ebinmaine

Should I have to prime a K341 fuel pump/carb?

ebinmaine

We got enough of the cinnamon horse together last night that I wanted to test fire it.

This engine with this fuel pump and this carb ran last March. (Video in thread.)

With the original fuel pump it wouldn't move fuel so I threw on a plastic Kohler one from the parts pile.

Tested in hand that one has the capability of creating a little pressure but on the tractor it will only push fuel to just before the carb, not up in it.

I checked the needle/seat and carb flow is fine.

I sprayed a small amount of MAF cleaner in the carb and the engine fires over for a few revolutions.

So why am I not getting fuel in the carb??

Is there another weak fuel pump or am I missing something.....?

953 nut

Eric, there are two small check valves in the pump that direct the flow of fuel and allow pressure to build. If one or both are not functioning properly it will not work well. Pull it apart and clean the valve in some carb cleaner and you should be good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Ok Richard I'll try that in a little while and see what happens.

Thanks!

Herder

Do a recheck, then prime it. Trapped air will not allow it to start and run on it's own.  I always Prime the fuel system first and then put some fuel into the cylinder head through the spark plug hole before starting. Good luck. 

squonk

I dad the same thing on my C-160. Had 2 pumps. They would push fuel to Cleveland if operated by hand. On the engine barley a driddle. I finally determined I had a worn cam lobe. I installed an electric pump and the rest is history.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Herder

Adam what, exactly, do you do to prime the system?

I've never had to do this...

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

I dad the same thing on my C-160. Had 2 pumps. They would push fuel to Cleveland if operated by hand. On the engine barley a driddle. I finally determined I had a worn cam lobe. I installed an electric pump and the rest is history.

I've had that thought as well.

Thing is.... This engine did run. No internal change since.

squonk

My engine ran too. The pump to block gasket failed and it was leaking oil. I tried the original pump and a spare. And yes I did have the pump arm on the correct side of the cam..I must have had those pumps on and off 20 times. Finally I said the heck with it!

ebinmaine
Just now, squonk said:

My engine ran too. The pump to block gasket failed and it was leaking oil. I tried the original pump and a spare. And yes I did have the pump arm on the correct side of the cam..I must have had those pumps on and off 20 times. Finally I said the heck with it!

Hmm.....

Any way to check the cam lobe with a slide rule?

squonk

I stuck my pinky into the hole and had someone turn the engine over.I didn't feel much of a lift.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Herder
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Herder

Adam what, exactly, do you do to prime the system?

I've never had to do this...

Good morning EB I put fuel in a squeeze bottle with a nipple on it and use it to prime the system.  The fuel filter needs to primed too. 

ebinmaine
Just now, Herder said:

Good morning EB I put fuel in a squeeze bottle with a nipple on it and use it to prime the system.  The fuel filter needs to primed too. 

I can get good flow all the way to the carb inlet.

Is there a way to fill the carb bowl from the outside front?

Or should I just pop off the line and drip fuel in by holding a hose to the carb inlet and dropping gas in it?

Herder

This is the squeeze bottle that I use. Primitive I know but it works. I start prior to the fuel filter and lightly squeeze fuel through the system. This should plush most of the air out and make starting the engine easier. I would recommend that you crack the fuel line prior to the carburetor so that you can remove the air from the system. And like I said before I usually remove the spark plug and put a little bit of fuel down the cylinder head prior to starting it so that the engine fire and so the fuel pump begins to deliver fuel to the carburetor. I've had times before where these small tractors have run out of fuel and the system gets air bound once the system is air bound they can be very difficult to start.

20190217_071557.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

I had a similar issue on my case 220 with k241, the float was bad/sunk with fuel.

you should just be able to use full choke, with the case I had choke it with my palm over it to create enough suction to get fuel in the carb but then it flooded because of the bad float.

changing the carb fixed it

JoeM

EB your fuel tank is located up above the battery? There should not be to much for priming. Should almost self prime. Maybe a little compressed air in the tank to push the fuel. should come out of the carb hose. I just put the air nozzle in the tank and my hand to cover the hole. Just a little shot of air should do it.

Edited by OILUJ52
  • Like 3

dells68

Honestly guys, I’m going to start putting a marine primer bulb in line in the yard to start ones.  Did it on the D160.  2 squeezes and it fires every time!  That is only when it has been sitting for a while though.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 4

dells68

Thanks @KC9KAS.  That’s exactly what I’m talking about!

• Like 1

Shynon
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I can get good flow all the way to the carb inlet.

Is the carb inlet plugged?

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Is the carb inlet plugged?

Nope.

I took it off and checked the movement of the float and function of it as a valve.

Seems fine.

• Like 1

clueless
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Honestly guys, I’m going to start putting a marine primer bulb in line in the yard to start ones.  Did it on the D160.  2 squeezes and it fires every time!  That is only when it has been sitting for a while though.

Best thing I've done to my 312-8, it can sit for months, couple of squeezes, turn the key BOOMSAKALAKA, Houston we have lift off :thumbs:.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, jabelman said:

my palm over it

The winner!!!!

One of our hiking friends was over for a visit today and this was also her suggestion.

Worked perfectly.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

classiccat

My gosh that's a beautiful engine Eric!   Very smooth!

By chance do you have a tach you can throw on her?  (my one good ear was hearing a little north of 3600 :lol:).

Edited by classiccat
  • Like 2

tunahead72

Very nice Eric, and congratulations, but ...

Have you checked your top engine speed with a tach?  Sounds high to me, maybe. :unsure:

Don't want to see anything awful happen to that beautiful engine!

• Like 2