TT

1982 GT-1848 WorkHorse

Blackhood Bill

@TT not many of these around. Besides that you have the only one I've seen that doesn't have a black frame! Pretty unique :wh: to keep alive and together.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbupright: Nice, how's it run? 

TT
39 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:handgestures-thumbupright: Nice, how's it run? 

It's been sitting for a few years, so not real well. It made it from driveway to shed under its own power. I haven't touched it since.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Just curious...

as most tend to either love, or hate them Briggs engines. 

• Like 2

Herder

Nice. Throw a Kohler on it and your ready to go. 

ACman

I bet the Grazer zero turn with a 18hp Briggs I used as a kid had 4000hrs on it . Never did anything but change oil and filters. I also had a el-cheep RanchKing with the vertical 18hp i/c twin and it too was built proof.:tools-hammerdrill:  Maintenance maintenance maintenance !

• Like 3

TT
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Just curious...

as most tend to either love, or hate them Briggs engines. 

Well...... it seems like the same people who bad-mouth horizontally-opposed flathead engines (including Briggs, Kohler, and Onan) are the same ones who can't outsmart a Tecumseh. :ychain:
The original engine on my '83 GT-1848 served me well for quite a few years - until the crank gear & key and valves/guides got bad enough that it was better for my wallet to repower than repair. (I already had the replacement engine)
It's had a Vanguard V-twin on it for quite a while - and I'm very pleased with the power and the fuel consumption.
ogm2.png

• Like 7

TT
1 hour ago, Herder said:

Nice. Throw a Kohler on it and your ready to go. 

Maybe a Command twin......   but I'll do another Vanguard twin swap first - if I need a reliable worker.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

There's a really sweet, grey Workhorse at the big :wh: show every year...signed by Cecil...

sporting a Briggs that's been worked over, always catches my attention when it's fired up...sounds like a Nascar engine.  :angry-extinguishflame:

• Like 1

cschannuth

One vote of confidence for the Briggs.  The only WH engine in my herd that's never been touched is the twin Briggs on my '78 C-161.  It's had a couple sets of plugs over the years and regular maintenance and that's it.  Plus, after he passed away, it sat in my Dad's basement for 8 years before I got it out a couple years ago.  Fresh gas, a battery, and a tune and it fired right up and has been my workhorse ever since.

Edited by cschannuth
sp
  • Like 4

Sparky

Very interesting with that color matched axle, trans-axle and frame :eusa-think:.... might be the first Ive ever seen that way.

• Like 4

TT
6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Very interesting with that color matched axle, trans-axle and frame :eusa-think:.... might be the first Ive ever seen that way.

That's exactly why I don't want to "ruin" it.
I really wasn't planning on another mouth to feed. Perhaps it needs a new caretaker? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 3

bds1984

There is nothing wrong with the big Briggs Twins!  When I was a kid my parents had an 18hp vertical on a Yardman, great engine and lasted a very long time mowing four acres, twice a year.  Maintenance is the key!  I think what gives the Briggs twins a bad reputation is that a good number of them were installed in cheaper riders that were purchased by people who were too cheap/little know-how to properly maintain it.

• Like 4

Sarge

I had an early Huskee with the 18hp Twin II Briggs engine - you couldn't kill that thing if you wanted to. Regular oil changes and air filters were all it ever got - had more than enough power for the deck and two stage blower, the dumb thing just rattled it's valvetrain like it was a career, as all of them did. Great ignition system, fired on the first revolution almost every time, even in the winter. That older generation vertical shaft engine was one of the toughest ever built - simple and very reliable. I'd like to find the 18hp horizontal Twin II in decent shape for a project but they are getting rare as most were just abused until they died.

Sarge

• Like 3

richmondred01

Yep nothing wrong with those Briggs. 

davem1111
On 2/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, Blackhood Bill said:

@TT not many of these around. Besides that you have the only one I've seen that doesn't have a black frame! Pretty unique :wh: to keep alive and together.

My GT-1848 has a black frame, and I think it looks better that way. Too much gray otherwise.  Well, my hood and fender, etc. are currently red, painted over by a PO, but I'm going back to the original gray when I get around to it. Happy with the Honda GX610 on it. :D

• Like 1