mr biggs

Snowplowing with a garden tractor dually

mr biggs

Good morning to all those who enjoy wheel horse tractor and working them , but latley my mind been just laying low on these long snowy winter nights in Minnesota but the other day a truck drove by I really got my mind going again it was a lifted 93 Dodge diesel dually with a big ass plow on the front , and so I said I'm going to make my c195 a dually and extend my plow blade my question is why don't we see more Dually garden IMG_20190214_194323.jpg.497b767af948e597f2e88cc7983cbe1a.jpgIMG_20190128_134400.jpg.47bf4c983e9c0a10c10726fd5c5262ea.jpgtractors plowing snow? 

IMG_20190214_194421.jpg

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20190214193429.gif

• Like 8

Ed Kennell

Many believe narrow is better in snow.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

got a great idea there.:wwp: when your all done!  

lynnmor

The pounds per square inch with dual tires will be half.  I doubt you will gain much, and it may be much worse.

• Like 5

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Many believe narrow is better in snow.

Now that's cool! Same way in the 

mud!!?? :blink:

• Like 2

pfrederi

Back when there were dedicated snow plow trucks like Walters and FWD with big V Plows and wing plows on each side they were all singles.  Also look at dedicated airport snow machines they also are usually singles.

• Like 4

peter lena

Mr. Biggs, if you want to be different, and make up a dually  set up for your c195 , that is your choice. but the work and expense will show little gain, from the much lighter weight  " footprint " your c195 will make on the ground, to the added stress on the axel flanges and bearings . I have been plowing snow for 40 + years and my horse , with single 850 x23x12 tires and good single link chains really gets it done. having said that ,I would like to see what your results are with this set up, and I wish you luck with it. love the model t getting after the snow, great stuff ! pete

• Like 2

mr biggs
23 minutes ago, peter lena said:

Mr. Biggs, if you want to be different, and make up a dually  set up for your c195 , that is your choice. but the work and expense will show little gain, from the much lighter weight  " footprint " your c195 will make on the ground, to the added stress on the axel flanges and bearings . I have been plowing snow for 40 + years and my horse , with single 850 x23x12 tires and good single link chains really gets it done. having said that ,I would like to see what your results are with this set up, and I wish you luck with it. love the model t getting after the snow, great stuff ! pete

IMG_20181018_171128.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

mr biggs

Thanks 

formariz
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

The pounds per square inch with dual tires will be half.  I doubt you will gain much, and it may be much worse.

Correct answer. One has only to look to Rally Racing to see what change they do to their cars when racing on snow. They switch to sometimes ridiculously looking skinny tires. The much smaller area of contact drastically increases downward pressure on a smaller area therefor increasing traction. A wider tire essentially will function like a sled.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

I’m not sure how well the duals will work for plowing as my experience with them on trucks is that they load the air space between them and create in effect a really fat “slick”. I have always found that skinny tires with good tread work the best and 2-link chains on ice/greasy snow...

However, I can’t wait to see pictures of how beastly a Super C will look with duals. IF it doesn’t work as well as you like for snow work, you can take them off and put them on as needed!  I’ll be watching to see how this comes out. :popcorn: You have to video snow plowing with it and post it for sure...

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

If you liquid filled both pairs of tires and ran chains on both pair I think it would be a snow monster. Without the added weight it would be a bit of a disappointment.

2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

However, I can’t wait to see pictures of how beastly a Super C will look with duals.

:text-yeahthat:                It would look awesome!               :wwp:

You have great fabrication skills!                 :handgestures-salute:

IMG_20190214_194421.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
photo
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Super-C 4 me
4 hours ago, mr biggs said:

Good morning to all those who enjoy wheel horse tractor and working them , but latley my mind been just laying low on these long snowy winter nights in Minnesota but the other day a truck drove by I really got my mind going again it was a lifted 93 Dodge diesel dually with a big ass plow on the front , and so I said I'm going to make my c195 a dually and extend my plow blade my question is why don't we see more Dually garden IMG_20190214_194323.jpg.497b767af948e597f2e88cc7983cbe1a.jpgIMG_20190128_134400.jpg.47bf4c983e9c0a10c10726fd5c5262ea.jpgtractors plowing snow? 

IMG_20190214_194421.jpg

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20190214193429.gif

This is a C-195 correct?

4 lugs? what happen to the other 2 lugs?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Cool idea but I tend to agree with others that it may float more...even with weight and chains...

Love the Blackhoods!  :ph34r:

pics please when done!!!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

squonk

One thing that hasn't been pointed out. Wider blade means more weight to push adding even more stress and power /traction needed to move.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

It would be a decent Mud machine.

Snow... Not so much.

I far prefer to have a single axle truck in the snow when possible.

4 tires instead of 8 cuts more deeply into the snow/slush.

• Like 2

mr biggs
18 hours ago, bmiller0457 said:

This is a C-195 correct?

4 lugs? what happen to the other 2 lugs?

I made two sets these are for the gt14 &c195 

• Like 3

mr biggs
18 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Cool idea but I tend to agree with others that it may float more...even with weight and chains...

Love the Blackhoods!  :ph34r:

pics please when done!!!

SHOULD HAVE SOME UP TODAY but to be honest I don't do things because they're practical what motivate me is different,  cool never seen before that's what drives me I have 11 machines so I have more than enough to get the snow moved

IMG_20181202_120645.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Yeah, we all like the cool look.

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.e59d311fa855b82c696a9c6b29149c51.JPG

Tell us more about the heat collector on that snow chucker.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Shynon

:text-welcomeconfetti: from a fellow Minnesotan, looks like you have a nice heard. Like the Big C