time for adjusting the joints but also dries fast enough to hold the parts, it's good to fill spots with the sanding dust mixed in.

55 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

That hood painted and tiny decals would be sweet as a ring!! Id ware it!

Actually the hood grille and a "tire" ring to make a finger ring wouldn't take too long. Not sure making it out of toothpicks would be good if it gets painted since a solid piece of anything would look exactly the same if it gets painted. Cast aluminum???

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ61cPbm1ciYUABnRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=casting+aluminum+hobby&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s#action=view&id=5&vid=2ad58d7a94e2339b732390af9afc1c32

Reel Mower Freak

Wow. Just wow. Amazing work. 

stevasaurus

:occasion-xmas:  Unreal John. 

bc.gold

Your comment on the glue got me thinking about something I had wanted to try with horse hoof glue ( animal hide glue ) often sold as chipping glue. When this glue is applied to glass then dries it contracts loosening shards of glass.

The glass is masked where there is no chipping is desired, for deeper chips the glue is applied more heavily when the work is completed gold leaf maybe applied or previously masked areas painted.

I'll leave the possibility's up to your imagination.

https://howtovideos.letterheadsignsupply.com/how-to-glue-chip-glass-instructions

gold.jpg

Edited by bcgold