Wheelhorsenut#1

Dual wheel spacers

Wheelhorsenut#1

So I picked up a pair of dual wheel spacers the other day and someone asked what brand they are and it got me wondering as well. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them.  And they weigh about 25-30 lbs each. And they are 6” long.

681370F3-9AF0-401F-A935-6F06AC9E0F31.jpeg

64602AEB-1FFD-435D-A9B9-DCE02856ACBE.jpeg

B2D3441D-706C-445B-8DE9-1DCD7643FCEB.jpeg

AE1DEE9E-435F-4330-8A45-CAEC7C961E66.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorsenut#1
  • Like 5

WHX??

Interesting indeed.  Spacers with weight built in. Must be other brands and appears to be self centering?  Looks like you would need long 7/16 lugs to mount them up???

Wheelhorsenut#1

Yeah something like that

JoeM

NOW THAT IS A SPACER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

I could be wrong in my thinking but I really think those extra long wheel studs are going to be a huge problem keeping them snugged up, personally I would go with something like the one below.

I know your not traveling at highway speeds but I'm willing to bet that 90 percent of wheel that have some loose to highway trucks and trailers were Dayton, the most horrible wheel rim in the world. Improperly tightened they have been known to spin on the drivers.

The DOT made them illegal to use on mobile home axles for a reason.

space.png

day.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Confused 1

WHX??

Agreed BC and he also ain't gonna be running them at 33,000 feet either. I say find some appropriate hardware and run them!

• Excellent 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, WHX22 said:

Agreed BC and he also ain't gonna be running them at 33,000 feet either. I say find some appropriate hardware and run them!

Could probably get away with long 1/2" carriage bolts through outside square holes too. I like the added weight.

For spacer choice I prefer the ring type as they don't allow junk to get caught up and stuck between the rims.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7aa1576ec24c8f7f92326c7f1de9f9ad.jpg

s-l16001.jpg.bf2192128f2536fc2c8e3ba797552d4d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, wallfish said:

Could probably get away with long 1/2" carriage bolts through outside square holes too. I like the added weight.

For spacer choice I prefer the ring type as they don't allow junk to get caught up and stuck between the rims.

John or whoever else, have you heard of using a piece of large diameter PVC pipe to make your own spacers?

These, pictured above, are definitely a very interesting dual spacer.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the fact that they are a solid piece which adds weight.

I don't think I would have any problem running those but I probably would use (5) 7/16" bolts to hold them to the wheels as normal and then also add the (4) 1/2" carriage bolts that John is suggesting.

It's quite likely that either/or bolt size set up would work perfectly well by itself but if you're going to be working the tractor at all it would be tough to justify not doing a few extra dollars for Hardware just for the insurance and peace of mind.

Don't forget to run the outside set of tires at a lower air pressure to compensate for traveling on unlevel ground so as to not Bend an axle or worse.

• Like 2

wallfish
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

John or whoever else, have you heard of using a piece of large diameter PVC pipe to make your own spacers?

If I could get my hands on some that's exactly what they are. It's pretty expensive to buy that large diameter pipe and even more so if you can find a shorter piece. There was a bunch of road work going on by me a couple years ago with a bunch being replaced. The guys wouldn't let me take any or even let me buy it and it was all going to the dump anyway. Stupid company regulations which I'm sure was created because some retard abused the system somewhere along the way. Used to work on new built Target stores and SO MUCH extra material would have to go into the dumpsters and no one was allowed to take anything. Some idiot was doing it and also helped himself to some needed material which was not in the dumpster but said it was. So to curb any more BS and help stop stealing, NOTHING was to be touched and it all went to the dump. Once I saw 25 pieces of 8' x 4' x 3/4 premium birch plywood just get tossed. Broke my heart not to recycle that! I wanted it bad too.

That type of spacer can be built outta pretty much anything so let your imagination figure something out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

piece of large diameter PVC pipe to make your own spacers?

:confusion-confused:            It would have to be cut on a lathe to ensure a straight even cut. To do that you would first have  to turn a fixture to hold both ends.      $ $ $ $ $ $          :crying-yellow:             Other than that it is a great idea!

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:            It would have to be cut on a lathe to ensure a straight even cut. To do that you would first have  to turn a fixture to hold both ends.      $ $ $ $ $ $          :crying-yellow:             Other than that it is a great idea!

Or just cut it on a table saw.

• Like 1

WHX??

So what size PVC are you talking 'fish?.. 6" ?? I think I could get a strait cut on it as Richard mentioned . I had my mitts on some small diameter reinforced concrete pipe awhile back??? Thoughts?

WHX??

Think you nailed it Diesel.. thanks..:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX22

wallfish
18 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

So what size PVC are you talking 'fish?.. 6" ?? I think I could get a strait cut on it as Richard mentioned . I had my mitts on some small diameter reinforced concrete pipe awhile back??? Thoughts?

Outside diameter of the pipe needs to fit in the outer curled edge of the rim. !2 inch pipe?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHX22 said:

what size PVC are you talking 'fish

5 hours ago, wallfish said:

Outside diameter of the pipe needs to fit in the outer curled edge of the rim. 12 inch pipe?

Yeah I was thinking 12" pipe as well but I've never measured it.

I'd be after a set or better yet, the technique to cut some.

I've thought about running them on a woods machine to "float" the mud/dirt better.

bc.gold
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah I was thinking 12" pipe as well but I've never measured it.

I'd be after a set or better yet, the technique to cut some.

I've thought about running them on a woods machine to "float" the mud/dirt better.

Center and weld the 12: pipe just outside the bolt circle on the first rim then cut the bolt pattern out then weld this onto the other rim, The finished product would look really cool and would be the center of attraction at the next show.

Changing a tire maybe a bit inconvenient but not entirely impossible.

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I was thinking 12" pipe as well but I've never measured it

The nominal size of pipe is the approximate inside diameter of a schedule 80 pipe. The outside diameter of a 12" pipe is probably close to 13".

9 hours ago, wallfish said:

Or just cut it on a table saw.

:confusion-confused:    If the piece you have has a good true end you probably could rotate it up against the fence and come out OK.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2