Reel Mower Freak

Newest Score: 520HC

Reel Mower Freak

I just couldn’t pass on this one. I’ve always wanted a bigger Horse for yard work and this one came up. I was told it was low on power while cutting grass and mech told them it was too expensive to fix so it was driven in the barn and parked. Two/ three years later it’s mine. Looking forward to digging into this project hopefully sooner than later. 520HC with wheel weights and chains. 60” deck. 48”  two stage blower that looks pretty much unused. 

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

Excellent find those kind of deals don't come around in my area! A little clean up and you'll be ready to go!

• Like 2

cleat

The HC is my favorite.

You will love it once you get it running properly.

• Like 1

Sparky
13 hours ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

I was told it was low on power while cutting grass and mech told them it was too expensive to fix so it was driven in the barn and parked. 

Hopefully it hasn’t lost a valve seat causing the low power issue.

But if ya got it cheap enough with all the attachments you did fine. 

Reel Mower Freak
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Hopefully it hasn’t lost a valve seat causing the low power issue.

But if ya got it cheap enough with all the attachments you did fine. 

I think I did well even if it’s a complete basket case. I paid $400can. That two stage blower would double my money I would guess. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Reel Mower Freak

Today I pulled the plugs and turned it by hand. No catastrophic failure which is awesome. Plugs were terrible so picked up the only ones that matched in stock. E3’s. Being a holiday tomorrow I just bought them. Tractor fires with a hit of spray. Great news. Drained the tank. Repaired a cracked fuel line. Primed the pump and filter but no dice. One can only have so much luck. Digging deeper tomorrow or maybe tonight. Can’t get to the ultrasonic cleaner until Tuesday. Not sure I can wait. 

• Like 1

WildmanC120

Great score you got there.

Not trying to steal your thread but I'm curious how well these will run a 60" deck.  I just put in an offer for a house with 3.1 acres and currently only have a 42" deck.  I can get a 48" but think going to 60 will be best.  

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

Not trying to steal your thread but I'm curious how well these will run a 60" deck.  I just put in an offer for a house with 3.1 acres and currently only have a 42" deck.  I can get a 48" but think going to 60 will be best.  

That's what these Onans excel at, and the 60" decks only came on the C195 (twin Kohler) and 520s, might start looking for an xi series with a 60" deck or even a diesel sub compact utility like my Mahindra eMax size comparison between the eMax and xi pictured.

IMAG2969.jpg

IMAG2970.jpg

• Like 3

Reel Mower Freak
1 hour ago, WildmanC120 said:

I wish I could tell you. If it was me in your shoes I would opt for a zero turn dedicated mower. I love my old iron but you can’t touch those for productivity. I’m only doing an acre and a half here so I hope to try the deck this summer. 

WildmanC120
7 hours ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

I wish I could tell you. If it was me in your shoes I would opt for a zero turn dedicated mower. I love my old iron but you can’t touch those for productivity. I’m only doing an acre and a half here so I hope to try the deck this summer. 

I would love a quality zero turn but I don't have the money for that.  Going to spend all I have on the house.

I may consider doing the 520 front end swap on my 161 since it has the 22hp predator and find a 60" deck for that. 

• Like 2

Reel Mower Freak

Success is mine! It's alive. Drove it around the driveway for 10 minutes to get it warmed up and new gas with Seafoam run through it. Smokes a lot. Throttle surges and keeps backing down unless you hold it but it runs and moves. I'll take that as a win. Cleaned the carb as best as I could.Tweaked the fuel pump reeds a bit to get a better seal. Fired up right away. Much better than yesterday when it backfired and caught fire in the garage.Twice. I won't tell her that happened.:D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Carb will need a good cleaning to get rid of the surge.

Throttle rivet is loose. I drill them out and replace with a bolt and nyloc nut.

What caused the fire ?

Cleat

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak
15 minutes ago, cleat said:

Carb will need a good cleaning to get rid of the surge.

Throttle rivet is loose. I drill them out and replace with a bolt and nyloc nut.

What caused the fire ?

Cleat

There was some spilled gas around the carb area from cleaning out fuel lines and priming the fuel pump and filter. Also added some gas to the carb.It backfired and lit up. No big deal. Smothered it with a blanket. No damage. I just needed to know it would run before deciding on my next move. I'll pull the carb now and disassemble and run it in the ultrasonic cleaner. It's like magic. I thought the throttle spring may not be the correct one and it was pulling the cable back with to much force. I'll look at the rivet area. Thanks.

lynnmor

Wildman, yes, get a 60" deck or better yet a 52" to 72" zero turn depending on how even your ground is.  I have a 60" and am mowing about the same amount.  In the fall I use a 42" rear discharge and a large lawn sweeper.  I will be looking hard at zero turns this year to relieve the 520H's from some severe duty.

Freak, the Onans will puff a bit of smoke on a cold start, but it sounds like you have some issues.  When you pull the carb, replace the intake valve seals and adjust the valves.  You may have used too much snake oil causing the smoke, I never use the stuff.  The throttle issue was addressed by others.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

WildmanC120
18 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Wildman, yes, get a 60" deck or better yet a 52" to 72" zero turn depending on how even your ground is.  I have a 60" and am mowing about the same amount.  In the fall I use a 42" rear discharge and a large lawn sweeper.  I will be looking hard a zero turns this year to relieve the 520H's from some severe duty.

Freak, the Onans will puff a bit of smoke on a cold start, but it sounds like you have some issues.  When you pull the carb, replace the intake valve seals and adjust the valves.  You may have used too much snake oil causing the smoke, I never use the stuff.  The throttle issue was addressed by others.

No buying a zero turn for me.  I already have a few horses so need to utilize them.  No money to buy the zero turn.  Probably best I mod the 161 I have to run a 60".  I would actually rather drive around on the horse as I find mowing fun. 

lynnmor
6 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

No buying a zero turn for me.  I already have a few horses so need to utilize them.  No money to buy the zero turn.  Probably best I mod the 161 I have to run a 60".  I would actually rather drive around on the horse as I find mowing fun. 

You will find that the 60" will cut really smooth and do the job.  Yes, I don't mind running the Wheel Horse around, I just would like to cut the time and reduce the wear, keeping the horse from the glue factory as long as possible.  The 60" throws the grass out rather well so the horsepower required isn't a lot more than a 48" deck, it's the weight that works the frame and hitch that I don't like.  Also that deck weighs about 340 pounds and it is a bear to handle.  If you have provisions for a hoist to lift the tractor front and for lifting the deck, life would be much easier.

Reel Mower Freak

It’s every bit of that 340lbs. I was shocked when I loaded it on the trailer. Wow. 

WildmanC120

Wow. I never would have thought that deck would weigh that much.  There is one for sale close to me for $100.  It needs the bearings replaced in the spindles but the deck is solid.  I might pick it up as I can change bearings pretty easily. 

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Wow. I never would have thought that deck would weigh that much.  There is one for sale close to me for $100.  It needs the bearings replaced in the spindles but the deck is solid.  I might pick it up as I can change bearings pretty easily. 

Yep same deck on the xi series I had, but Toro had finally figured out an easier way to wrestle it out from under the frame, the front anti scalp wheels swiveled sideways as well as a rear wheel that came down to help with removal vs the classic style...that 60" deck on my eMax is closer to 400# but it's a drive over unit...here's a couple of it one with my 520s 48" deck.

IMAG4540.jpg

IMAG4538.jpg

cleat

The 60” deck spindle bearings are 6205-2RS.

I just remove the inner seal on both bearings for greasing or you can leave them sealed and not grease the spindles. It's up to you.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Excellent 1

Reel Mower Freak

My deck turned into a drive over deck whether it was designed that way or not. I just dropped the deck and we pushed the front backwards over it. It wasn’t sliding out on that uneven wood barn floor. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

reel mower freak, sounds like you are really getting after it, good going on that ! as you know, you are eliminating problems at every turn, that recovery desire is what this site is all about. seeing those mower decks upside down and getting the warming sun along with a good clean out and oil spray down will keep those decks alive ,and kill the moisture rot. Been doing that for years, thank you for taking us along with pictures , we are with you, pete

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak

Thanks Pete. That’s not my mower deck all shiny and clean though. Wish it was. Mine is a grease and oil soaked mess currently. Soon hopefully. Today I pulled the exhaust and intake. Cleaned it up and am resealing the seam in the intake. Cleaning and setting the valves. Maybe paint the exhaust then reassemble and test again.