The Tuul Crib

Pto grease

The Tuul Crib

I recently went to Napa and found a grease  Seal for the PTO bell.  Till now I have not thought about adding grease to this location. There is no grease zerk in this  

area. The grease seal was a 14810. Does anyone else grease these needle bearing often ? 

Jojoca

Yes you should smear wheel bearing grease on them Periodically. 

• Like 1

cleat

Not too often.

And not too much, just a little on you finger and spread it on the bearing then slide the PTO back together and give it a spin.

It should spin easily and quietly.

• Like 2

lynnmor

Because of engine heat, I wash out all the old grease and use synthetic grease that won't melt.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Good idea Lynn, I have just been using wheel bearing grease but will have to get a tub of syn.

A small dab on the seal to avoid seal burn.

peter lena

agree with lynnmor on the synthetic grease, the spin up is quicker and smoother , use synthetic lube at all related points. if you add washers at the pto lever rod starting point, next to battery platform , and firm up its initial movement, it will transform its engagement, mine is so smooth its effortless. I finished mine off with a HEIM JOINT at the engine lever end. pete

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, peter lena said:

agree with lynnmor on the synthetic grease, the spin up is quicker and smoother , use synthetic lube at all related points. if you add washers at the pto lever rod starting point, next to battery platform , and firm up its initial movement, it will transform its engagement, mine is so smooth its effortless. I finished mine off with a HEIM JOINT at the engine lever end. pete

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that whenever you get a chance.....

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@peter lena I to would appreciate a picture of that Helm Joint on the PTO rod

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

clueless

:text-yeahthat:

peter lena

adding a heim joint to pto rod, having done this many times , http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7483  this is a no brainer, simple and easy, to over thread the 3/8"x 16 thread on rod to a 3/8" x 24 fine thread to match the heim joint thread. I just match the joint against what is there for fitment, on the pictures # 3 and # 5 are the pto rod. adding this, and firming up the start of rod movement next to battery  (  taking out all the play in angular movement with washers and lubricant ) make this lever work like magic. its easy, give it a try. Pete

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I'll have give the  synthetic grease a try for myself . Probably will do this on the yearly maintenance list!

• Like 1